Mini Doxie found vicious for biting a vet tech

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
All I can say to this is . . . what the heck?

YesBiscuit!: CO Vet's Office FAIL

I used to have a cat that attempted to murder anyone in a white coat at the vet's office . . . claws, fangs, the whole business. He really was "vicious", at least towards the vet. It never occurred to anyone to declare him "vicious" in a legal sense, even after he shredded a vet who ignored my warning. Admittedly, that's a cat, not a dog, but animals freak out at the vet . . . its not ideal, its something to avoid, but it happens. Scared animals bite. Animals are scared at the vet. What is with these people?

Lolas Dad

So when the owner was told at the Vet visit to hold her dog and the technician put her face up to Spork's, he bit the technician's chin.
The so called Vet Tech should have known not to put their face in the dogs face. I'd say the technician was at fault and perhaps they are in the wrong profession.

Unlike most dogs Lola loves going to the vet. When the vet or vet tech gives her a shot I am the one that turns away and winces, Lola just sits their like nothing happened without even making the slightest yelp.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
The so called Vet Tech should have known not to put their face in the dogs face. I'd say the technician was at fault and perhaps they are in the wrong profession.

Unlike most dogs Lola loves going to the vet. When the vet or vet tech gives her a shot I am the one that turns away and winces, Lola just sits their like nothing happened without even making the slightest yelp.
Actually, Sarama loves the vet too . . . it differs from animal to animal. Yes, the putting her face up was a real winner wasn't it? I think its beside the point, however . . .

ACooper

Sounds like bull to me. The tech made mistakes, something bad happened, I don't think the dog should be declared vicious for it. I noticed too that it said Layfayette's law exempts Vet offices from the biting laws..........so I really don't understand why this family even NEEDED a lawyer, it shouldn't even be a case!

This statement from that blog owner bothered me though:

Little dogs bite. Unlike big dogs, they can not physically resist something that makes them feel uncomfortable.
I understand they are smaller and face more hazards throughout the day than a bigger dog, but to excuse biting in general because they "can not physically resist" uncomfortable things..........nope, don't buy it. I think that's a load, and just excuse making for certain ill mannered little dogs. Things make big dogs uncomfortable as well, I expect MINE to choose better than biting. Just because a smaller dog doesn't create as much damage as a bigger one is no reason to let bad behavior go and make excuses for them. Period.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Sounds like bull to me. The tech made mistakes, something bad happened, I don't think the dog should be declared vicious for it. I noticed too that it said Layfayette's law exempts Vet offices from the biting laws..........so I really don't understand why this family even NEEDED a lawyer, it shouldn't even be a case!

This statement from that blog owner bothered me though:

I understand they are smaller and face more hazards throughout the day than a bigger dog, but to excuse biting in general because they "can not physically resist" uncomfortable things..........nope, don't buy it. I think that's a load, and just excuse making for certain ill mannered little dogs. Things make big dogs uncomfortable as well, I expect MINE to choose better than biting. Just because a smaller dog doesn't create as much damage as a bigger one is no reason to let bad behavior go and make excuses for them. Period.
I didn't read it as an excuse. In my experience, little dogs do bite more than larger dogs, and not only because they are more likely to be poorly behaved. I've seen enough little dogs cornered, manhandled, and stepped on that then snap to think that they are biting for that reason: because they are tiny and have no other defense. That doesn't mean that all little dogs that bite do so because they are just defending themselves . . . many are wretches. But something that might not frighten a larger dog can be very scary to an animal that weighs six pounds and comes up to your ankle.

MPP

petperson
What was the vet tech doing with her face close to an obviously stressed animal? Big or small is beside the point.

ACooper

I didn't read it as an excuse. In my experience, little dogs do bite more than larger dogs, and not only because they are more likely to be poorly behaved. I've seen enough little dogs cornered, manhandled, and stepped on that then snap to think that they are biting for that reason: because they are tiny and have no other defense. That doesn't mean that all little dogs that bite do so because they are just defending themselves . . . many are wretches. But something that might not frighten a larger dog can be very scary to an animal that weighs six pounds and comes up to your ankle.
No argument there. I agree that little dogs tend to bite way more often than bigger dogs..........they DO face more hazards as well. But to say "can not physically resist biting in uncomfortable situations" Is an excuse IMO. Why can't they "physically resist" ?? If they are trained and EXPECTED to "physically resist biting" when scared or uncomfortable, they normally DO resist unless it's an extreme circumstance, and my dogs would most likely bite in extreme cases as well.......it isn't a size thing.

Am I being a Size-ist? LOL, I don't mean to be........it's just that statement hit me wrong and I don't understand how that claim can be made.

Also, just so we are clear............this has NOTHING to do with Spork being declared vicious. That was silly and the mistake lies with the tech who put her face to the dog while the dog was stressed and BEING HELD by the owner.

This is crazy! I feel sorry for the dog and it's owners... however the vet tech that got bit may not have actually reported it. I'm not sure what the laws are in that area.... but if the Tech went to the doctor to get the bite checked, in some places, by law, the doctor has to report dog bites.

But a few years back when I worked at one of the vet clinics, one of the people who I worked with was giving a very upset Silky terrier a bath. I told her to muzzle the dog several times, and she refused... well the dog bit her on the hand... not a shocker. She went to the doctor, well urgent care, and the dog ended up having to stay with us in Quarantine for 10 days (even though the dog was current on rabies) because it was reported by the doctor at urgent care. Other than that, nothing happened to the dog.. it actually came back multiple times for grooming and boarding, but this person refused to handle the dog anymore after that. As long as you weren't "messing" with the dog, she was actually very sweet.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
I'm pretty sure CO is one of those "mandatory dog bite report" states. We had this discussion at our SchH club, where my trainer was telling me a story about a bite that missed the sleeve.
The story goes something like someone was bitten by accident at training. They required medical attention. When they went to the Dr. the story was they fell on a woodpile and got snagged by a nail - where the Dr asked "Well are you sure that nail had all it's rabies shots?" - end of story, lol.

