Clipper recommendations

JetBlack

Hey guys,

I have a 3 year old Pomeranian that needs to be trimmed every 1.5 months due to allergies and the price of grooming is adding up.

I've purchased a few odd razors to try and trim him but his fur is so thick that they all jam and do nothing.

I'm now looking for a professional grade razor, but not knowing anything about the razor business I'd very much appreciate some recommendations or information.

Basically he has a double coat of "wool" and its so dense no cheap razor can even cut it....yet groomers dont seem to have any problems.

Athe

Personally I don't groom, my Sister owns a grooming facility and I can certainly ask her. She has a few Newfoundland dogs due to allergies which are shaved plus Chows, Pom's, Husky's. The one thing she always makes sure of, that she is working on a clean coat. She bathes the dog, brushes out all the mats while the dog is soapy, then blows the dog completely dry with the h/v dryer, we're talking 110% dry and gets all the dead coat out. To shave a dog without doing this process first is very difficult, plus hard on your clippers.

Saje

Island dweller
Get Oster! They are the brand used for horses, sheep, dogs.... I have some for my horses and I just clipped Maverick last night. He's so sad looking but at least he's cool and hopefully it'll start growing back pretty soon. You should look at horse/tack stores for them. They always have them.

Here's a link so you can get an idea what they are like. http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store...4&ps_session=cc413d6496a2b84ee4db861f2985b8af

and buy some Kool Lube! You have no idea how much it helps!

I found that my Osters did a number on my hands the Andis AGC2 is a little faster and less weight in my hands.

Ash47

Taco Dog
Andis and Oster are very good choices should you chose either. I have always used Andis myself. But at work, all we use is Oster. They have more power but Andis seems to run through the coat easier in my experiences.

Saje

Island dweller
Do you use Kool Lube at work Pro47? I found when I used Oster to bodyclip horses I'd have to use Kool Lube and often. It made a HUGE difference. I don't know if that's the brand or not.

Ash47

Taco Dog
Yes, the Osters heat up very quickly. But my Andis' take awhile before they get too hot. The Kool Lube works, but only temporarily. How long would it take before yours would heat up??

Saje

Island dweller
hmmmm... that's a good question. 10 minutes maybe? If I don't have Kool Lube I just let them sit for awhile much to Maverick's relief! :D

You can ask groomers about wat kind of razors they use..
or most times, I cut my own dog's hair.
and sometimes, I cut their hair with scissors =)
But to do it w/ scissors, you need lots of skills.
there's a way to cut with scissors and ur dog can still look beautiful :]

But if you dont want to risk it, I recommend oster

maui

Hello! Been awhile since I've been to the forums...

Our guy has a hot spot problem. I want to shave him, or clip rather. Went to pet edge and picked up a professional clipper, on the way.

Okay, here's the thing: I know nothing, and I mean nothing, about doing this. I gave him a nice punk rock cut with some sizzors, lol. So, help!

What is Kool Lube? Does it go on the hair first? Any advice = welcome.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Heh, Maui, Kool Lube is for the clippers, not the dog's hair! It's exactly as the name suggests, a cooling lubricant for the clippers.

Members online