Abrica

I'm trying to pick out the perfect dog for me. Must be:
small
not too energetic
able to live with children age 7+
not too hard to groom
trainable
I was thinking about a papillon

Papillons can be a real pain to groom. I like Bubbat's idea. Would you be willing to go a little larger? Bigger dogs tend to be more tolerant of small children anyway.

Papillons do have a lot of hair....and they're pretty delicate. I think a Golden could be a pretty good choice...they're great with kids, do require grooming, but not a ton, they could go with a walk and some playtime every day (if your kids would enjoy playing fetch, I'm sure the dog would be more than happy), are very intelligent and trainable.

bubbatd

Don't let space be a consideration for a small dog.... I had a 4 bedroom home....lots of space on 8 acres.....where were my 4 goldens.....in my kitchen or wherever I or my kids were hanging out. GREAT with kids !!!

Actually, going to the humane society and looking for a dog that's out of the puppy stage is a wonderful way to find the "perfect" dog for your family. When they're a bit older you can have a much better idea of what you're getting; personality, temperament and size. And any puppy you get that's healthy is going to be energetic - and need lots of time and training!

Abrica

and the kids are not very rough or anything so they can handle it, their both girls so not much horseplay

We get a lot of terrier-sized mutts in at the humane society, and they seem to be reasonably hardy. Why not run by your local shelter and see what they've got? Mutts are healthier and tend to be a little more even-tempered. Besides, you can feel good about saving a life!

Abrica

a papillon mix would be okay. they seem like really cool dogs. I dont mind grooming time though so that's not a problem. I'm probably going to get it from the humane society here. And yes, i have talked it over with my parents

You seem pretty prepared!! And thank you for researching.

I know a "Pap Person". She is a member here...her username is Rip's Girl. She's got an adorable male Papillon, I believe he weighs around 4 lbs.. A real cutie, lol.

gapeach

Big Mutts
*pat on the back* Good job taking the time and not just begging mom for puppy

bubbatd

Glad you leveled with us !!! We don't admit Pinochios (sp) on this forum !!! { hug }

Members online

No members online now.