The dog musing/vent thread

Saeleofu

I was gonna do some sort of panel with a total T4, free T4, and TSH. Trying to get the biggest picture without spending the biggest amount of money :p All the panels with the antibody testing were a little more than I'd like lol. We use Idexx.
At the clinic I worked at, we sent them to Michigan. And the vet refused to do even a trial of meds unless a FT4 was abnormal AND a full panel was sent off and came back abnormal.

When Gavroche's FT4 came back low (after arguing A LOT to convince him to do the screening in the first place) he was SURE the full panel was going to come back fine. Lo and behold, every single value was off and his thyroid autoantibodies were through the roof. And the only symptoms were weight gain, slight hair loss on his tail (as it turns out, he had MAJOR hair loss all over, I just didn't realize it until it all grew back in), and slowing down (which I chalked up to aging, even though he was...3?). There were a LOT more symptoms that improved with medication that I never realized existed until they improved, and some that led me to believe he'd been hypo for quite some time.

Check her levels. It's such a simple fix if that's the problem, and you'll both feel MUCH better.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
At the clinic I worked at, we sent them to Michigan. And the vet refused to do even a trial of meds unless a FT4 was abnormal AND a full panel was sent off and came back abnormal.

When Gavroche's FT4 came back low (after arguing A LOT to convince him to do the screening in the first place) he was SURE the full panel was going to come back fine. Lo and behold, every single value was off and his thyroid autoantibodies were through the roof. And the only symptoms were weight gain, slight hair loss on his tail (as it turns out, he had MAJOR hair loss all over, I just didn't realize it until it all grew back in), and slowing down (which I chalked up to aging, even though he was...3?). There were a LOT more symptoms that improved with medication that I never realized existed until they improved, and some that led me to believe he'd been hypo for quite some time.

Check her levels. It's such a simple fix if that's the problem, and you'll both feel MUCH better.
Thankfully my vet was totally suggestive of doing like a 1 month trial if anything comes back questionable. I just don't know if that's long enough to physically notice a change?

The more I think about it, the more I think she has a ton of symptoms,but then maybe some of it is normal aging (ie, not being as fit as she once was). Now I can't decide if I should just cover everything and splurge for the antibody testing too? Urgh. :p

Saeleofu

Thankfully my vet was totally suggestive of doing like a 1 month trial if anything comes back questionable. I just don't know if that's long enough to physically notice a change?

The more I think about it, the more I think she has a ton of symptoms,but then maybe some of it is normal aging (ie, not being as fit as she once was). Now I can't decide if I should just cover everything and splurge for the antibody testing too? Urgh. :p
Oh yes, you will totally see a huge change in a month! Gavroche was already looking and acting much better within a week.

Sekah

The Monster.
Today I'm gonna get Cohen into a pool! She's not big on swimming, but I'm hoping that in a controlled environment with a life jacket she'll find some confidence and, MAYBE learn to like it. I wanna get this dog swole.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Sumemr has taken to digging up my yard. What a weird behavior to develope at 10 years old. They're not big holes but they're everywhere. I just noticed last night when I went to sit down and there were three holes dug all around me.

DJEtzel

Jon's coming Saturday morning to get Frag and take him to Kansas with his new wife for a few months before his next deployment. :( I'm so bummed. We took the Germans to the park last night and played ball until they could barely run. :D Frag's getting spoiled rotten, I did all the shopping I needed to for his time there to get Jon started - Food/water bowls, chuck it, 6 kong squeaker tennis balls, 30# of food, nupro, fish oil, a few bags of treats, bully sticks, pig hooves, kong, a few random toys, smart bones, etc. It's like shopping for a new dog! Included a pair of nail trimmers I had, his muzzle, vet records (and found a local vet for him!) a few months worth of HW preventative, poop bags, all his collars and leads, a new lead for him, his tags... It's just making me sad. I know I'll be getting him back soon, but I'm bummed he's going to miss the premier this year - he had so much fun last year.

Jon texted me the other day about how excited he was to have Frag back for a while and told me he'd be sending me pictures of the yard... he bought a farm house w/ horse pastures, fully fenced, just for Frag. So he'll have 3 acres to chuck it and play in, and I know he's going to have a blast with Jon while he's there.

I guess it's a good thing I'm getting two beagles and a mal to dog sit for a while to keep my mind off it. :(

Roomie and I are roadtripping to Texas and back in about a month- going very out of our way, both ways, to see people and states/sights. Hoping to coordinate to meet up with Jon in Kansas to see him for a little while on our way back.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Attempts to express dog anal glands - 1
Dog anal glands needing to be expressed - 0 apparently

Rig's been spending a concerning amount of time chewing her back end (no scooting thankfully). Figured she might have an issue.
Nope, apparently her compulsive behaviour has just taken on a new form.

Plus side, she was REALLY good about the whole thing. Though I could have done without the tail wagging :confused:

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
The want:

ETA: of course there is a swear word in the url. guh!

butbutbut, I iz ordering a custom piece from Karma, so can't swing it right now. The bittersweet!

Foster Man is apparently trying everything he can to stay with me.

Tested good with kids... and then on a home visit got a bit snarky with their child.

He's a bit nervous with new dogs but is okay if they're polite. Today on another home visit he decided to put their sweet, sweet little Border Collie in his mouth, unprovoked, and hold on.

Ass.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
****heads with their out of control loose dogs. No, my dog does not want to be best friends with your dog. I am trying to LEAVE! My dog is ducking terrified of loose dogs, and it's not just because I am scared of them too. If you can't control your **** dog, KEEP IT ON THE LEASH! Oh, you forgot to bring one? Eff you.

I was pretty much just holding Roxie in between my legs and by her collar, because this asshole is blocking my way any way I turn, following us with his GSD. And then the **** dog slips his collar.

I picked Roxie up, chucked treats at the dog, and ran home. I should have just done that sooner, but then the guy probably would have just followed us anyways.

I mean, I like GSDs, it was a really pretty dog and all, but still. Doesn't change the fact that neither I nor my dog enjoy loose dogs. And what is it with people like that who go deaf when you repeatedly tell them to get their dog under control because your dog doesn't like loose dogs? It's great that you think your dog and mine could be friends. But, you don't know my dog and I don't know your dog and this isn't a dog park, nor is it social hour.

I'm just so tired of crap like this happening, especially because I've spent sooo much time on Roxie's reactivity. We actually were working a bit before all this on having her focus on me, since someone close by (100ft away) was walking their dog, and Roxie was doing SO well. Slightly distracted, but intent on me and her ball.

Paige

Let it be
Dogs under zero control are party poopers for all of us with common sense to call our dogs off or leash them if they do not listen

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Dogs under zero control are party poopers for all of us with common sense to call our dogs off or leash them if they do not listen
It's not just that, it's the owners that FOLLOW someone who is obviously scared (I've started shaking uncontrollably when I see a loose dog, I can't help it) of the loose dog, who is trying to keep their reactive dog under control, and that person keeps trying to persuade me that our dogs need to be friends.

Granted, this is only the third person I've run into who is that much of a disaster, but still. I don't want to be scared of any dog, I don't want my dog to take any further steps back in her training, and while most people are not hat bad, every time a loose dog runs up on us just makes that road longer. For every positive interaction Roxie has with other dogs, 20 more are negative.

I have made loads of progress with Roxie, but it's a goal for me to get her to keep walking and not freeze when she sees another dog. It's such a small thing, but days like today make me feel like its never gonna happen because so many people are complete jerks in my town.

Members online

No members online now.