What Should be Done Here?

StillandSilent

I'm in a bit of a quandry. A friend adopted a lab/shepard mix 7 months ago. Shamrock is three years old and had never been in a house before. Once she got him, he housebroke quickly, loves the kids and cat and she claims he is one of the best dogs she has ever owned.
The issue is, he hates being indoors. When he is inside, he whines to go out. The yard is over an acre fenced. He has to be called in, he never whines to come back in. Given his druthers, he'd stay outside all day and night and be perfectly happy.
She feels like she is denying him the life he truely wants. She is more than willing to build him a great doghouse and provide anything he would need to be a happy outdoor pet. Having met Shamrock on several occasions, he does seem to be much happier out in the yard.
The problem is, he was adopted from a humane society that does not allow outdoor dogs. She signed a contract saying he would be inside, because that is where she planned on keeping him. She is worried that she would be breaking the law by putting him outside, or that the shelter will try and reclaim him.
What is the best thing for her to do? Shamrock is very loved by this family, and loves them greatly in return. He is provided good food and all the exercise he needs (He runs 3 miles morning and night, plays fetch and games with the children and is starting on noncompetative agility) so he is not understimulated. He is just a dog who is happiest rolling in the grass.

bubbatd

I would say that the HS should be happy that he is happy ! My feelings would be hurt if my dogs had ever been happier outside . I would feed him ONLY inside ....this might help .

Maxy24

I would get a dog door, that way she is not MAKING him live outside. I'd say keep him in at night and get a dog door that is able to be locked or even better put the dog door between two doors so she can keep him in at night and other things out. I would work on trying to get him to at least be comfortable inside, play a lot inside, feed inside, have cuddle time inside and have him spend some amount of time inside each day. I would be sad to have a dog that preferred outside, but if that's what makes him happy, and she can provide it, then it's best.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Some dogs just take longer to adjust... the sounds, sights, and smells of houses that seem normal to us can be terrifying for a dog who has never experienced them.

Has Shamrock been crate trained? I would start with that, first of all. His crate should be made a super-duper positive place. He should be fed in it, given chewies in it, given stuffed kongs in it, etc. He should at least be sleeping indoors, and the crate can provide him a comfortable place to sleep.

She should never, ever let him outside while he's whining (as long as he doesn't need to potty). He should go outside and inside on HER terms, to stop the constant whining.

I would slowly increase the amount of time that Shamrock spends inside of the house, and make every experience inside a positive one. Maybe even call a behaviorist, to really assess what is going on, and give them tips on integrating him into "inside" life.

Maxy24

I forgot to ask, does she have kids that may be a bit too much for him right now (aka small children)? It may just be stressful inside. Do they have a spare bedroom that they can make the "doggy room" where the dog can go and no kids are allowed so if he needs to get away he can still do it inside? A place with a bed, water, toys, and an open window so he can go relax somewhere inside? It could be one reason he wants to be out, too hectic inside.

Members online