Could this be related?

Kirbysmom

My almost 5-month old labradoodle has been doing great with his house-training.

We got him at 3 months, we've had some accidents, but he's been going to the garage door to be let out consistently for almost 3 solid weeks.

We were crating him when we leave the house, 4 hours max, and he can usually hold it until we let him out after we get home, but has had accidents in his crate.

We went to an event recently and had to leave him for 6 hours. We didn't want to crate him for that duration, so we put him in the kids' bathroom with a pee pee pad. He did great. Went on the pee pee pad twice.

So, thereafter, rather than crating him when we leave we've been leaving him in the bathroom with the pee pee pad and water. Sometimes he tears up the pad, sometimes not, but either way, he goes on the pee pee pad.

Well, he has started peeing all over the house since we stopped crating him during our absence. We are right in the kitchen where the garage door is and he will squat right in front of us and pee on the kitchen floor! Also, on the floor cushions and next to my computer desk. It's like he wants to pee in plain sight! He does it right in front of us, with no attempts to hide.

He will do this even after he's gone to the garage and relieved himself less than 1 hour prior.

Can his free-for-all pee be related to our cessation of crating?

DH thinks we should limit his water intake - he currently has open access to water.

Thoughts?

adojrts

Yep, you've taught him to 'go' inside, he now thinks it is ok to go in the house, once that has started it can be hell to fix and often takes much longer to house train them.

Good luck
Lynn

showpug

^^^ I agree. Start crating him again. AND, I would also recommend you take him to the vet to rule out a urinary tract infection. It sounds like he could have one which would make it next to impossible for him not to have accidents in the house.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I personally would never limit my dogs' water intake. I definitely agree, he needs to be crated again.

bubbatd

Poor boy really doesn't know where to go !! Kennel , garage , pee pads etc . When does " outside " come in!!??

Barb04

Super Moderator
Sounds like he is getting confused as to where to pee. He's probably thinking that since you keep chaning the rooms he goes in, he can go anywhere. I'd start the crate again and then make where he goes to the bathroom more consistent. Are you training him to go outside to potty?

adojrts

I personally would never limit my dogs' water intake. I definitely agree, he needs to be crated again.
Lizmo;
I have limited water intake when house training puppies, but having said that, it doesn't mean you limit 24/7. When the pup can be supervised for long periods of time, they have free access to fresh water. But when crated I limit the amount they will drink during that time. Also at night when crated, no water after 9 pm. Personally I don't think it is fair to put a lot of water in a crate with the dog and leave it with a full bladder while no one is there to take them out.

Lynn

Kirbysmom

Thank you for your responses. They confirm my fear that he thinks he can pee anywhere now. Argh! And, he was doing SO well. I just felt terrible about leaving him in his crate for 6 hours.

Sounds like he is getting confused as to where to pee. He's probably thinking that since you keep chaning the rooms he goes in, he can go anywhere. I'd start the crate again and then make where he goes to the bathroom more consistent. Are you training him to go outside to potty?
No, we will never train him to go outside. He will continue to use his pee pee pad (which is in a box) that is in the garage.

adojrts

Thank you for your responses. They confirm my fear that he thinks he can pee anywhere now. Argh! And, he was doing SO well. I just felt terrible about leaving him in his crate for 6 hours.

No, we will never train him to go outside. He will continue to use his pee pee pad (which is in a box) that is in the garage.
6 hours isn't too long not by any means, my dogs (including pups) often have to be crated for 8 hours. They are fine. Crate training if done correctly is often a place that the dogs seek to be. My dogs are allowed up on the sofa and they sleep in our beds at night. It isn't unusal to find a dog sound asleep in a crate or two of them in there together sleeping.

Why do you have those pads in a box in the garage??? Can't you take him outside 'every' time he needs to go out and stay with him?

Kirbysmom

Why do you have those pads in a box in the garage??? Can't you take him outside 'every' time he needs to go out and stay with him?
The way our property is laid out, it doesn't make sense to make him go outside.

What's wrong with having him eliminate in the garage on a pad? I know families who designate a place for their dog to inside the home with no problems.

We also did this when we lived in an apartment (different dog).

amccarty04

Just seems like more of a hassle. And does he ever get to go outside to play? Seems wrong to shut up a dog in a house all day!

Kirbysmom

Just seems like more of a hassle. And does he ever get to go outside to play? Seems wrong to shut up a dog in a house all day!
Nope. Easier this way. It's a long walk to our front lawn because of the long driveway and we have no other patch of grass.

He gets 2 walks per day. I can't wait to take him on my runs.

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
Does he potty on the walks?

You want to make sure that your dog is willing to potty on any surface. I assume at some point you might want to go visit someone and take him with you...they may not want potty pads in their garage...or like me...they may not have a garage!!!

Kirbysmom

Does he potty on the walks?

You want to make sure that your dog is willing to potty on any surface. I assume at some point you might want to go visit someone and take him with you...they may not want potty pads in their garage...or like me...they may not have a garage!!!
Yes! I heard that people have had problems. He pees on grass, too. He pretty much pees on command.

Members online