Whole ox tails

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
So, I'm considering this as a new RMB for Frodo, but I can only get it in 20# cases, so I'm looking for some input from those who have fed them.

First off, are they hackable with a butchers knife/meat cleaver? And would you consider them a tooth breaking hazard for a medium sized dog (Frodo doesn't get weight bearing bones or processed hooves or antlers etc. because he will break teeth on them)?

I'm trying to find a turkey neck replacement that is either pork or beef due to his allergies.

Thanks!

monkeys23

My dogs eat a lot of whole oxtail. The processor does go through the bone, but leaves it hooked together through connective tissue. This seems to not be an issue as there aren't any sharp edges and really makes it easier to portion. I had a really tough time finding the joint to section one that hadn't been cut right. Still easier to portion than turkey neck though. At least for me, but then I have crappy knives.

My dogs are larger (50 & 60lbs respectively) and careful chewers, but power through it just fine. Sometimes Scout doesn't finish hers all the way, but I'm giving her pretty big peices. I just give it back whenevr she's kenneled and she eventually finishes it.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Thanks!

Hrm, I'll have to call and ask if they leave the skin on (when I'm ready to order, not for a while) because I feel like skin on will make it way harder to figure out where to chop.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
So, I'm considering this as a new RMB for Frodo, but I can only get it in 20# cases, so I'm looking for some input from those who have fed them.

First off, are they hackable with a butchers knife/meat cleaver? And would you consider them a tooth breaking hazard for a medium sized dog (Frodo doesn't get weight bearing bones or processed hooves or antlers etc. because he will break teeth on them)?

I'm trying to find a turkey neck replacement that is either pork or beef due to his allergies.

Thanks!
I used to get whole oxtail from the butcher a lot

They are really easy to cut apart since it's just a series of joints. I usually just used the tips of a kitchen scissors and snipped the connective tissue to get to the size I needed for each dog.

Make sure you have a dog that will chew the bones as the ones near the tip can be rather small.

I wouldn't consider them a teeth breaking hazard at all. Definitely not weight-bearing and none of my dogs ever had trouble crushing the bones.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Okay! I just have to figure out when Megan would have room in the freezer for me to store, since she is putting together an order now for other stuffs and I'm not ready to order until after I recover financially from our appointment at the U.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I used to get whole oxtail from the butcher a lot

They are really easy to cut apart since it's just a series of joints. I usually just used the tips of a kitchen scissors and snipped the connective tissue to get to the size I needed for each dog.

Make sure you have a dog that will chew the bones as the ones near the tip can be rather small.

I wouldn't consider them a teeth breaking hazard at all. Definitely not weight-bearing and none of my dogs ever had trouble crushing the bones.
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for!

Okay! I just have to figure out when Megan would have room in the freezer for me to store, since she is putting together an order now for other stuffs and I'm not ready to order until after I recover financially from our appointment at the U.
Okay! I don't have much freezer space right now, either. I'm looking at getting another chest freezer just for the dogs - the one I have now is way too small. I just don't know how I'm going to get it home (won't fit in my car), or where I'm going to put it. Or, most importantly, how I'm going to pay for it, since I'm forseeing a large car bill in the near future. :(

M

MyHorseMyRules

As others have said, they're not a hard bone at all. But if you leave them whole, the dog can carry them around, and they will wag like a tail. A bit too much food for Frodo to eat all at once, I suppose... But it's still fun to do that to guests...

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
As others have said, they're not a hard bone at all. But if you leave them whole, the dog can carry them around, and they will wag like a tail. A bit too much food for Frodo to eat all at once, I suppose... But it's still fun to do that to guests...
:rofl1::rofl1:

Yeah, Frodo eats 4-6 ounces of raw a day, the ox tails look quite large in the pictures I can find.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
LOL, I don't think it would swing like a tail if I gave it to Frodo to carry, not enough clearance :p More like it would slither along the floor like a slug. And leave behind nasties, like a slug.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
LOL, I don't think it would swing like a tail if I gave it to Frodo to carry, not enough clearance :p More like it would slither along the floor like a slug. And leave behind nasties, like a slug.
Oh that's an image lolol

Members online

No members online now.