Anyone stupid enough to put their face up to any strange dog - well, this goes back to the hot dog thread. You have to be smarter than that!!! Especially if the dog is already stressed, yeah I just want to stick my face right up in there...duh. No I don't think the dog should be declared vicious and I hope the family wins a nice suit over it just for their hassle.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Hey, isn't that Luce and Shroom at the top of the page?

The author addressed the "physically resist" point in the comments:
nother clarification: "Unlike big dogs, they can not physically resist something that makes them feel uncomfortable." What I meant there is that if a big dog is being walked into an exam room at the Vet's office and he is scared, he can sit or lie down as a means of physical resistance to the thing that he feels uncomfortable about. This is a defense mechanism. A little dog can not do this.
And I tend to agree. People will ignore and ignore and ignore a little dog's warnings because "ohh, little Snookiewookies thinks he's a BIG dog, yes he does! Oh yes he does! Aren't you a big dog little snuggleswuggums, yes you are! OMG MY DOG JUST FSCKING BIT ME!" :rolleyes: Obviously this is a rather gross generalization but you'd be amazed at how many times I've heard that exact exchange.

Layfayette is just up the road from me and one of the cities I've been eyeing for when I'm ready to get my own place. This sort of makes me rethink that. Not because Sawyer has ever bitten at the vet, nor do I think he would, but because if they're going to flip out on a little doxie, wtf are they going to do if I started bringing a Fila in?

ACooper

And I tend to agree. People will ignore and ignore and ignore a little dog's warnings because "ohh, little Snookiewookies thinks he's a BIG dog, yes he does! Oh yes he does! Aren't you a big dog little snuggleswuggums, yes you are! OMG MY DOG JUST FSCKING BIT ME!" :rolleyes: Obviously this is a rather gross generalization but you'd be amazed at how many times I've heard that exact exchange.
That makes a bit more sense of what they were trying to say. I went back and scanned and scanned the article looking for what you posted..........there was only ONE comment there this morning when I originally read it, LOL I'm glad they came back and clarified that a bit more, and also glad they mentioned how bad behavior in little dogs gets overlooked quite often.

Layfayette is just up the road from me and one of the cities I've been eyeing for when I'm ready to get my own place. This sort of makes me rethink that. Not because Sawyer has ever bitten at the vet, nor do I think he would, but because if they're going to flip out on a little doxie, wtf are they going to do if I started bringing a Fila in?
It does say this though zoom:
State law in CO exempts veterinary workers from filing charges regarding dog bites.
Obviously that doesn't matter in this case somehow, LOL

Laurelin

I'm All Ears

I agree. There are sooo many things that happen to little dogs ALL the time. You'd be surprised if you only had big dogs. Even the difference between what people tried with my shelties versus my papillons is amazing and you can guarantee they didn't act the same way with my GSD. I've had people poke, prod, chase, corner, pick up (while still on a leash even!), grab at them, run at them barking and stomping their feet (wtf?), I could go on and on. Luckily my two have never bitten and I try my hardest to avoid these situations but they have yelped out before when people do something like that and startle them. I think if it was physically possible for a giant to exist and manhandle big dogs in the same way a lot of them would bite too. Heck I'd probably bite them.

Even dogs giving off CLEAR warnings often aren't respected and that's why a lot of these bites happen. Think about how much bigger people are to them. A giant stranger coming and looming over you and poking and prodding you is not going to be a happy experience for a lot of small dogs.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
I'm pretty sure CO is one of those "mandatory dog bite report" states. We had this discussion at our SchH club, where my trainer was telling me a story about a bite that missed the sleeve.
The story goes something like someone was bitten by accident at training. They required medical attention. When they went to the Dr. the story was they fell on a woodpile and got snagged by a nail - where the Dr asked "Well are you sure that nail had all it's rabies shots?" - end of story, lol.
:lol-sign:

I was told that if something like that happened that you should tell the doctor it was barbed wire.

elegy

overdogged
yes, that's luce, shroom, and my pasty white legs ;)

i suspect that the tech required medical attention and then it became a mandatory dog bite report that ballooned from there.

people get bitten working in vet med. it happens. my boss was in the hospital for three days last year when she was bitten by an unconscious, dying dog. i've been bitten, though never severely. *shrug*

i'm confused as to why this is an issue though. it was a provoked bite by definition having happened in the veterinary hospital. provoked bites don't fall under the requirements for vicious dogs. maybe it's different there.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
The thing that gets me here is not whether or not the vet tech deserved it, not whether or not small dogs are more likely to bite (or why), its the provocation thing. Its the declaring a dog vicious that bit in (basically) self-defense, or at least, when provoked and frightened. This indicates a terrifying lack of understanding regarding animals on the part of the city. Basically, if a small dog biting in the vet clinic makes that dog vicious, then any bite, under any circumstances, must be "vicious" by their understanding. That is spectacularly unfair to dogs and owners.

elegy

overdogged
That's crazy. I'm not sure if in my state a vet could press charges for being bitten. I think its considered an occupational hazard or something.
but the vet/tech/hospital is not the one bringing suit.

and the state law does exempt dog bites in a veterinary setting, but the city of lafayette seems to think that state laws don't apply to them.

Pops2

but the vet/tech/hospital is not the one bringing suit.

and the state law does exempt dog bites in a veterinary setting, but the city of lafayette seems to think that state laws don't apply to them.
can you say LAWSUIT, yes, yes you can ;)

Members online

No members online now.