Cost of Cats

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
It's way more important IMO/IME that a cat be on a correct (ie: canned/raw) diet than dogs!
I totally agree!

Our cat is on gf canned and I am going to try out and see how she likes HK prowl since our pet food store carries that now.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I totally agree!

Our cat is on gf canned and I am going to try out and see how she likes HK prowl since our pet food store carries that now.
If she doesn't like the Prowl, they just came out with another formula, which is turkey instead of chicken. Make sure if you get anything larger than the trial size that the store will take it back if your cat doesn't like it!
With Prowl I have found that some cats (even the ones that will eat EVERYTHING) just won't touch it.

Tahla9999

I could never get a cat from a breeder, because I, honestly, just don't see the difference in personality between a purebred and a rescue off the streets.

My whole family, close and extended, has cats, all rescues, and they have all lived to be in their 20's, with zero health problems, and extremely friendly and outgoing. Is it just purebred cats that have these health issues?

It's a cultural thing, too. My shelter charges $45 for cats, and people balk at the mere idea of paying more than $5.
It does depend on the person. I'd pay upward of 50-60 for a good rat, but I don't care who you are, I wont be spending 200 for one, unless it is a new breed who live upwards of 12 years or more. There are cat people who would pay 2000+ for a cat while I'd pay about 400-500,maybe 600. I have a limit on dogs. I wouldn't pay more than 2000 for a dog. Do what you do.

I'd love to have a pet Fennex Fox one day. 800+ for them, but good lord I want one!!:p

I personally wouldn't buy a cat from a breeder, so I definitely wouldn't be willing to pay that much for a cat. When I look for my next cat, I have a list of personality and physical characteristics I want, but I don't want a specific breed or specific lines - I'm pretty sure if I wait long enough, I'll find what I want in a shelter/rescue. However, I can definitely see why good, reputable breeders charge that much for their cats - it's hard, expensive work!

It's way more important IMO/IME that a cat be on a correct (ie: canned/raw) diet than dogs!
Yes! Which is why, when/if I get another cat, I will be making sure that he/she is a good eater, first and foremost.

Ain't that the truth! We have so many customers who come into our store for dog food, then head to WalMart for their Cat Chow. Ugh. We hear "it's just a cat" so often, it's sickening.
Or the people that are buying Orijen/Acana/Nature's Variety/raw for their dogs, and buy Science Diet/Royal Canin for their cats. Your cat is more of a carnivore than your dog. This makes no sense.

yoko

Being a mutt person I don't understand most people since paying over $100 for a dog blows me away :p

I love my rats and hamsters I have had. I cried over my hamster Gary dying for over a week. But those little rodents have so many health problems and die after only 2-3 years as much as I love them I don't think I could justify buying one at over $30 initial cost for.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I have wanted a fennec for years and prepared hard to bring one into my home, only to find out apparently they aren't bred in this country anymore. But, the breeder we had picked out was $1200 for a kit.

joce

Don't want to pay it don't get one.

Ever been to a cat show? :yikes: Nuff said! They put just as much work into their animals as us dog people do. And many dog breeds cost far more than cats. I don't see the problem.

I have bought my Siamese and balinese from breeders and bred in high school for my FFA project. Ended up giving them all to family though except my Siamese I still have that is near 17 I think and healthy as can be.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I have wanted a fennec for years and prepared hard to bring one into my home, only to find out apparently they aren't bred in this country anymore. But, the breeder we had picked out was $1200 for a kit.
I always wanted one... but unfortunately, they don't make good pets at all :( They are never really litter box or house trained, and they are messy, and just ugh. I was talking with a rescue about them, and they basically steered me away from them just cause they aren't that great of pets. They sure are cute, though

Dekka

Just try me..
Animals are typically price for what they can do. Animals who main purpose was for companionship are typically cheaper( rats, ferrets, snakes, rabbits), which is why I wondered why cats were so darn expensive. I plan to go more into the cat world and make a decision whether or not I'd go for a rescue or breeder route.

as has been said cats 'do' the same amount as 99% of the dogs out there. Provide great companionship to the people who love them. Even as valuable property, there is no difference in 'do' between a show persian or a show cav

You mention rabbits. Rabbits breed super easily, and VERY often. They do less showing and less health testing. Combine that and they are cheaper. Also the cost of housing and keeping them is MUCH less as well.. therefore lower costs make sense.

Which is why I made the destinction between cats and dogs. I would pay up to 800 or more for a dog and would be pretty suspious of breeder of say, germans shepherds who are giving out puppies for 300. I'm not too familar with the cat world, but cats generally have less health problems, easier to take care of compared to dogs, and are breed strictly for companion or show.

