Diamond Dog Foods

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
Honestly with the scare a couple years ago I was bit nervous buying Diamond again. But because the Farmers Exchange doesent carry Innova anymore and Taste of the Wild is too rich for Maggie and Sawyer I decided to try it.

I feed Sawyer "Diamond Naturals ,Large Breed Puppy Lamb And Rice". Which he seems to love and is the only food that has ever really agreed with his stomach.

Maggie May and Tucker both eat "Premium Edge, Adult Skin And Coat Salmon, potato, and vegetable Forumula". Which has done wonders on both their coats. Maggies skin has been so messed up for years and since I have switched her over to this her coat is shinier, softer, and she hasent had any bouts of hot spots.

Like I said sometimes I wonder if it makes me a bad pet owner to feed my dogs Diamond products. But I figure they do so many health checks now im sure they won't let their pet food get like it was.

Anyways does anyone else feed their dogs Diamond pet food?

Toller_08

Winston eats Kirkland Lamb & Rice, which is made by Diamond. I don't feel bad feeding it at all, plus he does really well on it. :)

gale

We are about to switch to Diamond Naturals from Calif Natural and I feel the same way-like I'm some bad owner because of it. Never mind that when we had our last dog, dh bought the food and it was pretty much the junkiest ever. It just never occurred to me to research dog food (until we got a new puppy and I needed to research amounts to feed). We just can't really get the Calif Natural easily enough and it is too expensive.

I think we have at least 3 weeks of the Calif Natural left. I need to remind dh to get the Diamond Natural (or get off my butt and go get it myself) so I have it on hand when it's time to start mixing.

eta: also remember that the kibble version of the Naturals line and the Premium Edge line (and also the Chicken Soup line) were never involved in any recalls.

noodlerubyallie

Sprayin' the spiders
All three of ours eat the Naturals Adult Lamb & Rice. Their coats have filled out and gotten shinier, their stools are back to normal and they LIKE it. We were feeding it alone, but Allie has allergies and her ear flared up again, so they get both the Diamond and Natural Balance Lamb & Rice.

I felt REALLY guilty buying Diamond. Like I was a bad owner. Although it has really helped in the skin and stool department. I really like the price though, you can't beat 40 lbs for $24.

Shadow945

I've been using Taste of the Wild with my dog without any problems. You have to also take in consideration that not all foods made by a certain brand are going to be the same. For example, Canidae and Taste of the Wild are very different, but they're both made by Diamond. Food scares happen with a lot of companies, I don't think one scare is reason enough to abandon ship.

Brattina88

I've been rotating Taste of the Wild, and there currently on Nature's Variety Instinct. *shrugs*
I think its a personal decision - I didn't know that it was made by Diamond when I first fed it, and when I found out I did feel really guilty... but they did so well on it I let them finish the big bag.

Never mind that when we had our last dog, dh bought the food and it was pretty much the junkiest ever.
Diamond regular (I think its called 'premium') Is some junky stuff. The Diamond Naturals line is actually very decent. A very good food for people who's dogs do well with some grain in their diet. Before I went grain-free my dogs were fed Diamond Naturals. They all did well on it, my mom's dogs still eat Diamond. I ALWAYS reccommend it to anyone as a good (pretty cheap) dogfood.

Anyway, no one should feel bad (imo) for feeding Diamond.

Oh, and Diamond is actually not a 'bad' company, like so many think. The mishap they had a few years ago was due to some bad corn. Diamond was NOT involved in the gigantic dog food recall that happened not too long ago.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
I feed Kirkland too. My dogs look good on it, I have been very happy with it. I feel that for what I can afford, it is the best out there, so no I don't feel guilty at all. I feel like I did my research and my dogs are getting way better food than they otherwise could as a result.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'm now feeding Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice. Costco is far from me and for the extra couple of dollars for Diamond Naturals at Tractor Supply, I might as well save the gas I'd be spending.

ACooper

Oh, and Diamond is actually not a 'bad' company, like so many think. The mishap they had a few years ago was due to some bad corn. Diamond was NOT involved in the gigantic dog food recall that happened not too long ago.
I was going to point that out too outline :) It was bad corn a few years back (2005), as in corn that had Aflatoxin (a harmful fungus that grows on it)

Not only that, they did the recall as soon as they knew what was happening.........unlike MANY manufacturers involved in the last big issue who waited around and denied it, or blamed the places where it was processed instead of taking responsibilities for buying low grade crap from China.

Anyway, Diamond was NOT involved in the big China issue, and Diamond Naturals does not have corn in it.

I have recently switched to the Naturals chicken/rice since Canidae changed their ingredients and so far I don't have anything bad to say about it :)

Barb04

Super Moderator
Hubby told me that the dogs' poop is harder on the Diamond Naturals than it was on the Kirland.

Gena

I feed the chicken soup line here. They are one of the few with a formula that is higher in fiber for my diabetic dog. She is doing really well on it. My little guy has been on it since I brought him home. Again, he's doing great. I don't feel guilty feeding a food my dogs do well on and I can afford. That IMO is the defining criteria. Sometimes we get so caught up in having everything "just so" that we give ourselves unneeded guilt.

ACooper

**cough, cough

not entirely true
Please elaborate. I do not mean that in ANY negative way. If I am mistaken then I would like to know about it :)

I know they set up call centers and the whole shebang. They were quick to help families with Vet costs associated with the problem, and tried to do what they could for the mistake.

If you have information pointing otherwise, I really, really want to know about it because it does make a difference IMO. A "mistake" can happen to anyone or any company............but how it's handled/dealt with is what I look for ;)

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
At the time of the aflatoxin recall, I was feeding chicken soup. My dog become very sick. We went to the vet and she told me to get him off that food. She had seen several dogs get sick on chicken soup. I then found many more people who also were feeding chicken soup and who also had sick dogs.

I and many others contacted Diamond. Diamond's answer was that chicken soup was safe because it didn't have corn in it. Meanwhile a quick search on the web informed me that while aflatoxins prefer corn, they will bind to rice.

Shadow945

Diamond regular (I think its called 'premium') Is some junky stuff. The Diamond Naturals line is actually very decent. A very good food for people who's dogs do well with some grain in their diet. Before I went grain-free my dogs were fed Diamond Naturals. They all did well on it, my mom's dogs still eat Diamond. I ALWAYS reccommend it to anyone as a good (pretty cheap) dogfood.

Anyway, no one should feel bad (imo) for feeding Diamond.
Along with Diamond Naturals, some other Diamond products such as Taste of the Wild and their treats are also good. I haven't had any problems with my dog with feeding Taste of the Wild.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
not trying to argue, but maybe they were actually unaware that the rice was bad too at that point?
Either unaware or completely dishonest. I prefer to think they were unaware. Unaware and disinterested. Unaware is bad enough. But to do nothing after being informed of a possible issue really bothers me.

As much as I dislike Science Diet, I did have to give kudos to Hill's for pulling their food (during the menu foods recall) even though their food didn't appear to be a risk - simply because it was made at the same plant.

Members online

No members online now.