Selling a puppy at 3 weeks?

I was browsing the newspaper a little while ago and came across a litter of husky puppies some people were selling that were only 3 weeks old! I assumed maybe they were just asking deposits or something, but I decided to be nosey and call them and ask. Some guy answered and I asked how old the puppies were and he said, "3 weeks, but were not letting them go until they are 4 weeks old, though we already sold some to people." I couldn't believe this. How irresponsible (excuse my spelling). Pft, people these days.

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
I would call your local HS. Here you may not sell a puppy until it is 8 weeks old...

Yeah, Im actually going to do that. I dont know if there's a law on it or anything over here, but its worth the try. Those poor babies being taken away from their mom so early.

YodelDogs

Some guy answered and I asked how old the puppies were and he said, "3 weeks, but were not letting them go until they are 4 weeks old, though we already sold some to people."
Are you sure he didn't say they were letting them go *in* 4 weeks? Otherwise, I agree with the poster who said to contact the humane society.

No, he definetly said when they are 4 weeks. He already let a few of them go already. I believe he said he only has 3 left. Im going to contact my HS tomorrow.

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
Uhh, in VA or just in your town?
In our county and I remember hearing on the news other counties must have it too. The state law is 7 weeks.
"
§ 3.1-796.70. Sale, etc., of unweaned or certain immature animals prohibited, vaccinations required for dogs and cats; penalty

A. No person shall sell, raffle, give away, or offer for sale as pets or novelties, or offer or give as a prize, premium, or advertising device any living chicks, ducklings, or other fowl under two months old in quantities of less than six or any unweaned mammalian companion animal or any dog under the age of seven weeks without its dam, or any cat under the age of seven weeks without its queen. Dealers may offer immature fowl, unweaned mammalian companion animals, dogs or cats under the age of seven weeks for sale as pets or novelties with the requirement that prospective owners take possession of the animals only after fowl have reached two months of age, mammalian companion animals have been weaned, and dogs and cats are at least seven weeks of age. Nothing in this section shall prohibit the sale, gift, or transfer of an unweaned animal (i) as food for other animals, (ii) with the lactating dam or queen or a lactating surrogate dam or queen that has accepted the animal, (iii) due to a concern for the health or safety of the unweaned animal, or (iv) to animal control, an animal shelter, or a veterinarian.

B. Dealers shall provide all dogs and cats with current vaccinations against contagious and infectious diseases, as recommended in writing and considered appropriate for the animal's age and breed by a licensed veterinarian, or pursuant to written recommendations provided by the manufacturer of such vaccines at least five days before any new owner takes possession of the animal. For dogs, the vaccinations required by this subsection shall include at a minimum canine distemper, adenovirus type II parainfluenza, and parvovirus. For cats, the vaccinations required by this subsection shall include at a minimum rhinotracheitis, calicivirus, and panleukopenia. Dealers shall provide the new owner with the dog's or cat's immunization history.

C. A violation of this section is punishable as a Class 3 misdemeanor."
http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusvast3_1_796_66_89.htm#s3_1_796_796_70
The law seems a little confusing ( or I need more coffee this morning.) as far as a " gift"- however the HS will know how it is handled where the OP is. ( their state or county laws).

Lizmo

Water Junkie
You're right, 7 weeks isn't 8 weeks. What's your point?
She stated that pups were not allowed to be sold until 8 weeks in VA. I know for a fact this isn't true. If she's going to state something like this, I suggest she get her weeks correct.

Thats all :)

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
The state law is 7 weeks. Our county is 8 weeks. I know because when we get litters of pups at our HS the pups can not be placed until 8 weeks old and need a foster until then..

R

RedyreRottweilers

Your local humane society might have a POLICY of not placing puppies until 8 weeks, but I would bet it is NOT a law.

Mach1girl

In our previous county they could be placed when they are not reliant on their mother anymore for feeding. At three weeks, if weaned they could indeed be placed or sold. I know because I called when I saw a family selling 3 week old pups at Wal Mart and called on them. That is what they told me.

SmexyPibble

Blow. Me. Away.
Unfortunetly this happens a lot. The people who had Oliver's litter were giving the puppies up at four weeks and refused to let them go any later than that..

Who knows what would've happened if they weren't given away. They would have probably been dumped on the side of the road.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
In California, it is illegal to sell puppies before 8 weeks of age... it even SAYS IT, in big bold letters, in the pet classifieds of the newspaper... but there are still a plethora of ads for 5, 6, and 7 week old puppies. Even younger, sometimes.

How could anyone let a 4 week old puppy go? =( They are still so tiny and helpless at that age, and they need constant attention, care, and socialization. It's heart-breaking.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
She stated that pups were not allowed to be sold until 8 weeks in VA. I know for a fact this isn't true. If she's going to state something like this, I suggest she get her weeks correct.

Thats all :)
No need to be picky over one week. That is just silly.

Intoodeep

Your local humane society might have a POLICY of not placing puppies until 8 weeks, but I would bet it is NOT a law.
And the key word in the legal jargon is "dealer". If you are just a Joe Schmoe whose dog had puppies and arent licensed as a "dealer" just a regular Joe giving them away, then in theory arent you exempted from that law?

Somebody definately needs to educate the individual giving away the 4 week old puppies. He obviously has no clue....

Members online

No members online now.