Heeling at the...heel.

Lyzelle

Since Zander was out of my care for over a year - and worse, in the care of my mother, I decided to start all his behavioral and obedience work over completely.

So now we are working on heel and general placement while working on stuff. Two things I've noticed, but generally the same problem. When I tell him to sit, he backs up considerably. He'll do this when he is in front of me, and when he is heeling. He'll take 2-3 steps backwards and THEN sit.

When he is working in front of me, I don't mind as much. He's a big dog and it gives plenty of room between us for him to turn around, lay down, or whatever.

And heeling, he is really good at. Looking up at me, tippy toes, on the ball with starting up and turning. But when it comes to stopping....he backs up two or three steps and then sits somewhere behind me, which isn't exactly ideal. And he's so SLOW with it.
St..ep...back.....and....another...step...back. OMG. JUST SIT. justdoit!

Oh, and if I randomly tell him to sit...he'll sit ON my feet. But while heeling? He has to be behind me. Silly dog.

Any tips? We work with food and toys, but typically with toys. Working on his excitement with cheese.

Taqroy

I'd work the sits separate for awhile and SUPER lure them. I had a similar problem with Tipper and Murphy - except they weren't exactly backing up, they'd sit and then roll all the way over on their hip so they were actually perpendicular to me. Laziest sit EVER. Lol.

Anyway, this video from Linds helped me immensely. You can see how she pulls Traveler's nose straight up in the sit - that's what I did with my dogs and it helped a TON. I think that video is mostly fronts but you can use the same movement in heel position, it just takes practice. You're probably going to have to play with it a little bit to figure out exactly how it will work with Zander but as long as you're consistent with it you should see results pretty fast. Just remember to only reward for the positions you want.

Lyzelle

Thanks! I'll try that today. We'll be working more inside since it's so rainy and nasty outside.

I might have to stalk Traveler and Linds videos. I've seen a few other ones, too, and they've been super helpful, if nothing else entertaining!

Staff online

Members online