another idea for people who want doodles

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
I took my hounds out for a run this morning and saw a number of doodles, and two Portugese Water Dogs, one chocolate and one parti-colored. I was impressed by the similarity in appearance, in fact the owner of the Portugese Water Dogs told me that since the advent of the doodle everyone thinks his dogs ARE doodles. They certainly resemble the doodles more than either poodles or Labs/Goldens do.

Since I think prospective doodle owners are more into looks than anything else, suggesting a Portugese Water Dog seems like a good idea to me. Also they will have more of an idea of what kind of disposition looks and coat type they would wind up with.

I am no good at posting pics, but maybe someone could post pics of doodles and water dogs for me so you can compare, just not in that lion clip they sometimes have ( sorry for any terminology issues, I don't know that much about Portis except liking the ones I have met.)

Maxy24

Black goldendoodle

Portuguese water dog

Not the best pics, but the black ones do look alike. Of course I don't know about temperament.

More

doodle

PWD

Boemy

Curly coated retrievers are also mistaken for doodles sometimes. They're very handsome dogs and although they do shed, their coat is easy to take care of and only needs the occasional brushing, I've heard. :)

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
They aren't all black or brown either. One of the ones this morning is black and white spotted, called particolored, I think. Very striking.

PWD's are a great breed and very versatile as well. There was one in obedience classes whose owner was confined to a wheelchair. She got him as a puppy and with some help trained him to be her service dog and they also came to classes for obed. training. During this time not only did he earn his AKC CD in obedience but she took him to be tested as a service dog and he received his certification for that as well. The last I heard he was one qualification from earning his CDX.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
I love curly coated retreivers, but I think the PWD looks more like a doodle because it has a beard.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Meh. I would really hate for PWD's to become the next breed of the moment. They are such a great breed with virtually no BYB's or puppymills right now, I'd hate to see that change.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
Yeah, It would be bad if they became "the breed of the moment" as you say, but would it be worse than breeding all those doodles? I honestly don't know. Irish Water Spaniels are one of my favorite breeds, I think they are the clown of spaniels and if I got a spaniel that's what I would get, no question.

I prefer the spanish water dogs :popcorn:

The main difference is the size and that the hair is lot more curly

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Yeah, It would be bad if they became "the breed of the moment" as you say, but would it be worse than breeding all those doodles?
Honestly, if it came down to it, I'd rather have people breeding the doodles then everybody getting a PWD.

Members online

No members online now.