Tattoo Help

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
I've been thinking lately I want to get a tattoo. It was always gonna be Bella's birth to death date, but lately I've been thinking a quote would be so much better and what has really struck me and stayed with me, after reading Le Petit Prince in school, is this:

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

My issue is that I have zero idea where on my body it should go (and I am hoping for something less painful) and I still can't decide if I want the whole quote or just "It's only with the heart that one can see rightly" or "what is essential is invisible to the eye". I just really love this quote. Others looked at Bella and with their eyes didn't see anything special... I looked at her and my heart saw what it needed to see in her.

So ideas or suggestions as to where? and which part, or the whole thing? Help?

milos_mommy

I think what I would probably do, is plan on getting the first part of the quote, and possibly adding the rest later if you want. Or, getting the tattoo placed on temporarily in both ways, so you can see how it looks with less or more text - I think the first half is most important, as that's the part that talks about how valuable what the heart can see is, as opposed to what the eye CAN'T see, if that makes sense.

I'm planning on getting some text tattooed next to my spine, but not sure that's a popular choice because it will read sideways. Other popular choices for text seem to be the ribs, or along your collarbone (which looks REALLY pretty, but personally I'm avoiding because it's tougher to hide. If that's not important to you, go for it!).

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Permanent marker is your friend. Write the first part of the quote in a spot you think you may like, if you don't like it there, move it! Try the last part of the quote somewhere else. Then, once you find a spot you think you like, with either the whole quote, or just part of it, redraw it there every few days for about a month. If you are still loving it, get it done.

I personally would go for the whole quote, but it is your tattoo and the meaning is with you, so you need to do what you feel is right.

I think quotes on ribs are really cute, or the collar bone.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I've been thinking lately I want to get a tattoo. It was always gonna be Bella's birth to death date, but lately I've been thinking a quote would be so much better and what has really struck me and stayed with me, after reading Le Petit Prince in school, is this:

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

My issue is that I have zero idea where on my body it should go (and I am hoping for something less painful) and I still can't decide if I want the whole quote or just "It's only with the heart that one can see rightly" or "what is essential is invisible to the eye". I just really love this quote. Others looked at Bella and with their eyes didn't see anything special... I looked at her and my heart saw what it needed to see in her.

So ideas or suggestions as to where? and which part, or the whole thing? Help?
I have mine on my upper arms & it wasn't that painful ... It actually goes kind of numb after a while ... The only time it starts to hurt again is when he has to change needles.

If you don't want it to hurt alot I would avoid these areas:
Chest
Rib cage
Back of the neck
Stomach area
Back area

Of course this is relative to what you consider too painful. But for me the pain is part of getting a tattoo & when I get mine of my dog, the pain will be symbolistic of the pain I felt when I lost her.

I will add foot to the above painful list, and the back of the knees as well.

Of mine the only one that did hurt is the back of my neck, I have calves, upper arm and chest done as well.

I've had both shoulderblades done, as well as the inevitable tramp stamp (God, I wish I could go back and smack my 18yo self. :rolleyes:), and I didn't find the pain to be too terrible with any of the three. The initial pain to me was much less then the rawness afterwards.

The worst, though, was the itching as it healed. I wanted to claw my skin off for almost two weeks. I would have put up with the actual pain of the tattoo a thousand times over if it meant not having that horrible itching. And this was three different artists at two facilities.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
The spot I am looking at most strongly right now is the back of my shoulder, up on my trap kind of. Not on my shoulder blade, but up higher towards my neck.

A lot like this, actually:

And on my left shoulder I'd get the first part of the tattoo, and if I decided after, I'd get the second part of the quote on my right shoulder... thoughts?

ETA: This is the picture that gave me the idea for the spot:

ETAA: I would LOVE the collar bone... but I hear that hurts a LOT. :p

Pops2

Honestly most tattoos are stupid. They're cool for about a year then they're just embarrassing. The tats that will still be cool in 20 years are few & far between. Remember to consider how it'll look on old wrinkled hide. That's why i'm only getting USMC in anglo saxon runes branded on my ribs, after my military intelligence career is done of course. It is simple, unobtrusive & timeless and a lot of my aging is already done.
In short, PLAN WELL.

milos_mommy

Get the tattoo where you want it most, not where it's going to be the least painful.

Seriously. This is a lifetime commitment you're making to something that will be on your body 24/7 365 forever. The pain difference between your shoulder and collarbone, or ribs and arms, etc. of a tattoo (especially one that's small enough that it will probably take less than 20 minutes) is not worth limiting where you want it to "less painful" areas.

You're not about to get like....your eyeballs or your genitals tattooed, so IMO, if you're too worried about the pain to get the tattoo where you think it will look the best, you're too worried about the pain to be committing to a tattoo.

Members online

No members online now.