Preventing 'swimmers tail' in dogs

AgilityKrazii

Addicted to Agility
About a week and a half ago I took my lab swimming and I started his dock diving training, he did awesome and had a blast, fetching his toy in the water and jumping off the low dock, well after we went back home I noticed he had gotten what some people call 'swimmers tail' also known as cold or limp tail. It took a week for it to be totally back to normal, it has happened before but was better in 2 days.

He loves to swim and now I'm worried whenever I take him dock diving or swimming that this will happen to his poor tail, is there anyway I can prevent this, like ways to strenghten his tail?

Thanks!!

My advice is to keep him from overdoing it. Also, make sure he isn't swimming in cold water and getting too hot. I think the temperature change from cold to hot makes swimmers tail worse. If it's been awhile since my girls swam and I think they have overdone it, I will give them a dose os aspirin or rimadyl shortly after swimming.

lizzybeth727

Aww, I hate swimmers tail! The poor dogs look so pittiful!

I agree, I think it's the cold water that makes it worse. I had a lab get it once, though, and he had not been swimming AND it wasn't particularly cold out. So I don't know if there's really a way to prevent it. Rimadyl did the trick for that dog, though, he was back to normal in about 12 hours.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Amazing. I have never seen such a thing and i have been around labs and pointers all my life.

Add me to the list of not knowing about this! I am glad I came across this just in case- with a retriever who's always in the water I will be on the lookout!

Well, all breeds can get it and not all labs will get it. My two ACD's are the only dogs I have ever seen with it. It is more common in dogs who swim, especially in cold water. So of course, that would qualify labs. :)

The first time my dog got it, I bathed her in cold water, but I blow dried her completely after the bath, I was freaked out the next day when she woke up with swimmer's tail.

Members online

No members online now.