are "shorty jacks" a breed? (short legged jack russels)

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
is it somer kind of breed trait or something? ive never heard of them but came along this..

it says..

Brightjacks Shortie Jacks​

Raising Shortie Jack Russell Terriers that are "Distinctively Different". Specializing in our most requested smaller version of the Shortie's as the Ultimate Compact Family and Travel Companion. We offer EJRTCA, UKC Registered English and Full Irish Bloodlines, in Smooth, Broken, Rough Coats. Breeding Top Quality Eye Appealing Shortie's with Awesome Personalities', always moving forward with continued improvement of heavy bone, button ears, straight legs and balanced conformation. Selectively bred for families that expect the complete package of EXCELLENCE in Health, Temperament, Eye Appeal and Conformation. We do not settle for less and neither should our families. "It takes a very special shortie......One that is Exception to the Rule......to be a Brightjack !"

are they a breed? just wondering out of curiosity, they are very cute :) and short lol

BostonBanker

Either Dekka or Adojrts (can't remember which of you it was) did a great job of explaining the different divisions of JRT/PRT/shorties etc. to me at one point. I can't remember the specifics except that the shorties are NOT "accepted" by the working JRT people. Hopefully one of them will hop on and explain it all again, because my brain needs a reminder as well.

Dekka

Just try me..
Not really. I think they are being registered in the UKC as Russell Terriers. They are typically byb skeezy non breed standard JRTs. They are useless as hunting dogs, they don't fit down the holes. Their hunting terriers looked odd to me. Most people I know who hunt with terriers use JRTs or things that look like breed standard JRTs. (the patterdales and border terriers that I have seen that hunt look like breed standard JRTs in that they are square-as tall as they are long, and small chested)

All in all why take the ultimate earthdog and make it into something else? The rescues are FULL of puddin Jacks, so are the shelters. Its a much more rare of an occurance to have a long legged JRT show up as they tend to be bred by the sorts of people who have return policies in their contracts.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I was actually thinking about starting this thread. Someone had mentioned them on another forum as a non show (though they didn't say working per say) type of JRT. I know my friend with a show PRT isn't fond of them but was wondering what the JRT people thought.

Honestly, for a long time I thought ALL JRTs had short legs because that's all you see really.

adojrts

There is the Australian Jack Russell Terrier which has its own breed standard, certainly not a standard of the working terrier, but then again, no earth work in that part of the world as far as I know.
They are starting to get the 'shortie' recognized which is now known as the Russell Terrier, and of course really not a working terrier.
I am not aware of a registry or standard for Irish JR's but I could be wrong.

The JRTCA (u.s) JRTGB (u.k) and the JRTCC (canada) have what is considered to be the orginal Parsons ..........and the Kennel Club Parsons comes from our registry orginally. But they would like everyone to believe Jack Russell Terriers are the shorties, are non registered (actually our registration process is so much harder to register a dog, dogs get registered on their own merit by meeting the breed standard with NO disqualifying faults, not just because they come from registered parents).

adojrts

Yeah no genetic testing listed any wheres nor does it state what if anything that they have done with the dogs (don't expect they have)
And for so called Hunt Terriers not mention of being proven in the working field...........so much for preserving a working breed. How can you do that if you don't Hunt (work) them.

Although they do have a lovely system of payment and shipping..........

Pops2

sidenote for adojrts
there is earthwork being done in Oz. the white terriers are preferred because they bolt the foxes & feral cats for the lurchers & longdogs. here in the states the hardcore diggers seem to like the dark terriers like pats & borders because they kill the coons & other vermin.
most (not all) of the jrt crowd i've run into do it as a casual sport not serious vermin control.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Long legged jack russells are generally know as Parsons Jack Russells here... and jack russell is anything jack russelly! Short legs included. Very common breed here indeed.....

Sweet72947

Squishy face
We have a JRT for adoption at FOHA who looks a lot like those. $250 and you can get a "shorty-jack" who is neutered, up to date on shots, and microchipped. ;) Ooh and we throw in free basic manners classes for all FOHA alumni.

adojrts

sidenote for adojrts
there is earthwork being done in Oz. the white terriers are preferred because they bolt the foxes & feral cats for the lurchers & longdogs. here in the states the hardcore diggers seem to like the dark terriers like pats & borders because they kill the coons & other vermin.
most (not all) of the jrt crowd i've run into do it as a casual sport not serious vermin control.
The hard core terrier people that I know have jrts and do vermin control. A very good friend of mine who is without a doubt a working terrierman and very well respected went to Ireland to find good working Borders, couldn't find anything over here in N.A.

Are you one of those hardcore diggers and have an earthworking terrier? I am now very curious as to how much digging you have done to any terrier, colored or white.

Last edited:

adojrts

Long legged jack russells are generally know as Parsons Jack Russells here... and jack russell is anything jack russelly! Short legs included. Very common breed here indeed.....
The JRTGB (which is the JRT registry and promotes working jrts in the U.K), doesn't recognize the shortie either in their breed standard the same as the JRTCA and the JRTCC.
The JRTGB, JRTCA and JRTCC are the long legged Parsons and were known as the Parsons/JRT until Kennel Club claimed the name.

Dekka

Just try me..
Ya the shortie Jacks would be useless at hunting. It does suck that the KC took the "Parson" moniker. The PRT is not to useful for hunting either (as it is now..)

Members online

No members online now.