Hairy Xolo

RD

Are you dead yet?
He looks like 95% of the street dogs here! Maybe they're all hairy Xolos! LOL.

He is soooo cute.

I have seen them in person in the mexican city zoo :popcorn: , but those had short coats like the red dog here File:Hairless and coated half.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Acully the coated dogs are in the standar, however they can't be shown they are used for health in the breeding like the powderpuff of the chinese crested.

FCI standar said:
SKIN :
Hairless variety : Due to the total absence of hair, the skin of this breed is of great importance. It is smooth, sensitive to touch and feels warmer because of direct heat emission due to the lack of hair; however its body temperature is the same as in other dogs with hair. The difference with haired breeds, which disperse body heat through natural ventilation, is that the skin requires more care from exposure to the sun and elements due to its lack of natural protection. Accidental scars are not penalized. The dog tends to sweat through its feet (foot pads and inter-digital membranes), which is why other than in extreme heat it seldom pants. It should be free of obvious skin problems.
Coated Variety : The skin of the coated Xoloitzcuintle is smooth and should be completely covered with hair.

COAT

HAIR :
Hairless variety : The characteristic of this breed is the total lack of hair on the body (hairless or nude dog) although there are some short, coarse thick hairs of any color on the forehead and back of the neck that should never be longer than 2.5 centimeters and should never form a long, soft topknot. It is common to find rough hair on the feet and on the end of the tail, however its absence should not be penalized.

Coated Variety : This variety of the Xoloitzcuintle has hair all over its body. It can be expected to have very little hair on its belly and inside the rear legs.

LilahRoot

Acully the coated dogs are in the standar, however they can't be shown they are used for health in the breeding like the powderpuff of the chinese crested.
Ummm powderpuff chinese cresteds are shown.

Ummm powderpuff chinese cresteds are shown.
Yes I seen them in shows :) what I ment they must be breed a hairless and a coated to keep good health like in cresteds, for what I heard breeding a hairless with another hairless it can result in death puppies.

LilahRoot

Yes I seen them in shows :) what I ment they must be breed a hairless and a coated to keep good health like in cresteds, for what I heard breeding a hairless with another hairless it can result in death puppies.
Since I have a major head ache and don't feel like explaining it myself wikipedia is going to help me:

The Hairless allele (the wild type) is a dominant (and homozygous prenatal lethal) trait, while the Powderpuff allele acts as a simple recessive trait in its presence. Zygotes that receive two copies of the Hairless allele will never develop into puppies. Thus all Chinese cresteds carry at least one copy of the Powderpuff allele.

The Powderpuff trait cannot be bred out because it is carried by all Chinese cresteds (even the hairless ones). All Hairless Chinese crested have the ability to produce Powderpuff puppies, even when they are bred to another Hairless. On the other hand, Powderpuffs bred to another Powderpuff can never produce hairless puppies, since they do not carry the Hairless gene.
I really prefer the hairless xolos, to be honest. He is adorable though. Is he up for adoption?

patrickt

I have an eight-month old coated Xoloitzcuintli. We've been together for a little less than two weeks and so far he's great. Sadly, most breeders here kill the coated pups because they have no sale value. I got mine for free from a breeder who doesn't kill them but he'd had Diego for eight-months before I took him.

So far, I like his personality characteristics and we fit together well. We did have problems with separation anxiety but he's much better. He lived with Mom and Dad his whole life and moving in with me was traumatic.

Nice dog. Oh, this one is great with kids. I don't have little kids but I meet many on the street and he's been friendly and patient.

Members online

No members online now.