*sigh* craigslist stupidity

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
what kind of person posts the likes of
"I have 3 puppies left. i will be putting them to sleep by end of week if they are not adopted. 3 months old. call for adoption fee*number edited for privicy* blood will be on the hands of the flaggers who keep shutting down my post."

now this guy has 3 PRESA puppies...
these are not your normal every day breed in this area...
there not a "beginner" breed, theres no rescues in the area willing to deal with them they would be pts imediatly if put in a shelter as thats what there doing now with all "dangerous breeds" (mastif types, pitbull types, Ambulldog types, rotties, dobes and some other "bully type" breeds are, for the most part being pts upond admittance as shelters are full and these breeds are considered (by THEM) high risk.

my inner heartstrings tugged ive dropped the guy an email asking what hes looking for for an adoption fee and if these little ones have seen a vet ect (ie what would an "adopter" be getting for this money)
ive got a feeling hes going to be asking an astronomical "fee" for these dogs as its not a doubt its a BYB.

but i feel horrible for these pups, whether he would just have them PTS or not (especially since pts will cost him money) i dont know, but the thought that 3 3mth old pups would be killed becasue of some idiots stupidity and money grabbing just horrifies me.

unfortunatly though this breed...well everything ive read about them makes them amazing family dogs, but not for your average household.
my father would KILL me if i brought them here (though im still thinking about it lol)
sigh.

WHY are there people like this in the world?

as the owner of these pus he is within legal rights to have them pts and theres not a single vet in this area that wouldnt do it knowing what would happen to them in a shelter...*ugh*

ill see what his reply is...mabe i could get an out of state rescue involved if he seems like he might be reasonable about signing them over.

Pops2

do a search on the phone # & see if you can come upw/ a name & address. then post it on CL w/the whole story so people can go get in his grill. if you don't want to i will.

lisabobisa

I wouldn't want to see them put down but I really wouldn't "adopt" from this guy. If the "they'll be pts if you don't buy them" scam works, then he'll probably just breed more pups and do it again. I doubt that he'd really put them to sleep anyway. Like you said that costs money plus I just can't imagine it can be that hard to find homes for 3mo old pure bred puppies if you're not asking too much money for them. I'd say the best thing would be to put him in contact with a shelter (out of the area I guess) that would take them. Maybe even offer to take them over if he's unwilling. But I'd really hate to give into his ploy and pay money for his puppies.

Last edited:

ACooper

Ok, now THIS is the type of CL bull that needs flagged!

What a moron! I feel for those pups, but there is no way on earth I would consider "saving" these babies from him for his adoption "fee"
And him having them PTS and wasting his $ is probably reaching.......more likely he'd drown them or dump them somewhere :( If he's anything at all the way his ad sounds anyway.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
As sad as it is, this isn't the first time I've seen someone threaten to kill the dogs if they're not adopted. I think it's just one more way to scam someone into buying the dog. I think there's a limit on how much you can charge for an 'adoption fee' on craigslist. So people can get around that by saying 'rehoming fee'.

As to whether he'd actually kill the dogs, it's debatable. I think he's just trying to play the sympathy card to talk someone out of their money.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
AC, unfortunatly i belive your right...

and unfortunatly ive seen it happen...
the use of PTS doesnt always mean by a vet.
thats how i got my first dog, king, he was born along with a large number of other dane pups and was one of 6 that were solid white, the rest were merle and "merlequin" the white ones noone would take because of the risk of vision or hearing problems and he wasnt interested in taking the time to raise the merles just for "pet" prices...at least the merlequins he could get some cash for, so he sold the quins, then tried to drown the other 8 puppies casue "noone wanted them" i only managed to save one as i was too late to save the rest.

i would aboslutly not pay any money to pull these pups, i dont have money to give so thats not a problem...
if he would be willign to give them free to either myself or work with a shleter absolutly id take all 3 and rehome them (or get intouch iwth a shelter who does well with mastif and bulldog type breeds)

it just so depressing to see things like that.

