Rescue?

Even though I will still continue to look for a pup, if the right dog comes along, I will defintely consider adopting. Can someone tell me a little about what to expect from an adopted dog?

Y

yuckaduck

It all depends on the dog. Some are perfect loving adults already trained just looking for someone to love and of course to be loved. Some have issues which can range from not house trained, heartworm positive, other health problems, behavioural problems. Not socialized, not leash trained, not good with other dogs, not good with kids, afraid of men, afraid of women.

It all depends on what you get but if it has been in a foster home then usually the foster home can share everything about the dog with you. What I have rescued is simpley a dog who needs a loving home because the owners have divorced and neither one wants the other one to have the dog. So either I take her or she is destroyed. SHe has no issues, no behavioural problems, nothing.

Fran27

It totally depends on the past of the dog. If you go through a rescue they will probably be able to tell you what to expect.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
To repeat once more: It all depends on the dog. My first rescue was afraid of men, wasn't housebroken or leash trained, didn't have any use for most other dogs (she loved our neighbor's puppy though) had never seen stairs or tile before and was terrified of loud noises and stern looks but was the sweetest, most gentle dog you could ask for. She tolorated my six-month old cousin crawling all over her and yanking on her ears.

My current two rescues, Sawyer and Aubrey (I need to change the sig name), are great dogs. Sawyer had no problems or issues from being a stray, he wasn't trained at all but picked it all up extremely quickly and is the best dog I could hope for. Aubrey has some leash issues but she was easy to housetrain and is a very sweet dog as well. We've only had her a couple of weeks, so it's still pretty early.

And remember, just because you buy from a breeder doesn't guarantee a bomb-proof dog. You may have better overall health odds, but not always, and sometimes it's better for your first dog to be a young adult that needs a new home because it's former loving owners are moving and can't take it with them. I've also heard that dogs that are a little older tend to bond quicker and harder.

Yeah, I was on one of those Pet finder websites today. They were talking about each different dog. About some like kids, how some don't, about how some can stay with cats, but some won't. I have a cat, so that's important. I just generally wanted to know wether they bond with you well?

Y

yuckaduck

Rescues bond well just like a puppy in most cases. Usually they are so happy to have a loving family that they glue themselves to you. Mine always have done that and they have bonded better then Yukon so far and we got him as a pup.

Y

yuckaduck

Mikey27X834 said:
Well I've got plenty of loving and time to give. I already have a 9 year old cat who I adore, but he just sleeps all the time. :(

I cannot see why a rescue would be any problem then. Just make sure to tell them that you have a cat and may get a puppy at sometime. That way they can make sure it is good with cats and good with other dogs. If you ahve kids tell how old they are so that they can be sure the dog will be ok with them too.

I don't have kids, and I live with my parents because I'm disabled by anxiety. There's just the 3 of us and our cat. Hopefully they'll let me have one. :)

Y

yuckaduck

Mikey27X834 said:
I don't have kids, and I live with my parents because I'm disabled by anxiety. There's just the 3 of us and our cat. Hopefully they'll let me have one. :)

Good luck and let us know how it goes. You sound like a perfect candidate to me.

Members online

No members online now.