Paw pad injury

Tazwell

So Last night Fleetwood went with my friend (Jordan) to play with the dogs that he watches all the time. They were playing fetch with the chuck-it, which they always do- but it can get pretty intense. When Fleetwood came home, he could hardly walk :yikes:

Jordan said that Buddy, a 70ish lb GSP, smashed into his hip area full speed, sending him into a barrel roll... I panicked, checking him up and down for any breaks or soreness or injury, but couldn't find anything. The worst of the limping was coming from a back leg.

Later on, I noticed he was licking at his foot, and with a more through examination, I saw the injury to his pad. Its not a deep cut or anything, but the surface of the pad has sort of peeled off in a really unusual way. It goes all the way down to his webbing (but hasn't affected the webbing area) so he must have cut it on something. It didn't bleed, it just sort of exposed a softer looking tissue underneath.

I had a similar injury happen to a dog that I was biking with once, and that healed without any problem. He limped the first day, but that was it. Its been 24 hours and Fleetwood is still holding almost all weight off of that foot, I'm kind of thinking that's not the only injury he has :(

If he's still limping on Tuesday he's going to his vet, but hopefully nothing will get worse before then so we don't have to go to the e-vet. Suggestions on how to care for this, our vibes for quick healing?

Kilter

Totally normal pad injury. He's worn off the layer of skin sounds like. Happens a lot in dogs that don't go for a lot of runs or only go on grass, then go nuts on rocks or cement, or twist the wrong way (a friend had her THREE dogs all do it once) after something.

Keep it clean, let him rest (so no more chuck it, and no crazy stuff for a week or so) and it should heal just fine. You should make sure it stays clean but otherwise it should heal on it's own.

If he's also pulled something, keeping him quiet will help it heal and usually vets will tell you to crate rest for a bit before they start looking for the cause. Unless of course it's getting worse or you're really concerned. The rule of thumb I use is rest them till they're not limping, then add half the number of days it took for them to get to that (so limping for six days, then not limping for 3), then slowly work back to regular stuff.

Tazwell

Thanks kilter. I'm actually on the floor sitting with him right now, and I checked out out his paw pad again, its already healing up enough to where its hardly noticeable. Which probably means with that much lameness still, its gotta be something else hurting him. Darn it. Hopefully it will go away with rest!

Kilter

I hope so too! Been there, done that quite a few times. Arnica would be something to give to help things heal.

I remember one of my old dog's littermates hurt herself, so they rushed to the vet, paid $200 or so to a vet to do xrays and such and got told 'just keep her quiet for 2 weeks'. I laughed because I TOLD HER THAT when it first happened, just keep her quiet and see, but no, had to go pay a vet. Oh and she also was told to come back for another exam (and pay for it) when the 2 weeks was over, which she did listen to me on and skip.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
If hes still holding the weight off that foot on Tuesday, I'd get him into a vet, and I'm one to just wait it out. The GSP bowling into his hip are at full speed and now this would worry me.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I would take him if he's still limping tomorrow, but I'll also say that this is common at my work (most of dogs never run as hard anywhere else as they do with us, lol), and the dogs can limp pretty significantly. It's just a very tender area and very uncomfortable injury.

Good old Neosporin always does the trick for us. :) When you get him back to running/fetch, some Musher's Secret would help too.

Buy this (got ours at TSC store):

http://emtgel.com/

It's what I used on Enda when she sliced a back toe pad (suspect it was glass) the Monday before we were to show on Thursday. It was bleeding ALL over! Not a deep cut, but after looking online I saw reviews for that and called my father to pick some up on his way home from work. The slice was nearly complete healed together by the time we got to the show! And "soft pads" seems to be a thing that runs in young Beaucerons, wish I knew about this stuff before when she had licked open a sore on her pad before another show (she did show just fine) she had kicked the dremel as I was doing her nails, ugh.

cliffdog

Oh man, I hate pad injuries. Yeah, they are pretty common, but it sure does seem uncomfortable, poor boy. Hope it doesn't take too long to heal up.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
The bandage should be a piece of gauze secured by loosely wrapping a self adhesive tape around it. Make sure the tape is not snug as you don't want to cut off circulation. The cut should heal in three to four days which means you will probably have to replace the bandage at least twice to prevent infection.
Can't even give health advise without copying other people's work I see. Quit with the plagiarism.

Members online

No members online now.