Anyone had Canon AND Nikon?

SarahHound

Just wondering if anyone has had/used both, and which did you prefer? Which was more user friendly?

I'm considering getting a new camera this year, my current one is 2 years old, and I've lost interest in it :rofl1: I'd quite like to sell it, and put some money towards a new model. I've never really bonded with my Nikon D5000, like I did with my D40.

Considering switching to Canon, but just wanting a bit of advice first. I have no camera shops anywhere near me so going to look isn't an option.

I've only played a little with my brother's Cannon, so I don't think I'll be helpful. However, being a Nikon owner, I will say if you do want to switch to Cannon, read the instruction book and you should be good to go, I can't remember the model DSLR my Brother has, but I didn't find it that hard to transition using (he wanted some pictures of himself with his roommate, other wise his roommate would have taken the photo's). I have a Nikon D80.

SarahHound

Thanks! I'm just so unsure. It's such a lot of money, but I have such an itching for something new :p I don't even know anyone with one to have a play with.

katielou

Slave to the Aussie
Me i just got a Nikon D7000 and also have a canon rebel.

I like the Nikon controls better, I like the Nikon customer service better.

If you have any specific questions i may be able to help.

Thanks! I'm just so unsure. It's such a lot of money, but I have such an itching for something new :p I don't even know anyone with one to have a play with.
It is a lot of money, and as itchy as you are please take your time! If you can, scope out a store in your area that you can actually pick up and look at, and even try out in the store, the camera you're interested in! This is what I did. But in the end I stuck with Nikon, hands down, because I already had the lenses, and to me that was money saved, not having to buy new lenses on top of being able to get just the unit without a lens cheaper than with one.

The one thing though that I wasn't sure about, and was at the store to look at, I brought with me my Telephoto lens to make sure it fit on and worked with the camera I wanted based on internet reviews. At the time, people stated that the D80 was the best you could get "pre-pro", I'm still on the edge, but someday I would like to maybe go pro in photography and this was the best they said before you get into the real pro-camera (although, still not a cheap camera).

Sad to think, my camera is now well outdated by today's standards, you can get (last I looked, the number may now be higher!) a 12MP for the same price as mine was at the time! AND, they include an HD movie capture feature... mine only takes still photo's.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I have an old Canon Rebel, a Nikon D60, and a Nikon D90. I like the Nikon feel and controls better personally. I haven't gotten to mess too much with the newer Rebels though.

el_pic

Technocat
If you were on a photo fourm and asked that question ... you would get about 1/3 Nikon 1/3 Canon and 1/3 Other.
So ... its what you feel better with and your lens collection that matters.
FYIW - Nikon cameras lenes are a bit more $$ than Canon and JPEC color is a bit warmer.
Now that Nikon has FF DSLR there is as much delta as a Ford and Chevy.
Its what you do with it that counts and not what it is ..

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I've played around a little bit with Canons but I'm still hooked on my Nikon. I've currently got a D80, started off with a D50 and looking at getting either a D7000 or a D700 for my next upgrade.

I would probably sell part of my liver to be able to afford a D3 or the new D4. :p

SarahHound

I'm thinking I'll wait a bit...I'm considering taking a trip to Ireland in April, and instead of a camera, I could have a really good trip. So I'm going to keep looking, maybe have a feel around, but nothing definite until the Summer maybe.

Michiyo-Fir

I work in a photography store, and I give camera lessons there as well so I have used both.

I use Nikons at home so I'm more used to the Nikon layout and I find it a little more user friendly.

I find it harder to switch over from Nikon to Canon cameras because the buttons are all in different locations! Especially with the lower end models like T1i/T2i/T3is, I don't like where some of the buttons are located like ISO (at the top of the camera). I find you have to hit a button like WB or ISO and then scroll the dial at the top. Whereas on the Nikons, you just hold that button while turning the dial. I also like the dial location of the Nikons better as well as prefer the dual dials on the higher end models for Nikons.

However, one thing that I love about Canons are the screen. I always find the Nikon screens too bright and the picture actually turns out a lot darker, whereas with the Canons, I don't have that problem.

I don't think either is hard to use. I've done day's worth of shooting with both the Canon 7D, 60D and T3i (this one being the camera we use for passport photos) and I've given hundreds of lessons on each, I don't think either one is difficult.

