When does one "draw the line"?

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
And what on EARTH does drawing the line mean?!

Nya has always had peeing issues. She has chronic UTI's, and a buttload of other pee-related health problems (kidneys, etc.) and has always been not such a good cat about using the litterbox. BUT she's always limited her outside the box peeing to my things. My clothes on the floor, my towel, stuff that smells like me I guess. And she ONLY pees on stuff when she's sick. (It's like a signal. Stuff gets peed on, Nya gets meds lol)

But now, she's not sick. Or at least not sick that I can do anything more about (we've explored and exhausted every treatment option at this point). And she's peeing on things that are definitely NOT mine. Or even clothes! She's peeing in Sierra's crate. I have to keep the door closed or it's peed in. She's been peeing in Matt's closet. She ruined a few photo albums, some childhood toys he has, his old computer even got a bit of it (GROSS)! And he's of course, pardon the pun, PISSED.

A lesser pet owner would have dumped her or rehomed her or put her down years ago. Infact I have my suspicions now about why she was on the street starving to death in the first place. I know that is not an option for me... but what on earth DO i do?! I can't live soaking in cat pee! It's been 4 years, and I've patiently bared the brunt of it since it was only my clothes etc. being affected, I just did a lot of laundry. My patience is wearing very thin :(

Maxy24

If you are SURE it's not a health issue then I would say it's a habit OR a negative association (if he medical issue resulted in pain when peeing she could associate peeing in the box with pain). I'd do what you'd do with kittens who are no litter trained and keep her in a bathroom (nothing absorbent that she's enjoy peeing on) with her litter box and other necessities like water, toys and a scratching post. Make sure the box is cleaned daily and make sure she likes the litter, some cats are picky about the size of the particles or will not go if the litter is scented. Some just hate change period. You can always try cat attract litter too. If you think it could be a negative association then change might be a good thing. A different litter and a different box in this new location would be good as it would not be related to the previous pain.
As you probably know use an enzymatic cleaner to clean messes.

After a few weeks in the room with the box start giving her short sessions of freedom when you are home to make sure she doesn't experiment. After a week or two having "outings" you can try her out all day and see how it goes. I know it sounds very long but it'd be better to take your time and have no accidents than it would to try and go quickly only to have some accidents and have to start over time and time again.

I sure hope you can help her to use the box again, you are a saint for being so understanding with her, I too know many people who would have dumper her long ago :(

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Hmmm, good tips Maxy, I hadn't thought of basically re-training her. That makes a lot of sense.

I was looking at Cat Attract litter the last time I was buying litter, I'll definitely pick up a bag.

Also, Feliway. I need to get me some Feliway.

*sigh* All is not lost, just incredibly frustrating.

Pam111

Ugh, this is one of the most frustrating things to deal with. I agree with the re-training thing. It has worked for me before

Snip

Banned

^Purrson^

We had issues with Tigger whom is now on the bridge.
We got him as a kitten, and he had no clue what a box was for. As it was used by our other boy, I dont know why he needed coaching but did.
I proceeded to train by bringing him in the bathroom every 4 hours or so, closing the door and just waiting til he peed then I celebrated and treated him. This was pre covered box days, ended up training him to pee and jump to my lap litter flying. Was pre Feliway days.
He always had sensitive bladder, would pee on things if scared or upset. I remember sitting in the bathroom with him post Northridge quake praying he would pee before next aftershock. (he did)

Kayota

This helps me too, thanks guys. I have a kitten that my mom is threatening to throw outside if it doesn't start using a litter box.

F

FluffyZooCrew

This helps me too, thanks guys. I have a kitten that my mom is threatening to throw outside if it doesn't start using a litter box.
... wow... really?

Yet, in another thread you just stated:

My mom got a dog to replace Cindy (it's okay - she's taking much better care of her pets now)
Yep... sure sounds it.

joce

I have a Siamese who is around twelve-ish now who has had to spend a lot of time locked in a big two story cage we built for him.

I had him two years and he was fine-never a problem. But then I started having guys over and he would pee on their shoes coat etc. Soon after it was anyone who would come over and then anything anyone else touched.

Multiple vet checks and I remember we had the recommendation of an anti depressant but can't remember if we tried it or not.

So it was to the point we were going to have to have him be an outside cat-which would never have worked, or build him a big cage. And luckily we had nothing in the basement and had the room to build a huge cage. He won't pee on anything in front of me and there has been times he has been back out of the cage-although he always screws up again and gets my guard up-for weeks. He comes out when I can pay attention enough and the rest of the time he could care less. He has beds and can run around and play. Much more floor space than if I had locked him in my little bathroom like I had thought of.

If I ever had to move somewhere without the cage I don't know what I would do. I love this cat but I can not deal with expecting pee on everything. If a bathroom was big enough I'd have him in there but thats so closed up and lonely(the basement in our house is my"suite" so its not like he is alone all the time).

With diablo we did the retraining and thats what usually seems to help the most. start with a bathroom,then give access to a hallway then a room. If they mess up take them a step or two back. We tried training him to stay away from certain areas but it didn't wort to well.

Good luck! I hope something helps. Its amazing the difference between cat and dog pee. I am lucky my dogs are great about house training but I would rather have them pee on my stuff anyday! That cat pee is toxic!

Members online

No members online now.