Weird cravings (non-pregnancy)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
That thread got me thinking...

I have random cravings sometimes. No, I'm not pregnant. ;) It will be one thing for months and then the cravings will go away. It's always something really weird though. A couple years ago I craved radishes. Right now it's been sweet potatoes. The weird thing to me is that prior to having cravings for these two things, I really disliked them both.

What in the world is that a about?

Locke

Sometimes I get SERIOUS cravings for those sliced green olives in a jar...I will eat spoonfuls of them and then not touch them for months.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I've been craving sweet potatoes, but in a very particular way. The sushi man down the street makes a maki roll with deep fried sweet potato, it's the only time I've ever really loved them. Ugh, so good.

I don't get weird cravings, but I do just plain eat weird things.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
For about the last 4-5 days mine has been donuts filled with lemon jelly (which I haven't been able to find) or cheese with honey mustard (which I have been eating). LoL.

BostonBanker

I've been on such an orange juice kick for the last couple of weeks. Like a couple of half-gallons a week. I don't dislike it, but I certainly never bought it or craved it before.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I could eat sweet potatoes every meal and be happy right now (I don't obviously, but it's that bad)

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Mostly broccoli right now. Beef and broccoli, fresh broccoli and ranch. Ect. I tend to think cravings are your bodys way of telling you you're missing something.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Mostly broccoli right now. Beef and broccoli, fresh broccoli and ranch. Ect. I tend to think cravings are your bodys way of telling you you're missing something.
In red, I agree wholeheartedly.

Somedays I crave milk (which I hate drinking by itself, so I put a ton of it in my coffee), or a VERY VERY weird one I have been craving for the last 4 or so days is water. I hate water. It is so plain and blah to me, but by golly doodle I am drinking it like the wells are running dry lol

Paige

Let it be
I don't really get cravings. I some times want to eat something junky and sweet but that's because I like sweet things. I cure that by eating fruit instead of candy and the desire is gone.

Gypsydals

I tend to think cravings are your bodys way of telling you you're missing something.
Agreed. My cravings aren't necessarily weird but are weird for me. I am not a chocolate lover by any means. But yet atleast once a month I crave it and it has to be those microwavable brownies with the caramel. I also am not a big red meat person, and yet every now and then I crave a bit fat med rare steak. It happens about every 3 to months. I figure my body is telling me I need some iron or something that is only in steak. Water is another one I will crave every now and then. Most times my water is flavored, sometimes though I just need it plain.

Saeleofu

My most common one is salt. Not always, but every couple months I just want ALL THE SALT. I do generally eat a pretty low-sodium diet, so my guess is sometimes I just need more.

Shark week is almost always chocolate. But that's hardly unusual lol.

In the past I've had a month or two of wanting pizza, fries, nuts, pickles, banana peppers, bacon, extra sharp cheddar cheese, feta cheese, spinach, southwest salad, steak, etc. but most of those are not unusual. They just last for a couple months then go away. Like now, pizza sounds disgusting to me. But there was a time I wanted to eat pizza for every meal lol.

I think right now I'm craving dark, dark chocolate. I discovered 86% and 90% dark chocolate this week and OMG IT'S SO GOOD. A couple weeks ago I went through 3 giant jars of Vlassic dills (like, Sam's Club size) in a week.

My weirdest is probably honey mustard, but ONLY from Quizno's, and only all by itself.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I tend to think cravings are your bodys way of telling you you're missing something.
^^ Another agreement from me. I have a crazy active metabolism, and I've learned that if I crave something, I eat it. It works out for me because I almost never crave sweets or junk food. My usual cravings tend to be veggies, fruits or sometimes milk. I also have a problem with low iron, and I start really craving red meat whenever my iron is getting low. I mean REALLY craving it. I'll be driving past a herd of cattle, and I have to resist the urge to pull over, get out of the car and drag one down like a hyena. It's kinda funny, because I generally prefer seafood, chicken or pork over beef at any other time. But when I'm craving red meat, I can easily eat an entire 18 oz steak in one sitting. Cooked to rare, of course.

We go through a lot of ribeyes during shark week. :eek:

Locke

I've been craving sweet potatoes, but in a very particular way. The sushi man down the street makes a maki roll with deep fried sweet potato, it's the only time I've ever really loved them. Ugh, so good..
Yam Tempura Maki....so delicious! Definitely my favourite maki roll.

Paige

Let it be
I love yams! Anyway you want to make them I will happily eat them.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
^^ Another agreement from me. I have a crazy active metabolism, and I've learned that if I crave something, I eat it. It works out for me because I almost never crave sweets or junk food. My usual cravings tend to be veggies, fruits or sometimes milk. I also have a problem with low iron, and I start really craving red meat whenever my iron is getting low. I mean REALLY craving it. I'll be driving past a herd of cattle, and I have to resist the urge to pull over, get out of the car and drag one down like a hyena. It's kinda funny, because I generally prefer seafood, chicken or pork over beef at any other time. But when I'm craving red meat, I can easily eat an entire 18 oz steak in one sitting. Cooked to rare, of course.

We go through a lot of ribeyes during shark week. :eek:
This sounds like me right now. I know I have iron issues, especially around shark week (cannot tell you guys how much I love this term) since being off of depo and having to go through some of the worst shark MONTHS of my life. I never crave cow so much.
I'm craving steak and salt right now. I can fix the salt thing, I just went and grabbed a huge bowl of tostitos corn chips, and a chocolate chip cookie. I'm having a really bad snacking night, like really bad. I had a salad but it satiated me 0% because it wasn't what I was craving.

After reading this thread, and this reply in particular, I got up and went and told the boyfriend that we're having steak for dinner sometime this week if I have to coax the cow home myself.

Saeleofu

I'll be driving past a herd of cattle, and I have to resist the urge to pull over, get out of the car and drag one down like a hyena.
I've so been there! It's pretty bad when you drive by a herd of cattle and they look tasty :rofl1:

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I've so been there! It's pretty bad when you drive by a herd of cattle and they look tasty :rofl1:
LOL! Yeah, my sister has the same metabolism and iron issues that I have, and gets the same craving for red meat. Once she was REALLY wanting some meat and complained to her husband about it. He thought about it and said, "I know! There's some turkey lunchmeat in the fridge!"

Needless to say, he ended up taking her out for dinner once the smoke cleared . :rofl1:

thehoundgirl

Mackenzie River Pizza. We haven't ate there since my birthday which was in September. Their Sequioua pizza is awesome. But it's not a "weird" craving. I am getting a personal pizza Friday from there. :) I am usually always craving a salad, too but I don't think it's weird personally. The only semi-weird craving I have right now is black licorice. I love it!

Members online