Ate lots of chocolate............

mjb

Spanky ate quite a bit of semi-sweet chocolate. He found a 12 oz. bag of choc chips that was pretty full. They were left out, and he ate them after we went to bed last night.

He wouldn't eat this morning, which was a sign that something was wrong. He lives to eat. He was drinking huge amounts of water, and he was acting like he didn't feel good. Then I found the empty bag.

I called the vet and took him in. He's been there all day, and he will spend the night at the Emergency Vet Hospital. The vet induced vomiting, and was giving lots of fluids to flush the toxin out.

They said the toxic level which is when seizures and heart erythmia start is 60 mg/kg, and he was at 103 mg/kg. He has not had a seizure, and his heart has been fine.

Spanky seems to be doing okay. The vet says the first 24 hours are the most critical, but it can take up to 72 hours to get rid of all the toxin.

Has anyone had this scenario and know what we should expect for the next few days?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I don't have a lot to offer except bodhi has eaten tons of chocolate in the past and she's never had a problem, so could be all ok.

I might add, this wasn't given to her, its the only thing she will sniff out and steal. I can leave an open bag of dog food and it won't be touched, but stash a choc bar somewhere and she'll find it. She once ate a whole box of luxury chocs which she found, wrapped, under the Xmas tree...

Thankfully never had a reaction, so fingers crossed :)

elegy

overdogged
It seems some dogs are more sensitive than others. Here's hoping that Spanky is not an especially sensitive dog and that he cruises through his recovery without a hitch!

Members online

No members online now.