Anal Glands? I know this is gross . . .

KellyB

Lately I've noticed a fishy odor sometimes when Kovi is sitting on my lap. She just recently had her anal glands expressed, so I didn't think that was the problem . . . but in the last couple of days, she's been sitting on my lap and I've smelled the smell then I find a wet spot on my pants . . . I know this is gross but, is she expressing her anal glands on me? The smell is bad, but not the horrible, make you vomit smell people describe . . . what could this be?

Get your vet or someone knowledgeable to show you. It isn't difficult by any means (you could probably figure it out by reading online how to do it). I express my dogs' anal glands each time they get a bath. Also.. I do it externally -- not internally.

Have the water going to wash away the stink after they have been expressed!!!

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
Expressing glands is disgusting but not hard. It's essentially two pea sized sacs near the opening of the rectum (one on each side) that you squeeze and gunk comes out into your hand. Fun times...

And the smell differs from person to person and dog to dog. Some times I don't even notice the smell while other times I can feel my eyes watering and my olfactory nerves trying to beat some sense into my brain.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Kona just had them done, I think that's the problem. It sounds like she's leaking a bit...I'm not quite sure why, but if this was the first time she's had them done, it might be a funny sensation and she's relaxing those sphincter muscles a touch.

I expressed Wrigley's for the first time last night and WOW it was gross! I knew his were getting full as I could smell the tell tale smell. We tried to get him in for a groom but our groomer was all booked up this week and we are on vacation next week. I gave him a bath last night and was spraying water under his tale and saw the area looked puffy--I simply squeezed the puffy portion with two fingers (externally) and a stream of extremely stinky gross stuff came out. I then scrubbed the area with soap--now it doesn't look puffy and doesn't smell funny------wow was it gross!

coteyr

forgive my ignorance but why would anyone want to do this? What are the benifits, what does it prevent? Why is it needed?

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Of expressing them?

If they become full, they can become impacted, infected, require surgery to deal with..

It's been said though that if you just randomly do it, like a groomer possibly doing it every 6 weeks during a groom.. they may not continue to work as effectively or hard. They should self express every time a dog poops.

I've known a few dogs to express them when scared or happy though.. Quite thankful I don't have a furball like that ;)

Members online