Do They Need These 2nd Vacinations?

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
de worming medications are toxic. Yes in small doses they are not harmful, but not likely good, I do have concerns for long term use, so only use them when the risks are high.
As I said before anything in a large enough dose is toxic. You can OD on Benadryl, one of the safest drugs out there, if you take enough of it.

Define a small dose? 1 cc? 12 cc? 30 cc? And what types have you heard are toxic? Strongid? Panacur? OTC/Generic brands? Pyrantel?

GO, I think the point BP is making is that if you titer test you know the dogs immunity to the disease. If needed, then go ahead.
And the point I'm making is that titer tests are not infallible. They only work if your dog is being actively exposed to the disease (producing IgG from memory cells) and fighting it off. It's not going to work for a puppy and the results would be skewed due to it still having its mother's antibodies.

And I am sure there are far more in vaccines that would be considered poisonous such as preservatives, etc.
Such as? They've taken mercury out, which wasn't that big of a deal anyways (I posted the math elsewhere concerning the toxic thresholds, half-life (time to degredation), and amounts one would be inundated with. You can search for it if you're interested). I'd much rather take the risk of one of the preservatives - which can be metabolized and excreted or simply degrade in the system - harming my dog than the dog getting the disease that would have else wise been prevented.

R

RedyreRottweilers

My main concern with serial vaccination is the bovine component present in canine vaccines.

The Purdue study http://www.doglogic.com/purduevaccinestudy.htm indicated that serially vaccinated dogs develop auto immune antibodies after vaccination.

Vaccines, ESPECIALLY repeated vaccines, are certainly a factor in auto immune diseases in dogs.

Certain vaccines I find absolutely necessary. I do, however, use as little as I feel is safe for my own dogs.

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
The Purdue study http://www.doglogic.com/purduevaccinestudy.htm indicated that serially vaccinated dogs develop auto immune antibodies after vaccination.
No that's not what it says. It says that the antibodies that the dog produces in response to the bovine proteins MAY cross-react with the dog's own cells and produce an autoimmune response. Meaning the potential is there, but they haven't proved anything. You can theorize anything you want but it doesn't make it so. It does not say that the dogs do develop autoimmune antibodies, just that the potential is there, which isn't surprising given that your body develops autoimmune antibodies every day. Dog's do too, bovine proteins or not. But the cells with such autoimmunity never develop fully and are done away with via apoptosis.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the study over the Beagle's life span (so far, nothing) but so far it's inconclusive and they're just theorizing on ways it could happen. And it may happen. An antibody may cross-react from the bovine antibodies to attack the dogs skin cells but that doesn't mean the body will let it get any further beyond the initial AB developing. When it's tested it will fail the recognition test and the antibody will be destroyed. It happens every day in your body, my body, your dogs body, and any other animal with an immune system.

The chance is present, but there's a chance for any given condition to happen. The question is how big of a chance? I'd wager it's not very much.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I am all for limited vaccinations for adult dogs.

But, with puppies... I would NOT skimp, on anything. Parvo especially. The shots they are getting now are setting up a defense for the rest of their lives, and saving some money is not worth endangering the puppies lives.

Heartworm preventative is extremely important, especially in such a high-risk area. I have heard nothing positive about the annual heartworm shots that have been tested in the past. Go for the preventative, and charge their new owners a little extra, if you need to.

Dekka

Just try me..
As I said before anything in a large enough dose is toxic. You can OD on Benadryl, one of the safest drugs out there, if you take enough of it.

Define a small dose? 1 cc? 12 cc? 30 cc? And what types have you heard are toxic? Strongid? Panacur? OTC/Generic brands? Pyrantel?
I know its the dose that makes the poison. Heck water is deadly if you overdose. Small dose depends on the size of the dog, the medication, the way the dog metabolizes the substance.

The fact is that I am not comfortable adding things into my dog with out good reason. I do vaccinate against things if the vaccine is proven to be very reliable at preventing the disease. I do notice you did not comment on the west nile vaccine in horses. I did say I was on the fence with vaccines, and I am so don't try to make it out like I am saying they are all bad. I am just saying that people should be cautious, its not risk free.

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
I do notice you did not comment on the west nile vaccine in horses.
What was I supposed to comment on it about?

The fact is that I am not comfortable adding things into my dog with out good reason.
Yah but you don't randomly de-worm your dog. You deworm them when they get worms. That's a pretty good reason.

All of my dogs have gotten vaccinations at 6 weeks of age (only 3 of them, and then rabies)...And then thats it, they don't get yearly vaccinations and they are all healthy dogs. (Oldest being 12, and is the healthiest most athletic dog i have ever met).

Bradley (Dachshund mix) is allergic to vaccinations. He goes into shock, and has seizures if he is given one.

Dekka

Just try me..
GO the advantage is something you give monthly that prevents parasites, not something you give afterwards. It also does heart worm prevention.

Members online

No members online now.