I mean, there is a distinction of cost between animals of all kinds. Rats, what wonderful creatures they are, cost between 10 to 30 dollars. Ferrets tend to go for 60 and up. Rabbits tend to go for 40 and up, some are less. People show rabbits as well and the cost for them is somewhere around 100 and less. Rarer pets, of course, are much more expensive. I don't see why the cost of owning a well-bred cat should be such a dramatic difference. It probably due to the fact that, along with dogs, cats are the most popular pets to have and can afford that cost.

Do I think cat prices need to be lowerd. Yes I do. It is an opinion. It is not like I could actually do anything about it. This is more of a rant than anything.
So you think they should be lowered? Even after all this thread? You think cat breeders who are doing it all (housing, health testing, showing, amazing care for all breeding animals and kittens) should sell at a loss because you don't think they are worth it? That is a little offensive. I get told that I shouldn't charge so much for my dogs because 'so and so' is selling JRT pups for 250 bucks down the road. I get a little offended. Just because 'so and so' doesn't health test, show, feeds Ol' Roy, breeds what ever is handy, doesn't do much in the way of vet care... I should lower my prices and take a bigger loss than I already do..

Ya, just adopt if you don't like the prices. But 'products' are worth what people will pay as well as how much they cost to produce. So while I think apple products are over priced for what they are (and no they are not selling at cost like most well bred pets) I don't jump up and down and say apple products need to lower their prices. I just don't buy them... So I think you need to chill on both sides of the coin. Even if well bred cats weren't costly to produce (and they are) if they can sell every kitten they produce for 10k, more power to them.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I always wanted one... but unfortunately, they don't make good pets at all :( They are never really litter box or house trained, and they are messy, and just ugh. I was talking with a rescue about them, and they basically steered me away from them just cause they aren't that great of pets. They sure are cute, though
I've heard they can be difficult, but I'm still pretty set on one if I ever can. Growing up with difficult exotics prepared me a bit, I think. I definitely prefer them to other foxes, though.

Dekka

Just try me..
I would love a sibe fox (omg can you imagine with JRTs!!)

how cute are these?!!

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I've noticed many people who buy from a cattery will often go on to do things with the cat. Most of the well-trained cats I have seen are purebred Bengals, or Abby's, etc.
I suppose it's a great way of getting your money's worth, not that a rescue kitty can't be trained of course. Always found that interesting though. Seems many who go to cat breeders are looking for a little something more.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I would love a sibe fox (omg can you imagine with JRTs!!)

how cute are these?!!
Love those. I've talked to some owners on my exotic forum who have these. I've seen some amazing colours in the red fox too.

Are other foxes legal to own in Ontario?

JessLough

Love My Mutt
There's this guy in town... he goes to all the dog events and stuff, with his Maine Coon. He has a stroller for it, for when it gets tired, but otherwise it walks on it's leash, telling off all the dogs...

monkeys23

I would love to have a purebred Maine Coon someday. Buuuuut given that I don't make much money I kinda doubt that will happen. However cheap/free cats can be extremely expensive. My "free" cat that I took from the barn took several hundred just get her healthy enough to spay... won't even go into the other medical costs. That said, once healthy she's gone back into kittenhood and is one of most playful, companionable, and well adjusted cats I have ever had. And I've had at least one cat of my own since I was four, lol. They were all awesome, but Missy is pretty special.

I hate hearing people say "its just a cat." Ugh poor cats!

Can I just say trying to transition a kibble addict blows? Seriously... dang cat. Oh well at least its really good kibble I guess (wellness Core).

I dunno, I found a really great Maine Coon breeder (kittens go home speutered as well as vaccinated, microchipped, etc.) and would be more than willing to shell out for a healthy kitten with all that taken care of and such a good start with socialization and being raised right with good food. In any case, I'm not getting another until Missy is gone (she doesn't play well with other cats) and hopefully thats like another decade.

Funny my other cat besides Missy is still kicking. She's 13 this year and was a birthday gift as a kitten because I'd lost my old cat that spring. Pretty sure it was kidney failure. Anyway I got Missy because my other cat Scummy has always lived at my parent's and we all felt it would be cruel to move her at 10yrs old... she's much happier hunting around home and sleeping under the woodstove than she would be in town. I swear the main reason she is so healthy is because of how much she hunts and eats what she kills... I buy good food, but my friggin' stepdad doesn't use it. So Friskies wet/dry it is... Makes me cranky!

Tahla9999

I want a chance to raise a kitten to adulthood, but rescue is still not out of the question. I got a long time to decide though.

I want these cats enough that, when push comes to shove I would open my pocket more just to have one. That still doesn't mean I'm not disgruntle by the cost, but this is more of a rant thread then anything. Dekka, I'm saving up to get me a good electronic drawing pad, and I'm ranting to my fellow artist on the cost of it! Hopefully, I will be able to find good cat breeders who breed for health and temperament and in my price range. If not, then I will just suck it up and push up my price range.

There were these people who came to an outside pet event with a bengal on a harness. Just beautiful!! I would love to walk a cat.

Members online

No members online now.