Soft Side Crates?

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Any opinions on them? Have you had dogs able to turn or flip them easy?

I'm looking at one like this - Soft Crate

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I use a soft side crate for Izzy in the car. The dimmer light and the fact that she can't see out as well calms her down for some reason.

Have you had dogs able to turn or flip them easy?
My dogs have never flipped any kind of crate, they know that they're supposed to be relaxed and settled while in their crates.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Yes, Eve can flip ANY soft sided crate that isn't tethered down or barricaded with heavy objects. She can also chew through them if left alone in them too long.

I still like them and bought her one because of the convenience, because she can't flip it in the car, and for when I travel and stay in hotels or at someone else's house.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Hmm, I reallllly don't want to buy another wire crate just because my room can't handle two big crates like that. And when I go out to the farm and my trainer's I want one that is portable.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I got one from walmart and I put it up and down with no problem, there's a nifty little handle to carry it around with :p

Are you thinking about using it for your puppy, I'd be worried about a pup chewing it.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
No, I got Lizzie's puppy crate that the pup could probably use atleast for a couple months. But the pups sire is a big whopin' 45lbs. :eek:

RD

Are you dead yet?
Agreed, do not put a puppy in a soft-sided crate.

If you get airline-style crates, you can stack them, one on top of the other. Lizzie on bottom and pup on top.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Is it bad to switch dog crates between dogs? Lizzie doesn't use her big one much now but still uses it once in a while as a "safe place" to her. I could just let new pup have that one till he's older then give Lizzie back hers?

Dunno, would that cause problems?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Is it bad to switch dog crates between dogs?
I have 2 crates, the dogs could care less which one they're in, but they also grew up doing this. It may be different with other dogs. Is she protective of her crate with Major?

Ilyena

I've had a soft side crate for my dog since he was a little puppy. I didn't realize a pup might chew his way out of it when I bought it before I brought him home, but it turned out mine never tried to do that. It has been slightly damaged from him scratching a little but that has always been his way of telling me he needs to go out as he doesn't bark. Overall I prefer the soft side crate over the metal crate cause it's so easy to take with us when needed, he's never flipped it over (although I don't think he has really tried, he knows it's his place to relax and sleep) and he feels much calmer in it when he can't see out that well.

BostonBanker

Lizmo - the one you are looking at is the one I have for Meg at trials. Although I would never use a soft crate for a dog who wasn't already crate trained, that is without a doubt the nicest soft crate I've seen, and can't recommend it enough. Much, much sturdier than a lot of the ones I've seen - I can practically sit on it and it doesn't give at all. It's also nice because you can order replacement covers if something does happen to it (granted the covers are the most expensive part, but you still would save some money).

I spent quite a bit more on my Noz-to-Noz than I would have with a lot of the other brands, but am really glad I did.

MicksMom

This is the soft sided crate I have for Caleb:
http://www.petedge.com/catalog/product_popup.jsp?entityId=46652&entityType=product&templateType=1

I love it becasue it's light weight and easy to set up/take down. It's a bit bigger than I anticipated, tho. I went with the exterior measurements of my Vari Kennel, forgetting the soft sided crate would have the same interior demensions as exterior. Caleb did almost flip it the first time he used it- he threw himelf against the side when he laid down. We had a Doberman at class once who rolled his softsided crate across the floor.
A word of warning for those who use them in vehicles- soft sided crates won't offer protection in a car accident.

Dekka

Just try me..
The Noztonoz are very nice crates..I see them a lot at trials. But my exp with soft crates isn't good. Kaiden is the model dog in a crate, doesn't dig, bark, whine. He will happily spend all day in his crate if he has too. (weird for a JRT isn't he) goes in very willingly etc. As soon as you leave him alone in a soft crate he is through. As he is my best behaved dog in a crate I hesitate to try anyone else in one.

Members online

No members online now.