Epi

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
Roy is suspected of having EPI. His TLI is 8 though but the vet. thinks Roy could be on his way to EPI and therefore he prescribed Viokase and change of diet. Roy was originally on Natural Blend so I switched to California Natural Chicken Meal and Rice Adult Formula for lower fat. Roy has been on Viokase for 3 days 1 spoon / meal as per the vet's advice. I haven't noticed a huge change in the texture of his stool, still greasy. The stool volume has decreased though. On Thursday something weird happened. He pooped in the morning and the stool was firm but a bit greasy. The same day he pooped in the evening and the first little bit of his stool was firm but the rest was soooo soft almost watery ... does anyone have an explanation ?

Thanks

Last edited:

mojozen

bullie lover
Hey JR - excuse my ignorance but i don't understand your abbreviations? Could you explain what EPI and TLI are? MOstly because I am curious.

I know the California Natural cat food has worked wonder with my hedgehog - but their dog food I know next to nothing about. Sorry.

Bucket

JR0579
I have a Shiloh Shepherd that has EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufiencency) and IBD (irritable bowel disease). I have never used the Viokase we were given Pancreazyme which I believe is the samething just different brands. When she was diagnosed her TLI test came back at 1.2 so she was low. The test was sent down to Texas. She was diagnosed at 11 months of age and she is now 3.
My suggestion to you is to call your vet and let them know what is going on.

They will be able to guide you if they feel you need to adjust your amounts . It does take sometime and trial and error to adjust the Enyzmes. Too much can cause the Runs and too little can too. I still adjust hers when needed. For her sometimes extra treats can cause her stools to be soft. I noticed when she does extra running her stools can be soft but we are also dealing with IBD too.

Also when did you switch foods? How long on the California Natural?

I wish you and Roy the best.
Also Yahoo has a good group for EPI. I learned alot just reading there.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/k9-EPIGLOBAL/

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
mojozen said:
Hey JR - excuse my ignorance but i don't understand your abbreviations? Could you explain what EPI and TLI are? MOstly because I am curious.

I know the California Natural cat food has worked wonder with my hedgehog - but their dog food I know next to nothing about. Sorry.

Trypsin-like immunoreactivity (TLI) test. The TLI test may help diagnosing acute pancreatitis in both cats and dogs. This test measures serum concentration of two enzymes, trypsinogen and trypsin and Bucket defined EPI ... so there you go.

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
Bucket said:
JR0579
I have a Shiloh Shepherd that has EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufiencency) and IBD (irritable bowel disease). I have never used the Viokase we were given Pancreazyme which I believe is the samething just different brands. When she was diagnosed her TLI test came back at 1.2 so she was low. The test was sent down to Texas. She was diagnosed at 11 months of age and she is now 3.
My suggestion to you is to call your vet and let them know what is going on.

They will be able to guide you if they feel you need to adjust your amounts . It does take sometime and trial and error to adjust the Enyzmes. Too much can cause the Runs and too little can too. I still adjust hers when needed. For her sometimes extra treats can cause her stools to be soft. I noticed when she does extra running her stools can be soft but we are also dealing with IBD too.

Also when did you switch foods? How long on the California Natural?

I wish you and Roy the best.
Also Yahoo has a good group for EPI. I learned alot just reading there.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/k9-EPIGLOBAL/
Thanks Bucket for your response and wishes ... I wish you and your pets the same. I have logged on to that group and the info. there is just making my head spin :) ... Too much info. and the worst part is that they talk about signs that Roy isn't showing which make me either get more worried or imagine that Roy is actually showing those signs ...

I spoke to Naturapet and they advised to allow 4-6 weeks until Roy's digestive system gets used to the new food. Less than that they say I should expect loose stool. He has been on C.N for about 10 days. I also spoke to my vet and he is going to do SAF fecal and Canine Infectious Diarrhea Profile (DNA). What do you think ?

Bucket

Hi JR0579
Epi can be very Overwhelming. I was too when we were diagnosed. That site though is a good wealth of info. But as a newcomer to it you can go into overtime reading all the files.
Also each dog is different on the amount of Enzymes needed. The nice thing too is they bulk order Enzymes which are much cheaper. As you know its very expensive and depending upon the amount you need a bottle does not go very far.
There are also some that do better on just the Plant based Enzymes or a combo of both.

