Dog Cloning

KGQ

Hi all,

I just finished watching a video on dog cloning. Can you believe that they are doing this. Now I Understand that when you lose your dog it can be heartbreaking but to pay $100,000 to clone your dog. Just think, how much good that would do to a charity. And then think of millions of dogs that are in pounds and get euthanized every year, why not choose one of them. I'm sure they will love you just as much, but I guess to each there own.

What is your opinion on dog cloning?

Lyzelle

Cloning can have it's uses when it comes to breeding if the animal was neutered at a young age, but would be a fabulous, amazing asset to a breeding program. That's mostly how it is being used in the Horse industry, although a few people with too much money are going way overboard.

Now, in dogs...more politics, less working, and of course...you have a less gestation time and higher number of offspring. So, meh.

But I don't really have an opinion one way or another, besides that. If someone wants to spend the money, they can go for it.

I would never do it, but it's not my business how someone else chooses to spend their disposable income. Lots of us blow money that could do a lot of good if given to charity.

Gypsydals

I wouldn't do it. And I wouldn't be allowed to either. LOL The world does NOT.NEED. an Ivan clone.

BostonBanker

I'll never have that kind of money to even consider it, but I make no judgements of those who have the money and spend it on that. They earned it, they can do what they like with it. That's like me saying that because I got both my dogs for $25 each, any of you that spent more than that are wasting money you should give to the poor.

If it makes someone happy to remember their beloved pet in that way, more power to them. I'm sure the clone will receive more than its fair share of love. I think there are too many other amazing dogs out there for me to experience to want to "repeat".

KGQ

I'm not saying how people should spend their money. However you spend your money is up to you, that's why I said "to each there own". I was just stating that spending $100,000 to clone a dog you have already shared a (dogs) life with is a lot of money. When you can go and pick a dog up from the pound, or any dog that is in need of a home and give them a chance to have a good life. That is just my thoughts.

Tahla9999

Yeah I wanted to slap the women who clone her female pet pit bull which resulting in, like, five puppies. ALL the pit bulls dying in shelters and you created more! Keep in mind that not one dog is just produce. There are other puppies. So someone cloning there pet is creating an unnessary litter. Cloning gets a thumbs down for me.

Barbara!

If I had the money, I would definitely do it.

I actually have the remains of one of my cats saved, to clone once we have the money, if we eve have the money. We lost him in a freak accident, and I would love to have him back.

YodelDogs

The problem with cloning is that while you get an animal that is genetically identical to the deceased animal, it will not have the same personality of the deceased. You will not get more time with your pet. You will get time with a lookalike.

It is extremely unlikely that I would want to clone a pet but if someone else wants to have it done I don't have a problem with it.

houlahoops

The PBR industry has been doing a lot of this lately, and I can't help feeling that it's a bit of a cheap thing to do in a competitive industry where the caliber of the performer is mostly innate.

As for pets...I don't know much about the process (how safe/humane it is, etc), but I can't condemn it out of hand. To me, it's not really any different than someone spending 100 grand on a performance or show pup (...I think you'd have to buy a hundred pups but stay with me). It's excessive to me, but so what? I do what I want with my money too.

yoko

Not for me. I love Yoshi and would do anything for her. But to have an 'imitation' Yoshi wouldn't be fair to her or to me. When I get another dog after Yoshi is gone it will have a clean slate. I may compare things to Yoshi but this is a new dog with a new personality. Having a dog cloned that looks like Yoshi just wouldn't be fair to the dog. There is a huge change it wouldn't act like Yoshi and everytime I'd look at it, it would just be a painful reminder that I couldn't have MY Yoshi back.

Members online

No members online now.