What do you guys think of these dog foods?

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
As some of you know I will be getting a new puppy at the end of the month and I have to make a decision on what dog food to feed her. This dog food Orjin has been reccommended to me:
http://http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/about/freshRegionalIngredients.aspx
as well as Sportsman Pride dog food, which my mom feeds her dogs
http://http://www.sportsmanspride.com/home.html

It would be awesome if you guys could tell me what you think about both dog foods and what dog food you guys feed your dogs or what you recommend.

Thanks guys,
Hayley

Paige

Let it be
I know many people rant and rave about Orijen. It gives both my dogs runny stools and when I fed it to them they couldn't hold in their poopies and went all over the house. Just my experience with the food. However the ingredients from what I know make it a high quality food.

AgilityKrazii

Addicted to Agility
I have never tried either of these foods since they are not offered in my area.
Orjin looks like a good quality food and I have heard of many people who feed it to their dogs and have great results.
I wasnt able to see actual ingredents of Sportsmans Pride so I cant say anything about them.

I feed my dog Innova EVO which is grain free and I LOVE it, his energy has increased while being on it, he has very heathly skin and coat plus I love the ingredents, I also swich between brands and the other I feed is Canidae also grain free.

Toller_08

Orijen is a good food ingredients wise, but my dogs didn't do well on it over a long period of time. I now feed Acana Grain Free (Prairie Harvest for the Tollers, Pacifica for Keira) with fantastic results. It's made by the same company, but the protein percentage is lower and it's not as rich as Orijen. I love the results I've gotten with Acana and don't suspect I'll be switching kibble anytime soon. :)

I've never heard of the other food you've mentioned, and for some reason when I try and open their homepage my internet is saying it's not available.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I was just thinking of trying Acana next time I get dog food... I'm going to, after your review, Devon. :)

Orijen is a good food, but like others have said, not my favorite. As far as coat/skin/poops/obvious stuff I prefer Taste of the Wild.

BostonBanker

After not doing stellar on EVO, Taste of the Wild (I wound up giving away over a bag and a half that I had bought because I had to get her off it), and Nature's Variety, Meg does fantastically on the Orijen. I now just rotate her between the two formulas (fish and poultry) and supplement with raw for varied protein. Her weight stays steadier than it did on the EVO, her coat and energy are fantastic, and she has none of the digestive upset that TOTW gave her.

I don't know anything about the other food you mentioned, but I would certainly vote for giving Orijen a try. Like every other food, it could be the best food in the world and just not work for your dog (I certainly can't complain about the quality of EVO or TOTW), but it is a great quality food.

Toller_08

I was just thinking of trying Acana next time I get dog food... I'm going to, after your review, Devon. :)
I hope it works for your boys as well as it has my three! I had to take the Tollers off raw for the time being (getting too expensive, and not enough freezer space to buy in bulk), and I haven't really noticed any differences for better or worse with them on the Acana than when they were on raw. Stools are a bit bigger, as with all kibble, but that's all I've noticed to be different... which is pretty good, I think. :)

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Yeah... I haven't had time to stock up on bulk... and Gonzo tends to get sick when it starts getting hot. And, well, half-digested raw meat vomit is not any fun to clean up. :cry: So I've been feeding them kibble for the past few weeks. TOTW is fine, but a new feed store is opening up, and they're selling Acana for 1/2 off which is DOPE!

I might just try the Grasslands formula. I don't have great luck with Lamb, but it's half off, so I'm takin' it to the edge!

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
When my dogs were fed kibble we fed Orijen... and they did great on it. They're on a raw diet now.

We tried SO many different types of kibble before sticking with Orijen. Acana grainfree didn't work out for my chis... dull coats, shedding, large poops, etc. It all comes down to what the individual dog does best on.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Kenyas on a raw diet :) She eats chicken, buffalo, beef, rabbit, and some others depending whats on sale

when someone is babysitting her, or we didnt pick up her raw food. Shes on Proplan sensitive skin&stomach, she has allergies and its the ONLY food other than raw that doesn't send her into an itching, nasty pooping, craze. she does very well on it

Members online

No members online now.