Ella's Lead collars?

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Well, to be fair, most of the time, the owner of a company being reviewed is not a member of the forum where said review is taking place and don't get to defend their products. If someone posts "I really hate Hartz"for example, no one says "that's not nice, the manufacturer isn't here to defend their products". There will ALWAYS be good and bad reviews for any company..it's just part of having a business.
Sorry to double post, but yes, this. If suddenly we can't post bad reviews on companies because they aren't here to defend themselves... what's the point of asking for reviews?

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Well, to be fair, most of the time, the owner of a company being reviewed is not a member of the forum where said review is taking place and don't get to defend their products. If someone posts "I really hate Hartz"for example, no one says "that's not nice, the manufacturer isn't here to defend their products". There will ALWAYS be good and bad reviews for any company..it's just part of having a business.
Truth.

Sally has a plain Weaver leather collar. Jack has a Remington water proof in a lovely shade of "Don't Shoot Me" orange and a leather collar I got at a dog show a couple of years ago decorated with parts of two 12 gauge shot gun shells and "built in" ID tag.

They're all great collars and if I want to dress them up I slap on a bandana on the dog in question--No fuss, no muss, no drama ;)

Honestly though, I've never been into the collar thing much. As long as they durable, can stand up to the dynamic doggy duo while still being comfortable, and are not butt ugly I'm a happy camper.

ETA: Though I don't buy Paco or EL type collars, I would give EL a shot if I were in the market for one. I like their designs better than Paco in general, and I know Becca from a a different dog board and got a very good trainer recommendation from her for Sally's dog issues. BTW, I only mention Paco and EL together because they are the only leather collar companies whose collars I've looked into.

That having been said, I don't discount Jessie's or anyone else's bad experience with EL, nor to I chalk it up to some sort of elaborate subversive plot to smear the company. Stuff like this happens. For example, we are having our roof done this year. We went on Angie's list and called some of the top rated roofers in our area. We had bad experiences with 2 of them. At the time I was very ticked about it, because they had acted unprofessionally and wasted our time. I'm not angry about it now, but you can bet that if someone asks me my opinion about these companies they will get an earful about our negative experience. Lots of people had good experiences with them, but we did not. This does not mean that we imagined the issues that we had with them or have some sort of personal beef with the company, it just means that in our case they acted poorly.

Last edited:

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Thanks for the opinions and experiences, everyone. :) I've decided not to purchase from them.
FWIW, the negative reviews I've seen of EL collars, have been small collars. For whatever reason (possibly just because of size, or different leather, or something), people with larger dogs don't tend to have the same issues.

Which, I know, isn't helpful since you have a small dog. But may be worth it to visit again in the future if you get a larger dog, if you're interested.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
At the collar class the small dog collars were WAY harder to make. Tiny rivets that slip and twist in your hands, cramped designs, etc. I now respect small collar much more and I'm almost shocked they aren't more expensive even if it is less material.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
At the collar class the small dog collars were WAY harder to make. Tiny rivets that slip and twist in your hands, cramped designs, etc. I now respect small collar much more and I'm almost shocked they aren't more expensive even if it is less material.
I'd believe it! The conchos on the collar that was sent for Rascal (Paco collar) also had issues with the chonchos coming loose with minimal wear (it was only used as a bracelet), and when I emailed, it seemed to be a fairly common problem, as well.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
FWIW, the negative reviews I've seen of EL collars, have been small collars. For whatever reason (possibly just because of size, or different leather, or something), people with larger dogs don't tend to have the same issues.

Which, I know, isn't helpful since you have a small dog. But may be worth it to visit again in the future if you get a larger dog, if you're interested.
I've noticed this as well with EL based on reviews and opinions of products. Food for thought I guess! What Adrienne said is interesting too. Makes sense to me, smaller collars seem like they'd be way more difficult.

I love my EL rope leads, use them all the time, very worth what I paid and would happily order a lead from them again. Not much I can say about the collars personally. I have noticed throughout this thread that the people taking the opinions to heart are all people who are friends personally with Becca and Ben, and I think that's heavily affecting how they feel about the opinions presented. Some of the opinions are very harsh, yes, but people are allowed to have harsh opinions about a company. There's a lot of positive opinions about EL here, too. :)

At the end of the day,the OP has made up her mind and whatever we say,won't change anything.

Now,if people are dissatisfied,they should say so but if the others are happy,you should also know,about it.Neither are wrong and a good company should expect that and not lower herself,to be verbally abusive cos some clients are unhappy.Their job is to make them happy so that they will come back.The client makes or breaks,a brand and once,it has a bad rep,it's tough to change it.

BTW,I have some crappy Petsmart leather collars and they work just as well as a PC or EL collar without the hurrendous price tag of the other 2 so wouldn't spit,on them but they are plain.

These are the one,I use when they go swimming and never had a problem.

I did read Dana's letter before buying the EL tag collar but as I had a gift card,for that amount,I got it and I dont regret it.
I,even,got a 2nd one so can't be that bad.

Price does not always indicate quality but consumer service does and PC has,always,been amazing,with me.

I make plain leather leashes and choke collars so yes,you could say,I copied them.

I'm kind of confused why this thread is any different than the MDM tag thread a few days back. I mean, they're just honest reviews and experiences with a company, their product and their service. This thread (like most EL threads) seems to have gotten extremely personal.

