Bathing??

iky

I was told that you only need to bath Siberian Huskies twice a year if even so much, because they clean themselves. Now, although Codi had no odour, i was wondering if this is true, as I have always believed in bathing dogs to just keep them clean? Can someone advise please? Codi is 14 weeks now, and would like to get him use to bathing while he is still young because I dont know how i will put a 25kg dog in a bath tub? :confused:

Even tough people say that they only need a bath twicw a year, it is up to your discretion how often you bath your pup. My vet recomends when ever you thing they need it, once a month(if they like to play in the dirt, as long as you use the proper shampoo. Try not to give too many or you run the risk of skin problems.
--Shelly

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
Twice a year isn't unheard of, even in other breeds. It just depends on how fast he gets dirty. I'm not sure about Siberian Huskies, but I know with Dobermans it's better for their coat if you don't bathe them much. If Duke didn't get so darn dirty, I would idealy only bathe him about twice a year. But because of the amount of dirt he picks up in the fields, he gets a bath about every month. After his bath he gets sprayed with the Listerine mixture, and after he's dry his coat is sparkling clean. I put him in the tub and he's about 80 pounds. He jumps in the tub and waits for me. I even caught him sleeping in there one night, so if you get your pup use to it, a bath won't be a problem.

maui

treats in tub

Hi Iky-

To get your pup used to the tub. Try taking Cody into the tub without water a few times. Put a towel in the bottom to keep him from slipping. Give him treats. High level, like cheese or hot dogs. After this is fun...

Then, take him in a few more times with some warm water in the bottom. Don't forget the towel. Give many more treats.

Then, when he is used to that and doing well. Take him in and run the water. This can be loud and scary. Give many many treats and if it's scary, turn off the water and try it again on a different day.

By the time you do all this... it will be time for the first bath. He will think it's the best, or tolerable, depending on the dog. We call our bath time Tub Time and we don't use the dog's name or say come at all. I smear treats on the tub itself so he can lick away while I clean him.

Good luck!

You guys would all laugh at me giving my monsters baths. I put on VERY loose, old clothes that I don't mind ruining, cloth sneakers that I can throw in the wash, get a stack of old towels, and put my hair up - sometimes in a shower cap!

We try not to do baths in the winter, as the house only has a shower and an outside bath just isn't an option (unless we're having some of our weird weather, like the Christmas it was 78 degrees), but when you have extra large, very enthusiastic and adventurous herding dogs, cattle, and lots of mud that's not necessarily caused by rain, well, you can imagine . . . but you'd probably rather not, and it would probably fall short of the odiferous reality anyway.

Okay, now imagine a 140 pound dog in a shower in a very small bathroom. Did I mention this would be a very reluctant, 140 pound dog? An extremely wiggly, strong, very reluctant 140 pound (or more) dog?

And will someone please explain to me why a dog who is perfectly happy - make that euphoric - to jump in a pool and stick her head under the water to snort and blow bubbles thinks that getting clean is tantamount to her own personal Armageddon?

Now, imagine that the bath is over, everyone is soaked, everyone smells like wet dog, but at least it's a clean wet dog smell, and ONE of us has an eye that is red and burning from flea soap and a nose full of tickling dog hair, but the dog wants to shake, rattle and roll all that excess water into synchronous orbit in the outer atmosphere. From a very small, cramped bathroom.

Now, there's at least one more filthy, reeking puppy to wash . . .

maui

I know!!!

"...You guys would all laugh at me giving my monsters baths. I put on VERY loose, old clothes that I don't mind ruining, cloth sneakers that I can throw in the wash, get a stack of old towels, and put my hair up - sometimes in a shower cap!..."

I am not laughing at you - I'm laughing with you! We have a smaller dog (55lb) compared to your 140+ friend and I still use the "painting tee shirt" and "old pants". Also- getting quite good at predicting the shake. It took many times of wiping the whole bathroom down! Now I pull the shower curtain, usually with an ahhhhahahh! Yeah, he manages to stay in one place but he gets pay back in his own little way.

-maui

I was told that you shouldn't give baths more than every six weeks because it can dry out a dog's skin. It's hard to say because I do give my dog a bath about that often but my dog gets wet a lot because he loves to swim in our pool. I know it's not the same thing as a bath but it does get him clean when he's been in the mud :D. If you have a question about it further I am sure you can ask you vet and they can give you the best advice.

pitbulliest

I bathe my dog once a month...I don't think you have to worry about drying out their skin if you use an oatmeal based shampoo...also, you may want to be careful about NOT bathing a dog...if a dog isn't kept clean, there is more room for parasites..especially fleas...not to mention, bathing a dog gets rid of dead skin and dirty that brushing won't do adequately..so I guess doing it as often as you need to ...if you see your dog's skin getting a little dry, then reduce the amount of times you bathe your dog a year..like I said I give my dogs a bath once a month and they're fine....there coats are shiny and healthy and thick *knocks on wood and thanks God*

Debi

Oh Renee....I just had to smile at your post!! I have given Hammie one bath....I have no clue who was wetter. All I know is at the end of it all..he smelled good..I smell like a dog! LOL I want to give Addie a bath so badly, but she is so sensitive.....you won't believe this, but she freaks out if you look like you're gonna touch her collar..let alone man handle her. And I do mean Addie FREAKS...when we have change something on her collar..she hides for hours..REALLY insulted that we messed with it. I tried clipping her nails the other night......she was mad at me for HOURS!!! She smells like a dog that has slept in old hay for over a winter....I'd REALLY LOVE to bathe her!!! Anyway..just made me chuckle picturing you giving a bath to your big dogs...LOL LOL :D

C

caninecreek

Had to laugh at your posts....

This is exactly the reason my husband and I started our self serve dog wash in April 2004. Washing five large dogs (the biggest is a Dane) at home is no picnic. I don't know where you folks are located, but you might want to check with your Chamber of Commerce to see if a SSDW exists in your area. If there isn't, there's a business opportunity waiting for the first person who has the motivation to start one! :)

Susie Atherton
Canine Creek Self Serve Dog Wash
www.CanineCreek.com

MEG126

hahah whenever i give my golden a bath, i have to put her in my parents' shower because they have the sliding doors on it, so penny can't get out- she hates baths. i tried the bathtub, she didn't think that and would not stay still. i don't think she liked the surface of the bottom so i put a towel on the bottom but that didn't seem to matter. so now i just use the shower and i put my bathing suit on and jump in there with her! hahahahha :D

Members online

No members online now.