A question about eggs...

noludoru

Bored Now.
So, I found organic cage-free grain-fed eggs at Dillon's for 25 cents a dozen. At that price, I'll give them a try! I got four dozen...if I don't like them, I'm sure others in the house will eat them.
SERIOUSLY????

I am looking at the prices you post for food and am just amazed.

I can't get a dozen of regular eggs for $2.00 here.

I need to live somewhere else. Anywhere else.

Saeleofu

My area is pretty cheap for food, but I also get awesome deals fairly often. It's not uncommon to find yogurt on sale for 10 cents (actually picked up a ton of yogurt for a penny a piece one time!), kale for 10 cents, milk for $1, stuffed portabellos for 25 cents, etc - it's one of the perks to shopping late at night ;) Aldi is also an amazing place, especially for produce (so long as it's "common" produce). 5 pounds of oranges for $1.48, avocados for 39 cents, grapes for 49 cents a pound fairly often, 3 pounds of apples for 99 cents - apparently Aldi has their own farms, so they get produce direct instead of having to get it from a 3rd party. They also have milk for $1.99 a gallon right now which is AMAZING. Eggs, regular price, are around $1.29 at Aldi.

noludoru

Bored Now.
My area is pretty cheap for food, but I also get awesome deals fairly often. It's not uncommon to find yogurt on sale for 10 cents (actually picked up a ton of yogurt for a penny a piece one time!), kale for 10 cents, milk for $1, stuffed portabellos for 25 cents, etc - it's one of the perks to shopping late at night ;) Aldi is also an amazing place, especially for produce (so long as it's "common" produce). 5 pounds of oranges for $1.48, avocados for 39 cents, grapes for 49 cents a pound fairly often, 3 pounds of apples for 99 cents - apparently Aldi has their own farms, so they get produce direct instead of having to get it from a 3rd party. They also have milk for $1.99 a gallon right now which is AMAZING. Eggs, regular price, are around $1.29 at Aldi.
I want to be you right now. Oh, the food I would eat.

That's so awesome. Milk is $3+ a gallon, avocados $1 a piece (or more!), and I've seen specialty lettuces for $5+.

Aldi sounds awesome. There aren't any in the DC area, I think. I can see where having your own farms would drastically lower the prices.

Saeleofu

avocados $1 a piece (or more!),
At Dillons, avocados range from $1 to $2.49 a piece and I think that's ridiculous. Especially since I got one the other day because it was late and Aldi was closed, and the ****er was rotten inside.

Saeleofu

Well, the downside is because food and housing is cheap (my last apartment was $300/month), pay is lower, too :p

xpaeanx

Well, the downside is because food and housing is cheap (my last apartment was $300/month), pay is lower, too :p
I've noticed that pay being lower isn't directly proportional. A lot of times when people move from Long Island their pay decreases... But with such a drastic change in living expenses their monthly left over increases and they are able to save more.

And I am very jealous of your food prices! LOL. Food is so much more expensive here!

ACooper

Wow.....if I found a dozen eggs.........ANY KIND OF EGGS.....for .25 I would be scared to eat them! LOL

Miakoda

Call a few vet clinics. I can name at least 1 person at every vet clinic I'm familiar with that raises chickens and sells eggs. Down here they sell anywhere from $2-3 per dozen

Gypsydals

SERIOUSLY????

I am looking at the prices you post for food and am just amazed.

I can't get a dozen of regular eggs for $2.00 here.

I need to live somewhere else. Anywhere else.
^THIS. Here that is for the Med sized eggs not the large or Jumbo.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I love chickens :) they make great pets & I see their eggs as gifts for the care you give them :). There is a processing plant down the street (they slaughter them there) that I could have worked at & pays pretty well ... But I just couldn't work somewhere where they ... Kill them :(

Miakoda

I was just 7 when I killed my first chicken. I then had to clean it in order for my great aunt to use it for chicken and dumplings.

Honestly, I think people who raise their own animals for food tend to place a higher value on them, therefore they treat them with respect.

*Notice I did t say "all" before someone jumps on me about it.

There's something about raising an animal properly and then seeing it nourish your family in return that makes you honor and respect that animal even more.

Now feel free to disagree.....

milos_mommy

I agree with you, Staci, but there's a big difference between killing an animal and eating it or feeding it to your family and friends (which I have never done but honestly think I'd be more comfortable doing that than buying meat from somewhere else), and working at a processing plant and watching animals living really poor quality of life being slaughtered on a mass scale.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I was just 7 when I killed my first chicken. I then had to clean it in order for my great aunt to use it for chicken and dumplings.

Honestly, I think people who raise their own animals for food tend to place a higher value on them, therefore they treat them with respect.

*Notice I did t say "all" before someone jumps on me about it.

There's something about raising an animal properly and then seeing it nourish your family in return that makes you honor and respect that animal even more.

Now feel free to disagree.....
Yes, I can relate to that, that is much different then killing them on a mass scale, sometimes I feel we as a society have gotten way too Industralized when it comes to our food.

Saeleofu

Call a few vet clinics. I can name at least 1 person at every vet clinic I'm familiar with that raises chickens
Usually, I'm that one person :rofl1:

Our chickens are just for eggs (well, and pets lol), not for meat. Nobody in our family would be able to actually kill one of them.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I want to be you right now. Oh, the food I would eat.

That's so awesome. Milk is $3+ a gallon, avocados $1 a piece (or more!), and I've seen specialty lettuces for $5+.

Aldi sounds awesome. There aren't any in the DC area, I think. I can see where having your own farms would drastically lower the prices.
Aldi is amazing. It is the reason that I am able to eat so healthy, everything is at least a dollar cheaper than at the grocery store!

At Aldi I can get a pack of blackberries for 99 cents! I pay at LEAST $2 for the same at any other grocery here. 5 kiwi fruits for $1.99, yes please! And this isn't a rural Aldi, either.

GipsyQueen

Please tell me your Aldi looks like this:

Because if they do... why the heck are there German supermarkets in the US? :rofl1:

And yes, Aldi is awesome.

Saeleofu

Because if they do... why the heck are there German supermarkets in the US? :rofl1:

Yes indeed! Actually, the only reason we started going there was because my mom is German and she was thrilled that there was an Aldi down the street. We only had ONE Aldi in town when we first moved here, and now there are...a lot lol.

Most people around here hate Aldi for some reason. Mostly because of the shopping carts. They think it's SO AWFUL to have to pay a quarter for a shopping cart. HELLO PEOPLE! YOU GET THE ****ING QUARTER BACK WHEN YOU RETURN THE CART!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Yup, that's Aldi. They pay their workers AMAZING wages (their cashiers make more than I do and I'm an assistant manager), and let them sit down, etc etc. It is CLEARLY a european based grocery, nothing like the US ones. It's awesome. You also have to bring your own bags.

Members online

No members online now.