Some people like the product, some don't.
Some people have had extremely good experience with the company, so didn't.

There ya go.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I'm kind of confused why this thread is any different than the MDM tag thread a few days back. I mean, they're just honest reviews and experiences with a company, their product and their service. This thread (like most EL threads) seems to have gotten extremely personal.

Some people like the product, some don't.
Some people have had extremely good experience with the company, so didn't.

There ya go.
I think that because Becca was a well liked poster here before and now has chosen to no longer post due to some collar drama people are getting their feathers extra ruffled. However, that does not mean that they are right to react that way-people should be able to get honest opinions about a collar company (or any company) without it being a drama fest every time.

kady05

Well, regardless of the other opinions, we love our EL collars here. Everyone in theirs awhile back:

FWIW, they swim in them too and none have ever bled. I have a vegan one that I mainly use for swimming and it still looks great.

GipsyQueen

I actually kind of thought this thread wouldn't blow up. Silly me.

I have 3 collars from EL. Two I'm kind of meh on, but the rainbow tag collar we have gets a ton of use. I have no problem with their products, quality wise. However, I saw the deleted thread and I can't buy anything from people that act like that. I was also friends with Becca on FB and a lot of things on there also made me uncomfortable. I seriously doubt that I'll ever order from them again.

And I make it a point not to get to know the people that run the companies I want stuff from now. :lol-sign:
Me too. When I looked the other day, everyone was civil. And I went, huh? has chaz grown up? I was confused. But now I am reassured that chaz has not grown up. :D

I love the way EL collars look and would order one if I didn't have to pay costums on it. I love the way paco collars look too, but I just can't justify buying one for over $100.

Cardiparty

Many moons ago I was on a different forum under a different name and the people who ran Ella's lead were a part of that forum.

I remember when Ella died so very suddenly from cancer. It was awful. She was such a lovely pitty and you could tell rthat she was just absolutely adored in every way.

I'm really happy to see that their business is thriving as such.

I have an Ella's lead collar and I recently saw a post from another Cardigan owner on Facebook who purchased one.

I really love my collar. I only use it for special occasions because it's so darn pretty.

I don't have knowledge of the every-day use ones, but the one I bought for Miz Naughty has lasted through several years.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Victor has been wearing his not only as a public collar but every day too for I believe over 5 years now. IT looks every bit as good as it did when it came. I do clean the surface with a neutral oil once in a while. Hyia was made a bracelet just about as long ago. She treasures it, and wears it all the time, and to every dance. IT too, has held up well and looks as good as it did when it came. SHe is not good at hanign on to things, but that bracelet means the world to her. It really looks awesome on her. Normally I avoid collar threads because they just give me a headache, but I will say that ours are the nicest my dogs have ever had and probably ever will.
I hope one day to be able to get Neccy one. She deserves to have a beauty like Victor and Pepper. I have my fingers crossed for the orange colored leather and purple accents. That seems befitting for an old dear brindle.

I love the way EL collars look and would order one if I didn't have to pay costums on it. I love the way paco collars look too, but I just can't justify buying one for over $100.
I live in France & dont pay customs.
Germany shouldn't be too different.
In postage:pC is about 25 $ while EL is about 9,50 $.
You can get great deals through PC'sample sales and through PCANSA(FK).
Just shop & wait for the good deals,to come up cos they are some!.

GipsyQueen

I live in France & dont pay customs.
Germany shouldn't be too different.
In postage:pC is about 25 $ while EL is about 9,50 $.
You can get great deals through PC'sample sales and through PCANSA(FK).
Just shop & wait for the good deals,to come up cos they are some!.
Really? Do the package it as a gift? We have to pay 19% (salestax) on top of whatever we order if the price is more than 22,50€ (incl. shipping) :'(
Anything over 150€ you have to pay extra.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Really? Do the package it as a gift? We have to pay 19% (salestax) on top of whatever we order if the price is more than 22,50€ (incl. shipping) :'(
Anything over 150€ you have to pay extra.
I don't think they would, because it's illegal for them to do that as a business.

You could always have it shipped to somebody in NA, and have them ship it to you as a gift?

kady05

Zhucca

Lab Love
I don't understand how people can rationalize being so disrespectful towards Jessie in the name of supposedly defending cheweccas honour. I saw all the threads and neither Ben or Becca behaved angelicaly. I'm sure hat they are very nice people otherwise, an I enjoyed them as posters, but they don't really deserve to be put on a pedestal, IMHO. Not like they are on Chaz.

I had bought a collar a a lead from them, and I was unhappy with both. Te collar itself lasted about 1 week in good condition before it succumbed to searches, dents, immediate discolouration from getting wet; and like others had stated: bleeding onto my dog. The lead material itself was great, very soft and strong. However, the plastic I requested to cover te metal clip was just plain ba workmanship. I could see the glue, it was very unevenly cut. Just not he polished look I expected from pictures! I bought my things around the same time he drama happened, so I never asked for a return. But I really wish I had, every company makes mistakes. C'est la vie!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
What does the vegan one feel like? Leather? Biothane?
Vegan feels alot like a very worn in leather. However, it does stretch alot when the dog pulls, so you have to watch that.

I had an EL vegan, but sold it when I realized leather could do everything the vegan could. I don't see a reason to spend $50 on vegan when for a little more I could get a bang-up, lifetime guaranteed leather collar.

Members online

No members online now.