Can't get rid of worms!!!

WS6Dobbie

We've been off and on Drontal for my Dobbie's worms(tape, round, hook) :mad: , and he still can't shake them, fortunatly we got him immunized before he picked up heart worms or I'm sure he'd get those too. I'm thinking about ordering a supply of Drontal from petmeds.com and just setting him up on a weekly regiment of dewormer. Will this kick them out of his system? or will it be harmful to him? How is he getting them? Everytime I take him to the vet and he test positive, I feel like the parent @ PTA who's kids keep getting lice. I mean I try and keep his pen clean, he's inside with us for 2-3 hours a night, he refuses to sleep in a cage, I'm kind of at my witts end.

Saje

Island dweller
Maverick had tapeworms once and he needed a special pill to get rid of it. Just one pill in his food and it was gone. I don't remember the name.

Personally I wouldn't like to have that much drugs in my dogs.

Mordy or food and nutrition expert really believes that food plays an important roll in how easily dogs can fight off worms on their own so you might want to look into what you are feeding them.

I'm going to look for the website that she referenced...

WS6Dobbie

I don't like over medicating my pets either, but I know it has to be painful, having diarhea from having worms. I'm just really worried. Heartworm isobviously a concern but I keep him routinely vaccinated for this, so it's a behind the curtain concern, right now I just want him to feel better. Alot will also change in 3 weeks when we move and he can run as much as he wants.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
for intestinal worms:

food grade diatomaceous earth, in the food daily for 30 days or unlimited. 1 teaspoon for dogs under 55 lbs, 1 tablespoon for dogs over 55 lbs.

feed a couple tablespoons of finely ground raw carrots and fresh parsley daily, that helps too.

as for heartworm, i'm only aware of one "vaccine" for it, which is pro heart 6 and it's something you best stay away from, its adverse reactions have killed many dogs and it has currently been taken off the market for that reason.

showpug

A dog will continue to get tapeworms as long and they have fleas. Dogs get tapes from ingesting flea eggs and as long as fleas are present on your dog, that completes the cycle and your dog gets tapeworms. As far as the round and hookworms, they will continuously be infected with those as long as they are in the environment (i.e. soil, feces on the ground etc.) I like to use Safeguard dewormer every six months. It is now over-the-counter and I am familiar with it from my days at the vet clinic. I will say however, that it only kills one type of tapeworm, NOT the type they get from fleas, so you may need an alternative for tapes. :)

I got a nice bonus when Innova came out with their EVO formula and I put my dogs on it from the regular formula. Shiva had a tapeworm problem that I'd been debating how to handle as I really try to avoid those nuclear-powered remedies. After eating the EVO she threw it off on her own - no drugs needed. :D

Members online

No members online now.