ACooper

I hope you can get them from him, either for you or a shelter to rehome.

That is how I came to have Orson........awful man calling himself a "breeder" was letting him waste away with a belly full of worms, at nearly 3 months old he was a piddly 12 lbs, he could barely stand and it was even more of a challenge to walk :eek: You know that a dobe pup at three months should be upwards of 30lbs! There is no way I would reward him with money, but I did take the pup from him free with intentions of rehoming..........one thing led to another and boom, we have had him for nearly 4 years, LOL

There are those who said it was wrong to "unburden" this man and take the pup for free, they said it was enabling him to continue breeding. That isn't the way I see it at all. It wasn't "unburdening" him of anything because he could've cared less if Orson lived or died, he'd made his money from Orson's siblings who were already sold.........and even if he hadn't, he didn't care. He obviously wouldn't be out money anyway because I don't think there were vet bills involved in his little operation! :(

Good luck Foxy, I will keep you in my thoughts to get these pups into a better situation.

report it to A/C too.

wasnt there recently a story on the news about a BYB who said shes put down pom puppies if they didnt get adopted? Maybe getting A/C involved might get the word out and someone experienced can step in?

Doberluv

This whole thing just makes me sick! What an all star creep!!!! I hope you can get them and find them good, experienced owner-homes. Keep us posted.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
well his responce back is he wants $250 for each of the pups...and "since these dogs uusally go for like 2 grand...thats a bargain"

however the remainder of the email was actually nicely put together, considerate and made it sound liek he does care at least a little...
hes claiming that his wife kicked him out and he cant find a rental with the female and the 3 remainding puppies...(likely story *rolls eyes*, but unfortunatly would pass as truth in this area because its neer impossible to rent with even a tiny dog)

so i told him unfortunatly thats a little more than id be interested in spending on a rescue, particularly considering the urgent circumstances.
i also mentioned that being the average in the area to euthanize a dog was over $100 for a small breed puppy, that its going to cost him more to euthanize the dogs...
i also said "so if the time gets closer and they still dont have homes lined up and youd be willing to let me take them..."

so we'll see.
he very obviously wants his cash.

i checked his number posted and it belongs to a boat top company (fiberglass stuff)...
ive contacted animal control in the area but their responce was "as long as he isnt inhumane with the puppies and has them humanely put to sleep theres nothing we can do about it"

i dont know what discusts me more, the fact that this guy is threatening to have these dogs put to sleep (truth or not) or the fact that animal control is unwilling to pull them.

im now scouring the interwebs for the nearest rescue that might be able to help.

bubbatd

" Breeders " like this disgust me !!! I doubt if these poor pups had any of the care pups need from day one !

Lolas Dad

report it to A/C too.

wasnt there recently a story on the news about a BYB who said shes put down pom puppies if they didnt get adopted? Maybe getting A/C involved might get the word out and someone experienced can step in?
I'd get Rescue Ink involved They could be pretty intimidating standing at your front door and the guy would probably willingly give them up because Rescue Ink will not take his threat to PTS lightly. They in turn would make sure they got into proper homes. If A/C was to get involved there might not be much that they could do because dogs are considered property and with property you can do anything you want with it as long as it is not abuse.

Pops2

you could always report him to the IRS, 10:1 says he hasn't reported income earned from the sale of puppies.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Poor puppies, I hope something comes through for them. :(

Thats how we got Harry though, mum definetly didn't want another dog at the time. She met a woman at the local ag show who told her that her husband ran a station, he was going broke and shooting all the animals, she had 2 pups left and they were going to be killed the next day so she'd bought them into town to try to find them homes.
Mum said she'd meet them and then send me and my sister around asking if someone we know might help.
One look at Harry and she took him, they just clicked. I'm not surprised at his story though, they were giving them away and he had blood in his urine from the day we got him so I think he had a bloody rough start.

Members online

No members online now.