Fun time last night, NOT!

Adrienne

So around 12:30 a.m. I was letting the dogs out for their night time potty. Katya is of course hooked to a leash but Gunnar and Neva are good about staying in the yard and minding so I never hook them up. I get out on the porch to hook up Katya and Neva charges around the corner of the house. I knew immediatly that their was a skunk there. Gunnar of course followed close behind and Katya was doing her best to get out of my grip (I hadn't hooked her up yet I was just holding her collar, thank God I didn't let her go!) So of course Neva got sprayed full in the face and my goodness did it stink :mad: I couldn't even tell if Gunnar got sprayed to or not because Neva stunk so bad. So there I am at 1 in the morning washing the dogs outside. I felt so bad for Neva, she is scared to death of the hose but there was no way she was comming in until I had her cleaned off. Gunnar had to have his head cleaned off, I don't think he actually got sprayed, just stunk from being so close to Neva. I HATE SKUNKS!! Anyways I use the hydrogen peroxide/dawn dishsoap/baking soda mix and it works pretty good but I am wondering if any one has ever used a product that is specifically for skunk sprays. I have a feeling this won't be our last run in with the skunks. So far skunks 1 us 0. Last year we had three skunks in our yard which I ended up having to "put down". If you call the city they charge you $300 per skunk for removal and I just can't affor that, it would have been 900 for the three of them. Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated. I hate to "put them down" because I know they are beneficial to the environment, eating garbage and other things but they aren't beneficial to me and my dogs.

M

Manchesters

Oh NO!!

Adrienne said:
So around 12:30 a.m. I was letting the dogs out for their night time potty. Katya is of course hooked to a leash but Gunnar and Neva are good about staying in the yard and minding so I never hook them up. I get out on the porch to hook up Katya and Neva charges around the corner of the house. I knew immediatly that their was a skunk there. Gunnar of course followed close behind and Katya was doing her best to get out of my grip (I hadn't hooked her up yet I was just holding her collar, thank God I didn't let her go!) So of course Neva got sprayed full in the face and my goodness did it stink :mad: I couldn't even tell if Gunnar got sprayed to or not because Neva stunk so bad. So there I am at 1 in the morning washing the dogs outside. I felt so bad for Neva, she is scared to death of the hose but there was no way she was comming in until I had her cleaned off. Gunnar had to have his head cleaned off, I don't think he actually got sprayed, just stunk from being so close to Neva. I HATE SKUNKS!! Anyways I use the hydrogen peroxide/dawn dishsoap/baking soda mix and it works pretty good but I am wondering if any one has ever used a product that is specifically for skunk sprays. I have a feeling this won't be our last run in with the skunks. So far skunks 1 us 0. Last year we had three skunks in our yard which I ended up having to "put down". If you call the city they charge you $300 per skunk for removal and I just can't affor that, it would have been 900 for the three of them. Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated. I hate to "put them down" because I know they are beneficial to the environment, eating garbage and other things but they aren't beneficial to me and my dogs.
You have my total true sympathy. Believe it or not I have read that the tomato soup rinses really does work to get rid of the stench. Are you allowed to fence your front yard where you live? (I know some places around here you can't, and other places you can't have higher than a 4 foot fence.)

As I said a couple of hundred times in my posts about crating, it only takes one time...as in this case the darlings deciding to take off before you could even realize what was going on. I am totally paranoid anyway about taking my dogs outside a fenced area unleashed as it is. You need a plan for the future to avoid another such fun experience! Heck, maybe you could just run wire around the yard on stakes--like they do for hot wiring, but WITHOUT the electricity. It would at least slow them down a bit, lol.

Try the tomato juice. If it doesn't work, you could at least make a few Bloody Marys and drink them until the smell doesn't even bother you.

Again, I really am sorry that you had to go thru this experience!!!!!!

Y

yuckaduck

If you use tomato juice you have to let it dry on the dogs hair before rinsing it off. A good thing that I found worked really well was crest toothpaste. Again you have to let it dry completly on the dog and it is very very difficult to rinse off but it works. Expensive if your dogs are big because it will take several tubes per dog. Good luck.

I feel for you.

Adrienne

Thank's Manchester, I will give the tomatoe juice a try today see if it gets rid of the lingering smell. Sadly I can't fence in my yard because right now we rent and the way the yard is set up it is impossible to do even if we paid for it. From now on for night time potty it will be one at a time on leash after I have searched the yard with a heavy duty flashlight!

You poor thing! I've never had the "pleasure" of one of my dogs getting "skunked"! I liked Manchesters' idea of the tomatoe juice... for the bloody mary part, that is! :D

Fran27

Manchesters said:
Try the tomato juice. If it doesn't work, you could at least make a few Bloody Marys and drink them until the smell doesn't even bother you.
Lol!

Seriously though, you have my sympathy too. Thanks god my yard is fenced.

I have seen skunk products at the petstore, I would be curious to see if they work too... Just in case.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i have in my cabinet a bottle of this soap that was written up in an article in paws.
tht it worked 100 percent for skunk (or as my grandaughter calls them stunks..cause they spray stunk on you) its called dr.Bronner's magic soap 18-1 hemp eucalyptus pure -castile saop.....just be prepared to use a good conditioner afterwards because it really strips the oil. i don't know if you can get it or not..but it is suppose to be The skunk smell eliminator.

Adrienne

So I went to the vets and spent $20 on two tiny bottles of skunk Off, then went to Petco and bought a huge bottle of Nature's Miracle for skunks for $10. I used the Nature's Miracle stuff and it worked great. Didn't even need to wash her, just put the stuff straight on and let dry. Awww, no more smell of skunk! Now to figure out where that little bast*** is living so I can make his home not so comfy!

Cheap beer works well . . . and then there's my emergency skunk kit for late-night emergencies until you can bathe them in the morning . . . FEBREEZE! I don't recommend using it much or often, but it sure will cut the smell so you and the dogs can sleep. Shiva's the only one who will bother the skunks. Bimmer and Kharma give them a wide berth, but NOOOOOO . . . Miss Shiva has to stick that big head in where it doesn't need to be . . . :rolleyes:

M

Manchesters

Whew!

Adrienne said:
So I went to the vets and spent $20 on two tiny bottles of skunk Off, then went to Petco and bought a huge bottle of Nature's Miracle for skunks for $10. I used the Nature's Miracle stuff and it worked great. Didn't even need to wash her, just put the stuff straight on and let dry. Awww, no more smell of skunk! Now to figure out where that little bast*** is living so I can make his home not so comfy!
I am really relieved to hear that the smell is gone. And for the dogs too. They don't like smelling like that, and the gyrations they will go thru trying to get it off of them is pitiful.

Wonder how that Nature's Miracle will taste mixed with vodka, roflmbo. Not as good as tomato juice I bet.

Adrienne

LOL Manchester, me thinks you are right! It is so sad to watch them try to get the stink off, poor Neva was pretty tramatized, all though last year she was too and that didn't stop her!

Raika's Mom

Iggy and Kitty Mom
eww..that happened to my dog when I was little..I have vague memories of my parents pouring can after can of tomato juice over the poor dog. Glad the stink is out!! Also glad there are better products now than there used to be!

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
moth balls work very well for skunks. Skunks hate moth balls. If you can find where they are living try dropping moths ball in and around the hole.

Members online

No members online now.