Getting Your Dog's Attention

Alimel

I Live in My Dog's House
How do I get Lola's attention when we are at the dog park? She totally ignored me as if she suddenly forgot her name. :rolleyes: I need help with this as once her mind is on something, she does not listen. I had to chase her down and leash her and even then she parked her butt down on the ground and would not budge. She was like a kid getting forced to leave the toy store :D

R

RedyreRottweilers

Step 1: stay away from the dog park for now

Step 2: DO NOT have your dog off leash except in a fenced area where you can go get her.

Step 3: Keep IRRESISTIBLE treats to reward her each time she comes to you, or makes eye contact

Keep in mind, that dogs learn from what works for them. You can effectively teach your dog to ignore you if you call or give commands that you cannot enforce or mold the dog into obeying.

Your dog is not ready for ANY off leash work, and she is telling you that if you will only listen. :D

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
How do I get Lola's attention when we are at the dog park? She totally ignored me as if she suddenly forgot her name. :rolleyes: I need help with this as once her mind is on something, she does not listen.
How old is she? How much training has she had? What was going on at the dog park when you called her?

sprintime

If you do go back to the park I would tie a long line to her collar. Something light like a venetian cord so she doesn't know it's on. Let her go and when she wanders off call her to you and reel her in the minute she ignores you...don't forget the delicious treat when you get her all the way in. No way would I let her loose before the recall was totally ingrained in her..practice practice practice...every day in an enclosed area.

Alimel

I Live in My Dog's House
Yep, you all are right, I should not have her in the dog park yet. She clearly needs more one on one training.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
Alimel, my advice would be to work lots on it at home, like everyone has says. And when it's good at home, take her somewhere else, fenced in, with only you and her, and work on it there, then another place, and another, so that she gets used to doing it in new places, but it's always in a confined area...

Good luck! All the work with Lola will pay off, promise!

Members online

No members online now.