Bula's attitude has changed...

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
Okay, everytime I take Bula outside, there are always kids out there playing. She has never had a problem with them petting her. As a matter of fact, she loves the attention. But, now when the kids come to pet her, she will just sit there and shake like she is scared. She will have her tail tucked between her legs and won't move. Usually, she's licking the kids and wagging her tail. Now let me infasize, she IS NOT showing any kind of aggession, she's just scared. Do you know why she would just have a sudden change of demeanor?

is it possible that one of the kids may have hurt her (accidental or otherwise)...I've noticed that certain dogs learn very quickly about who to be afraid of....and if one of the kids stepped on her tail, etc...she might feel afraid when they come running up to her.

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
It's not just kids. I took her outside last night, and there were two grown men outside and they wanted to pet her, but she wouldn't get anywhere near them. I've never seen anyone hurt Bula, and she is always at my side when other people are around.

iky

Maybe someone esle has hurt her, accidental or otherwise, as Quincy Wisdon said, and Serena. Maybe she got hurt somehow and is just a little nervous, you tried letting the kids sit with her and talk to her and just gently pet her?

I hope she comes right, I am sure the kids didnt meant to hurt her or scare her in any way at all.

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
Well, I sat down in the grass and had Bula on her leash. Bula sat in my lap, and the kids didn't run up to her real fast or anything, they just walked up there and asked me if they could pet her. The only time Bula has ever been around other people without me being there was a few months ago when she ran off. She was gone for 3 days. But like I said, that was a few months ago. I don't know what is wrong.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Along with the above suggestions that someone could have hurt her, what about a general negative experience with people? Loud kids, being "pat-pat-patted" on the head, men towering over her?

pitbulliest

IF it is a sudden change, it could mean that there is physically something wrong with the dog..Not all the time, but sometimes.. maybe something as small as having a sliver stuck in her paw or something as big as a broken tail (heaven forbid)...but if you notice she keeps acting weird I would check it out with a vet... have him/her do a physical exam on your pup...

Also, if you notice she's really scared..don't force her to deal with those kids or other people she's afraid of since this could (again it depends on the dog) lead her to become aggressive. If a dog is really scared and they feel like they've got no way out, they're going to react by trying to defend themselves in the only ways they know how.

Pitbulliest covered it. Since she's always with you when she's outside, that pretty much rules out someone doing something to her. If she were outside in the fenced area while you're not with her I'd say someone has been tormenting her over or through the fence, possibly even someone like a meter reader, maybe even spraying her with mace or pepper spray.

That's the only explanation I can think of. It speaks volumes of her disposition that she's not reacting aggressively, but as Pitbulliest said, that's always a possibility when a dog feels cornered and threatened, and it's a probability if she decides you're being threatened!

Whatever you do, don't encourage anyone to give her treats. If someone has done something to her through the fence, you don't want to accustom her to taking food from anyone else. You never know what goes through some people's minds! It's really a good idea to teach her to bring anything she wants to eat to you to check first. If you don't know where it came from, substitute a treat.

Keep us posted!

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
Bula just started acting scared of other people. The only thing I can think of, is the kids next door to my sisters house. On the weekends I take Bula and Dixie to her house and let them play with Harley and Mars in the back yard. That is the only time she is away from me. I hate to say this, but those kids next door are brats!!!! My sister said that they had teased Harley before through the fence. I bet that's what happened. But you just wait, I am going to spy on those little brats this weekend, and they better not be teasing my dogs. (I don't like these little boys. They are mean. One of them punched my 6 year old nephew in the eye)

pitbulliest

You should definately keep your dog away from kids like that..and the parents should be told that they need to start disciplining their ANIMALS... :mad:

RD

Are you dead yet?
tl_ashmore... I have a neighbor kid who used to tease, torment & throw rocks at my Shiner dog... Shiner however was only aggressive with HIM, but your dog probably associates all strangers with that... Spy on the little brats once in a while and see what they do.. Then scare the daylights out of 'em by walking out and yelling "WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?"

It worked for me and the little kid who tortured Shiner... Good luck!

A camera or camcorder might be a handy thing to have. I don't know how it's handled there, but here I can report that kind of thing to animal control. It doesn't do a lot to stop it, but it creates a paper trail so that if something does happen, there's evidence that the dog is not at fault.

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
I didn't catch those kids doing anything to the dogs this weekend, but I was watching Bula with my 6 year old nephew, Nathan. I had Bula out in the yard at my sisters house with her "sisters". Any time me or my sister would go outside, Bula would jump on us constantly, but as soon as Nathan walked outside, Bula would run over to him, and sit right there at his feet. She wouldn't jump on him or anything. She does anything he tells her to do. He would tell her to sit, and she would do it. If Bula started playing rough with Dixie or one of the other dogs, Nathan would tell her to behave, and she would go sit down by him. She listens to him better than she listens to me. Even if I take her outside on her leash, she pulls me all the time, but Nathan took her out Friday, and she stayed right by his side. I don't understand why she is so scared of some kids, and just absolutley loves Nathan and does whatever he says.

She knows Nathan and he's 'hers.' Dogs know who belongs and who doesn't, and who loves them and who doesn't. She also knows that Nathan's small and she has to be gentle around him and mind him. Bula's just a smart girl.

Members online