friendly rottweiler??

Doberluv

The obedience practice is in itself a good way to promote that leadership. Also, just day to day, if your dog is pushy to have something his way, you can't be reacting to him all the time. Say, he nudges you constantly for a pat. If you react every time and look at him, speak to him, pat him, it's like he's telling you what to do and you're doing it. You don't have to carry it to extremes, but just not every single whine or look or other demand, do you have to respond to. Have him earn some of the things he wants, by asking for a sit or down, stay or come.

As far as him blowing you off when you ask him to come, don't give any command that you can't enforce. First get him to come by enticing him with fun noises, running the other way and if he comes, wait till he's almost to you, obviously coming and then say the word, "come." Not before. Or keep him on a long line so you can help him to come when you ask.

When you take a walk, you let him know that you'll be the one to give permission for him to sniff or pee on something. He doesn't choose. You do. Don't let him forge ahead of you. Make random turns if he does to prevent that. He should stay along side or a tad behind you.

But it's good for him to have some free time to do those fun things too. So, the whole walk doesn't have to be regimented. He needs to have some fun and exercise too. Is there a place where he can go off leash safely where he can run and pee and sniff till his hearts content? You can do both but YOU decide which kind of walk it will be and when. Reward him when he complies. You can entice him and distract him away from things he wants to sniff ("Let's go") ...keep on walking, but reward him when he comes along.

Basically a good leader is in control of his emotions.... and kind, teaches the dog to follow rules and boundaries...is consistant so he can learn. Be confident and stand tall. Enforce your commands in a firm but gentle way. Reward for compliance. That way he learns that you are trustworthy and the one who will take care of him. You make decisions and direct the dog, not that he is giving you directions and you are reacting to them....at least not all of them. LOL.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I agrantee you that no matter how friendly to pup is now, if in 12 months you were atacked s/he would come to your aid.

Sounds like you have an ideal rottie

Doberluv

You're welcome Fearless. You'll have a great dog. I don't know that it can be guaranteed that your dog will never back down if someone were attacking you. He most likely will bark his head off when someone comes to the door. You'll have to teach him to stop when you ask though. He needs to learn that you will determine if the person at the door is a threat or not. Most of the time it's the UPS man or a neighbor. He needs to stop when you say. If it were an actual threat or attack, he will disobey your telling him to stop and will protect you....that is if he develops that way. Some will back down and some won't. You never know for sure unless it happens or unless he has proper Schutzhund training. It's like Dobermans. Their temperaments vary. Some will follow through and never back down (that's what they're suppose to be like) but they're not all like that in actuality. But, just the fact that you have a Rottweiler and the fact that I have a Doberman is normally more than enough to deter a criminal. They bark fiercely and they have reputations.

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
filarotten said:
...the same as my neighbor, who feels I should be beating my Fila...
:eek: :eek: :eek:

What on earth is the matter with your neighbour??? Now there's a person who's a prime candidate for getting mauled by any poor unfortunate creature he happens to ever own. I hope he has no pets now, what a total moron.

Members online

No members online now.