Bull terrier

VC4mvp

Hi i'm a new member and i own a bull terrier and a jack russel terrier. Any ways my jrt is really friendly and so is my BT but for some reason my BT hates other dogs. Just recently i took my BT to the park and my friend brang his chocalate lab and wow, they were fine for like 5 minutes then they just went at it, of course my Bull terrier won with ease and really hurt my friend's dog but how do I prevent this from happening again

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
my only advice would be to not take your BT to any dog parks again. Only since it has dog-aggression issues and I wouldn't want to him to hurt another dog. Plus you could get him into trouble and be pts. :(
I can't move the thread, only the moderators can, but this should be in the "dog training" section.

VC4mvp

Yeah Tell me about it just really sucks because the dog loves people but gets really wierd around other dogs, he just always has to be the boss. My friends dog is okay by the way. thank god

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I know it sucks, but you just gotta keep your's and other's dogs health in mind. Glad to hear that your friends dog is ok! :) And you should be glad it was a friends dog and not a strangers dog. You might of had a law suit on your hands! :eek:
Although, since I wasn't there I can't really give you advice on weither your dog was the aggresor or if your friends dog has some bad doggy manners.
Maybe if you can explain a little more of the events before the attack.
Like was your dog's legs stiff, where was the tail at? Was it wagging ? Slowly fast or medium? Any growling?
Just in as much detail as you can. Otherwise we can't help you as good.

VC4mvp

Well you see my dog loves ball and I through it for him and my friends dog went and got it with my dog chasing him. Then they both jumped up on there hind legs and and started fighting. my dog was on top of my friends dog so we ran over and seperated them and my friends dog was bit just below the juggler vain in his neck.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
So it could have been just object guarding! Have you tried letting your dog play with other dogs without any toys?
This is also one reason I don't bring my dogs to dog parks. There are a lot of fights over objects like balls and treats.

VC4mvp

no i havent but that might just been the reason, neither of my dogs have really been adjusted to other dogs definetley my fault.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I understand. So I am assuming you've had these dogs since they were pups. How young were they?
Have you ever seen another dog on a walk and how did your dog react to it?

VC4mvp

yeah i have had them since they were pups. and when my dogs see other dogs my JRT barks alot and my BT does nothing untill comfronted. by the way is your dog's name chloe because my JRT is named that.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
VC4mvp said:
yeah i have had them since they were pups. and when my dogs see other dogs my JRT barks alot and my BT does nothing untill comfronted. by the way is your dog's name chloe because my JRT is named that.
Yeah my dogs name is Chloe. She is a 5 yr old Great Dane that I got from the Humane Society earlyier this year. :)

You said your JRT does fine around dogs so I am guessing your JRT's barking is just excitement? What does your BT do when comfronted?

VC4mvp

well he gets really tense well not tense, but it just like he does'nt like to be bothered so when a dog runs up to him it's like he almost feels to cool for that dog its actually quite funny, he never really bites at other dogs he just gives a loud growl and then normally i pull him away before it gets ugly

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
VC4mvp said:
well he gets really tense well not tense, but it just like he does'nt like to be bothered so when a dog runs up to him it's like he almost feels to cool for that dog its actually quite funny, he never really bites at other dogs he just gives a loud growl and then normally i pull him away before it gets ugly
It's a good thing that he ignores other dogs. It means he is just not interested in them, which is so much better than trying to go over and just attack them! Did you get the JRT and BT at the same time? If not how did they first react to each other?
How is your reaction when you meet other dogs? If your nervous when you meet them, your nervousness could be sent down the leash to your dog. Then the dog feels it has to protect you. Same thing if you bring the dogs close to you or tighten the leash when you come to other dogs.

Sorry for so many questions, I am just trying to get as much info as I can so I can try and help you.

VC4mvp

it's all good, know i did'nt get them at the same time there never was any problems between the two they really enjoy each other. and no i don't get nervous around other dogs but maybe your right my dog still might feel like another dog is an enemy and might hurt me so he feels oblicated to protect me.

VC4mvp

My Bt by the way has faught a pit bull before and it was scary but that was all the pit bull's fault i was just passing by with my Bt and the PB just went crazy. me and the other owner seperated them really quickly though but it could have gotten really ugly.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Hello and welcome!! :D I would post your question in the training forum where Creature Teacher will pick it up!! :D

VC, I'm assuming you're talking about a Bull Terrier and not Pit Bull Terrier? The Bull Terriers are the only breed NOT disqualified in the show ring for showing aggression to other dogs. It's part of their temperament. Unless the other dog is part of the family, a well-bred Bull Terrier is going to take issue with it, even to the point of fighting. They just aren't dogs that are suited to friendly trips to the dog park.

Personally, they're some of my favorites, but you just have to take that breed peculiarity into consideration when you've got one.

Members online

No members online now.