An offended diva

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
As I posted earlier, Zeus spend the past weekend with my parents while we were on vacation. He was an angel, but my mom's maltese, Scandal, threw a hissy fit of epic proportions. How DARE my mom let another dog into HER house?

She was fine at first (she's fine on short visits with Zeus). Then she realized that Zeus wasn't going home. So she marked the floor around his crate and other sleeping areas. Scandal spent the weekend sulking and generally snubbing my parents, and trying to steal Zeus' toys just to prove she could. :rolleyes: LoL, she couldn't even pick them up, they're way too big for her.

Scandal is a retired show dog, and was the alpha dog at the breeder's kennel. She's used to the spotlight. She got very upset when Zeus just ignored her almighty presence. She's so tiny that I don't think Zeus recognized her dominance displays for what they were. He just wasn't impressed. I think that was what really got Her Majesty mad.

Is there anything we can do to help make this better? Mom and I were planning on dogsitting each other's dogs whenever we go on vacation or such, but Scandal is not cooperating. The sulkiness we can deal with, but not the marking and other jealous displays.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Perhaps a bit of NILIF would get Scandal back on the right track? Even divas throwing hissy fits need to eat, and making her work for her dinner might be enough of a hint that she's not the one in charge. If she marks Zeus' bed or crate, I would remove her from the area that they are in. Perhaps use a baby gate and keep her confined to one area of the house while she stays with you. (Zeus most likely could just step over it, LOL)
As for her stealing Zeus' toys, it sounds like an effort in futility. Much like Ripley trying to fit his mouth around Dakota's jolly ball. Rip does the same thing when he gets pissed, but a firm "leave it" enforces the rule that he's to leave Dakota's toys alone.

Members online

No members online now.