Its not a bad idea to also rule out bacteria problems too. Our girls have a habit of eating Rabbit droppings in the Yard. I call them trail mix.
I'm not familiar with the tests you mention. But they did culture her stool and ran blood tests. They found she also had SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacteria Overgrowth) http://www.mesavet.com/library/sibo.htm
which I was told is very common with EPI dogs. It was treated with a course of Antibiotics. That was right at the begining when we just got the TLI test results back. Since then she has been fine. I do give her a Probiotic to keep her Flora in balance which we got from the Holistic vet.

As for the food change over did you go slow by mixing the old with the new? For my girls I go slow. Seems both have sensitive stomach. Our EPI girl eats Raw and our other is eating the California Natural Chicken and Rice. We switched her from Canidae to the California Natural because I wanted one Protein source. I did not have any stool issues during the change. But every Dog is different. If you have food questions Mordy on this board is great which you probably already know.

Here are some links that I had saved when I was researching the EPI. They are easy reads maybe one will be of help.
http://www.gsdsrus.freeserve.co.uk/epistuff.html
http://www.wsgenetics.org/articles/epi.html
http://ellsbury.com/cheetahfaqs.htm

How are his stools doing? How much enzyme do you use in his meal?

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
Bucket said:
How are his stools doing? How much enzyme do you use in his meal?

Thanks for the info. Bucket. I use 1 teaspoon / meal as advised by the vet.
As for his stool, that's the confusing part. One time it's all firm, another time it's part firm part soft, almost watery. It's been like that before and after the enzyme. What's worrying me is that he is losing weight. He lost almost 1lb in 1 week and I have to force him to eat. What test did you for SIBO? My vet. tells me to find out about SIBO, it'll cost me a $1000.00 surgery

Thanks again

Bucket

Hi
As far as I knew they ran Blood tests and they cultured her stool. I believe the blood test was checking for bacteria by checking her folate and cobalamin level. I'm not sure if the stool culture would how SIBO but it ruled out other bacterial problems. Here is a good site
http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/git-bo.htm#f
And here is another
http://www.shilohgtf.com/S.I. Bacterial Overgrowth Syndrome.htm

There was talk about doing the endoscopy so they could get some tissue,fluid and to look around but we decided against it. When she was Spay she had a reaction to the Anesthesia even though we did Prelim blood work. One month after that whole ordeal she was diagnosed with EPI. Here whole system went Haywire. We also follow a different protocol for Vacinations now too.

I hope I'm nt flooding you with too much. But i found going into the Vet with Info you found on your own does Help. EPI from what I found here in our area is not a common problem Vets treat. They had to order the Enzymes for us and initially I asked for them to run the TLI test on her. They thought I was a nut because she was so young and did not fit the book definition of it occuring in dogs of 4years of age. She was young 11 months. If your open to the idea I would also maybe see a Holistic Vet in your area. We use both Conventional and Holistic. It has helped her out alot with additional support for her Pancreas and intestinal tract. Diet and nutrition some herbs, along with a Vaccine protocal. Please dont think I'm pushing you into anything but I'm just sharing what we have found to work for her and I'm glad we did. I got very concerned about all the Antibiotics she took to rid her of the Bacteria. It was depleting her supply of the good bacteria.

Hope I have been of some help. Feel free to PM me if need be. I have been where you are and its very Overwhelming.

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
fillyone said:
Have you tried feeding 3 times a day instead of 2?

Yes Barb. I switched to 3 times instead of 2 about 4 days ago. I don't know why I have a gut feeling that it's not EPI but something that has to do with Coccidia and Clostridium infections that he had a while back. I am not a vet., so it's just a gut feeling. Anyway, I'll wait for the fecal test results to come back on Wednesday..

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
I only know that it seems he's following in Dante's pawsteps. I'm no vet though!!

I was reminded again today how nice it is to have solid poops from Dante when he decided he had to poop while we were out for a walk!!

I hope you get some answers on Wednesday!!

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
The fecal test results for Roy came back positive to cryptosporidium which is a " nasty form" of Coocidia. He will be on Tylosin for 3 weeks. What I have read on the internet regarding this parasite is that it causes bloody diarrhea which Roy doesn't have. His stool is just greasy and voluminous. When he was infected with Coccidia he vomited and didn't eat or drink signs that aren't showing now. I am at loss; is it EPI or cryptosporidium ? Any ideas ?

Members online

No members online now.