Catahoulas.

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
Demon Dogs . I have had two and son has one now. Born to raise chaos and masters of their ability to be whacked out. Over all I love them lol. Not as much as the ACD they are worse. If laid back is what you want then a Catahoula is not for you.

milos_mommy

i LOVE this breed...but i've heard they can be really dog-aggressive.

I know they're pretty much maddogs. Like high stung in a JRT/border collie on crack kind of way. Except A LOT bigger.

Why do i always fall for the breeds that are insane and hard to handle?!?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Well, there is a reason I call Voodoo the Chaos Demon! My 'houla experience is limited to Voodoo and a few I've met (catahoulas are actually common dogs in my area) but here's what I've learned so far.

-They are troublemakers. Not in a malicious way, though. They're simply intelligent dogs, and have a habit of coming up with brilliant ideas...and are not adverse to carrying them out instantly. Such as the time when Voodoo decided he wanted outside while we were gone, so he simply broke through the living room window. Voodoo has also learned how to open his crate, open the bedroom door, open cabinets, work the pantry doors, and deliberately slam himself into shelves to knock off whatever choice tidbit or toy is sitting on top.

-Yes, they can be dog aggressive. It's not a given, but it's always a possibility. Some are horrible, others just love every dog they meet. Voodoo is about 50-50. Some dogs he loves, others he will not get along with at all. Still, he's not so dog-aggressive that I can't take him out in public. We can sit at a line in Petco with a dog on either side of us, and he'll be an angel. But the other dogs start making physical contact such as licking or close sniffing, there's a possible problem.

-They are hard dogs with a sense of humor. It's hard to describe. They're very happy, laid-back dogs when at play. Extremely loveable, cuddly and a real joy to be around. But when something turns them "on", they're all business and extremely intense. It's important to have control over them.

-You cannot bully these dogs. Nu-uh. Don't even think about it. And that's not just my experience...our neighbors trained working catahoulas, and that's their experience at well. They're eager to please and willing workers, but you will NOT get anywhere if you try to physically intimidate or bully them. Show them what you want and they'll do it, try to force them and you'll get nowhere.

-They also tend to be food aggressive. Voodoo has no problems with people, but it took a lot of work to allow him to tolerate Zeus nearby while he had food. Voodoo once started a horrible, bloody fight with Zeus over a stale tortilla, and it resulted in an emergency vet visit and several hundred dollars worth of surgery for both dogs.

-They're definately athletic dogs. I wouldn't necessarily say they're super-active, like BCs, (although Voodoo's puppy time was absolute hell), but they have a lot of physical capabilities. Voodoo's not the fastest dog, but he's very strong and can jump insanely high. We have to put him on a tie-out whenever he's outside because he can jump our six-foot fence.

- They're protective. Voodoo will not let anyone into our house or yard unless we tell him it's all right....then he's happy and will lick them to death. But I can easily see how that could turn into aggression if you don't socialize the dog enough.

-The teenage years are absolute hell with these dogs. I've been through that stage with numerous dogs, and Voodoo's was the worst I've ever experienced. Insanely active, destructive, stubborn, "selective" hearing, the whole nine yards. I despaired so many times, and seriously considered rehoming him. But once they get past that stage, the result is well worth it. The adult dogs are wonderful....loyal and devoted to you 100%---I have no doubt that Voodoo would joyfully walk through hell and back if I asked it of him.

Seriously, if you can manage the hard aspects of the breed, catahoulas are wonderful. Very much characters, affectionate, trainable and always good for a laugh. I haven't regretted my decision to stick through everything with Voodoo. But you have to know what you're getting into, and know how to manage it.

TheWonderPuppies

Pres. Of Gutter Club.....
I wouldnt recomend a catahoula to a first time owner they are high strung and high energy and have A VERY THICK SKUll(stubburn?!?!?!)

They can be DA esp wioth dogs that they did not grow up with from puppy hood
I agree with Gemp about the teeneage years !!!!

The dogs were origionally bred In Louisiana and are their state dog

today they are mainly used as a type of cattle dogs but have been used for bull baiting

When most ppl think caahoula they think of either red or blue merle dogs bbut they also come in brindle black and white and even tri along with black and tan. they can have brown eyes blue eyes or a mixture of both.
All of the ones i have met have a hi prey drive and were not good with cats or very small dogs.

they are always keeping their owner on their toes and can be a big clown when not working or being protetive!!!(i must say they do have the best zoomies of any dog i have met lol)

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Thanks everybody! :)

How do they do with dog sports? Agility, tracking, scooterjoring?

yea, but PW, my two with the most dog aggression are my corgis
Yea, both of mine had/have aggression issues. They're tough little buggers!

TheWonderPuppies

Pres. Of Gutter Club.....
They were breed to bull bait and herd cattle(some were also used for dog fighting) The best way i can tell you is put a serious high drive BC with a very quircky pit lol and you might coem closs in personality

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I have no experience with malinois, so I have no clue how the two compare. But I do think thewonderpuppies described their personality pretty well.

As to dog sports, I think they would excel at it if you can focus their drive. Once these dogs focus on something, they are nigh unstoppable. I've always wanted to get Voodoo into agility. Like I said before, they are very athletic, agile dogs. But because of the potential for dog aggression don't recommend doing any group dog sports, like lure chasing or flyball.

Members online

No members online now.