Training Tips

I thought'd be nice if we could all share training tips, or useful commands.

I taught my three girls "stop". This is a very useful command for when a dog is off-leash. I started with the dog on leash (four feet), walking, treats handy. At certain points, I would shorten the length of the leash, say, "Stop!" and stop. Then treat the dog. The girls learned it very quickly and it comes in handy.

Doberluv

I use that too Gaddy. It's a good one. I use the German word though, "halt." It does come in handy.

Another one I like and think has many applications is "leave it." I like to use commands like this rather than saying, "no" for everything. I save "no" for emergencies mainly. I use "leave it" for leaving things where they are, in the case of my Dobe and also when he is bugging Jose to play, hopping around him, rear up in the air, snapping his jaws, wagging his stub... and Jose doesn't want to play and is getting frustrated. I'll say, "Lyric, leave it!" LOL. Jose is too little to expect to do all the work in warding off Lyric. He's just a Chihuahua after all. LOL. Then there's the goose poop. Ugggg.

Purr

~3 Mutts~
Doberluv said:
I use that too Gaddy. It's a good one. I use the German word though, "halt." It does come in handy.

Another one I like and think has many applications is "leave it." I like to use commands like this rather than saying, "no" for everything. I save "no" for emergencies mainly. I use "leave it" for leaving things where they are, in the case of my Dobe and also when he is bugging Jose to play, hopping around him, rear up in the air, snapping his jaws, wagging his stub... and Jose doesn't want to play and is getting frustrated. I'll say, "Lyric, leave it!" LOL. Jose is too little to expect to do all the work in warding off Lyric. He's just a Chihuahua after all. LOL. Then there's the goose poop. Ugggg.
Carrie?? Haha...pretty funny when we start to recognize people from their dog's names... :rolleyes:

I haven't done "leave it" yet. Drop it is a good one. My dogs are good for picking up things that they shouldn't....like my $100 Nikes... :rolleyes:

Stop is a good one, too. I haven't gotten to that one yet.

Doberluv

LOL Purr!!!

Yes, drop it is good! That's good once they've already picked up the no no. Leave it sort of intercepts them....right when they look like they're going for it. LOL. Yeah....shoes! Uggg. I hate to think how many times I was sure Lyric was over that stage and he wasn't. G-r-r-r-r

Purr

~3 Mutts~
Heh heh...yeah, they always seem to find my shoes when I turn my back...LOL. Then you'll see Bear running like a mad man through the house, so I can't take them away :rolleyes: . He's such a goofball :p

Members online

No members online now.