I've used most of the Nikons a lot, and I do prefer their controls a little better. Especially for manual shooting, I just find the buttons to be in more convenient locations.

However, one thing that I love about Canons are the screen. I always find the Nikon screens too bright and the picture actually turns out a lot darker, whereas with the Canons, I don't have that problem.
Funny, this is something I've found to be a real annoyance with both my Nikon's (D80 and S550), the screen makes every picture look perfect, but once I try to view them on my computer they are REALLY dark! For printing I find it anywhere from, in between (with my older computer than had a darker screen, photo's would print a bit brighter/clearer, but not as much as the camera's screen), or near the computer screen view (the computer monitor I use with this computer, flat screen, is very near as things print).

Zoom

Twin 2.0
^^I've had the same issue. I've finally started remembering to keep that in mind though, so I can adjust my settings accordingly. If the pic is too bright on the screen, it's probably perfect.

Michiyo-Fir

^^I've had the same issue. I've finally started remembering to keep that in mind though, so I can adjust my settings accordingly. If the pic is too bright on the screen, it's probably perfect.
I do that as well. But I find it very irritating. It's not even in the brightness of the screen, but the way they design it I think. I can turn (and do) the brightness setting of the LCD to the lowest level, but the photos still come out a bit underexposed if I see it on the screen perfectly.

Honestly, when someone is buying a camera for 1000+ and especially for even some of the semi to completely professional models (D700 upwards), they could do something about the screen. Even Canon's T3 or Xs doesn't have that problem as far as I remember..

I've gotten used to it and I just adjust automatically now but I don't think it should be this way.

Michiyo-Fir

Interesting I have not had this issue on my D7000.
I think it also depends on your screen on your computer. But as far as I've tired, with all my computers (which are all Macs), the D60 (not as bad), the D90, D7000 all have this problem, these are the cameras I've owned and used extensively. I've been shooting the D90 and D7000 for the last 2+ years and they have the exact same screen, thus same problem. As well as all the Nikons I've used at work (so anything up to D700). I don't know, I've also heard a lot of customers complain about it as well but after a while you just get used to it. To me, it's pretty noticeable. I don't know why.

So is it just a computer screen thing or is it evident in the printed photo?
For me, yes. I've printed photo's on regular paper, special paper (for making cards), photo paper, and I've had some printed at Walmart, and they all seem to be a bit darker than what you see on the screen. I do love the clarity of the screens, but yeah I've also tried to turn down the brightness and it didn't seem to help.

I think it also depends on your screen on your computer. But as far as I've tired, with all my computers (which are all Macs), the D60 (not as bad), the D90, D7000 all have this problem, these are the cameras I've owned and used extensively. I've been shooting the D90 and D7000 for the last 2+ years and they have the exact same screen, thus same problem. As well as all the Nikons I've used at work (so anything up to D700). I don't know, I've also heard a lot of customers complain about it as well but after a while you just get used to it. To me, it's pretty noticeable. I don't know why.
I guess my only questions on this would be how do the histograms of your photos look? And does the lcd or your monitors look dark in relation to what the histogram is telling you?

Michiyo-Fir

I guess my only questions on this would be how do the histograms of your photos look? And does the lcd or your monitors look dark in relation to what the histogram is telling you?
my LCD monitor, in my opinion reflects the histogram well. However, the LCD screen of the camera...compared to the histogram does look too bright.

My photos do come out darker as prints too. Our photography shop does photofinishing as well, everything is printed with a Noritsu D703 dry lab.

However, the thing is, I almost never ever make prints just from the photos out of my camera. Not never, but I guess very rare, so I've already color corrected it, then it prints out fine. I haven't tried just taking my card and printing from there in a loooong time. Now I want to go test it out...

Edit: I'm just comparing between my computer and camera now, it's not very noticeable in photos where it's very sunny. It becomes more prominent when it's a bit too dark inside. On the camera it seems to be exposed right, but on the computer it's just a tad underexposed. I think it has something to do with the contrast settings on the camera LCD and the computer LCD. On my computer, it looks like the photos have less contrast. Since currently I don't have my laptop LCD calibrated either, the color is a little "off" too. That might be the problem. But when I'm shooting now, the difference is not too noticeable, maybe because I've gotten used to it? I'm not sure. I very very rarely will end up with an underexposed photo now because of the screen differences...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.