Problem With Dog Walker

This issue is not actually with our regular-dog walker, but the dog-walker's boss who walked our dog today.

We own a 6 1/2 month old pug named Bunk. He is crazy and weird and we love him to death. :mrgreen:
Today, I received a text from our dog-walker's boss (he owns the dog-walking business) saying that he expanded the barrier in Bunk's crate in order to give him more space, explaining that Bunk looked cramped.
We had planned on giving Bunk more room in his crate, but were unsure since he peed in his crate the last time he did so.

I felt kind of strange about this man increasing Bunk's space without our permission, but trusted his decision since he seemed like a very knowledgable individual the few time I had the chance to meet him.

When we came home, Bunk's crate was full of pee and had beed expanded by about twice the area.
I called the dog-walker from that day and asked him if he thought it was the best decision, to which he replied by saying that Bunk looked "tormented" in his crate and that continuing to leave him in such a small space would be "tortue."
I felt these comments were an indirect insult towards my girlfriend an me and felt as if I had done harm to my puppy.

He then recommended that we find more time for Bunk during the day to get out and pee, which would mean one of us coming home during the day or us spending more money for a second daily visit.

We currently leave the house around 6:45 am, have his regular walker come by around 12:00 pm, and return by around 5:00 pm to take him out.
The last time Bunk had any issues peeing in the crate was around a month ago when his space was increased.

I just called our local PetSmart (we know and trust a lot of the people there), and they said that Bunk should have just enough room in his crate to lie down, which is what we have been told several times by several people, and that that is the best way to crate train.

The dog-walker seems to think he needs about double the space he currently has, as well as two visits in between us leaving and coming home from. work.

I would love to have Bunk go out twice while we're at work, but we simply can't afford it.

Does he really need more time out?

Are we not giving him enough space in his crate?

I want to do what is right for Bunk, but I feel a little uncomfortable about this situation.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
If he's still peeing in his crate, but can hold it when you are gone, with the dog walk, then he doesn't need more space, and I think it's a bit presumptuous of the dog walker to do that. Dogs don't need more than enough room to stand up, lie down, and turn around in their crate. All of mine can spend an 8 hour day comfortably in their crates like that.

JacksonsMom

Hmmm... let's see, that's a little over 5 hours in the morning and a little under 5 hours in the afternoon, presuming the dog walker stays for about 30 minutes or so. I mean, it SHOULD be fine. But some dogs do take longer to mature and maybe he, still at 6 months, is too young to be holding it that long?

I am a dog walker and I admit, I kept throwing hints at a Rottie's owner to make his crate bigger. He could not even stand all the way up, barely could turn around, he did look really cramped and it did make me feel sad. But I never ever would have done something without asking them first. They keep him in the bathroom now so I guess they realized he was too big. But he really WAS too big. It sounds like Bunk is okay with the smaller size.

It does seem weird that he would be peeing in his crate still. Even if the space is increased.... have medical problems such as UTI's been ruled out? I mean, to me, if he's going pee in the crate, it seems like he DOES need to go more. But I dunno.

Hope someone with more info chimes in. :)

It does seem a bit weird if he gets by this point not to go in his crate that just because there is more space he is going...how long has he been potty trained?

At 6 1/2 months the times are probably ok but any younger and I would think it was too long.

Any chance the peeing was a bit of anxiety over the new walker, new size, etc and not just the space? If you left it for a couple days would he keep having accidents?

How big is the total crate size? At 6 1/2 months a pug shouldnt be getting that much bigger so I guess I am a bit confused to how big the full crate is and how much you have it cut down to? Especially as his space was doubled?

Last edited:

milos_mommy

If he can comfortably stand up, spin in a circle, and lie down in the crate, it's not too small.

10 hours is a long time for a dog to be alone during the day (I wouldn't worry about him having to "hold it" for 5 or 6 hours, though), but if he is getting sufficient exercise aside from that, isn't anxious about going into the crate, and isn't having any kind of behavioral problems or difficulty with training, I don't think he needs more walks, I think your dog walker is just trying to make more money.

That said, it is kind of unusual for him to go in the bigger crate if he is at least somewhat housebroken.

Members online

No members online now.