How much walking is too much?

brandynq

I have a fox terrier mix that's about 5 months old now and a little over 9lbs. Since we've been able to go on walks (after he got all his shots) we've gone twice a day at 8am and 6pm. Each walk lasts at least an hour. Lately he's seems pretty tired and today at around 5:15 I noticed that he had fallen asleep. I decided to just let him nap and now it's almost 7 and he's still sleeping. Am I walking him too much? I wanted to make sure he was tired so he's not so hyper when I'm gone during the day but he just seems too tired. Should I walk him only once? Or should I cut the time in half?

Adrienne

I would say that is way to much walking for a young pup. At that age it is best to just let them set the pace for how much exercise they need, ie. playing in the yard or a quick jaunt around the block. Too much stimulation will cause a puppy to "crash" (pass out) it just becomes to much for them. How far are you walking in an hour? I walk two miles in 20 minutes so if you walk anything like I do that would be about 5 miles for the little pup.

brandynq

I don't really know how far we walk. But I'd imagine it's pretty far because we walk fast.

Adrienne

Way to much in my opinion which is based on research. Let him grow up a bit before doing power walking like that, you may injure him.

Adrienne

For a terrier I would still go with the two walks a day, just a lot shorter. Maybe 15-20 minutes and of course have play sessions often!

Yes, that does sound like a little to much for a pup, especially a small breed. Try taking him for shorter walks and then playing with him like Adrienne suggested. I know what it's like to have a terrier mix - I've got one - they're just full of energy!! :D

Because your pup is still alittle young, not that young though, keep walks brief. Since your dog's a puppy it's bones are still growing. Hope that helped!

Saje

Island dweller
I'd still keep with the two shorter walks. Or maybe one walk and one play date at the dog park or with a friend? IMO puppies should be playing more than walking. We never walked maverick so much as let him frolic on the beach. He monitored himself pretty well.

moe

I always work on the five mins to the month so if a dog is 5 months the max he should be doing is 25mins walking, at that age, just playing in the garden is ample exercise.

Mo

Members online

No members online now.