Collie Behind The Ear Knots

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
I brush Tosca a few times a week but it just seems it's never enough for behind her ears. It's like those ear wads creep up on her really fast and almost spring up or something. It's almost like Hey where the heck did THAT come from? I untangle them the hard way before they get large, but she hates it even if they aren't that bad. I know that if I let one go, it will turn into a bigger knot in no time flat. Is there any safe product out there that eases ear tangles that I can use on her when she starts to get knotted?

That's weird. Why does she tangle so easily like that? I have never seen any tangles on Colt yet. I think people haven't responded because they're perplexed. Maybe a spray to wet it first, like a detangler - they must have them for dogs.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Collies are known for getting mats in certain areas, including behind the ears, if we are not vigilant. Tosca comes from a line with plenty of coat, as you can see by looking at her, so she can mat there easily. The problem is, it's the once place she hates me to fuss with, so I was just looking for an easier way for me to deal with it. She can begin to mat very easily there. Colt is very young still. His coat hasn't begun to fill out and he may not have lost his puppy fur yet. If it does fill out, you will be asking for a way to help avoid behind the ear mats. Incidentally, male collies usually have even fuller coats than females, or so I have read. Prepare ye....

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I have no ideas for you. We generally just try to keep on top with the ear mats by brushing A LOT. Sometimes you just have to cut them out or work on them for a while. Sorry I have no more advice, but shelties and collies get these mats so quickly sometimes. We comb through the papillon ear hair, but I've never tried it on the shelties. They have different kinds of coats, so I'm not sure that would help. If anyone has a solution, let me know as well.

Bumhouse, I'm sure you'll have your fair share of ear mats. Both my show line boy and my BYB sheltie get them equally as bad. Another place that tangles easily that you have to watch out for is around the bum. And Trey's leg feathering tangles some as well especially after being out in tall grass. Welcome to the perks of having a dog with a huge coat! LOL

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Thanks Rabbits.

Yes laurelin, I kind of figured it's going to be a lifetime knot battle. But she's still worth it. I also notice her arm pits need perptetual attention as well.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
i will actually brush out the collies at work with a flea comb on the ears under arms and around boy private parts.
that way i know they will not get any matts.

Love That Collie

Owned by 2 Rough Collies
My RB Collie, Timmie, had this problem but I noticed that a lot of people scratched/petted him behind the ears a lot, myself included, I stopped doing it so much and the mats stopped showing up much less. But I made sure that I combed there everyday. Bailey doesn't have this problem much, he's a late bloomer (22 months) and hasn't come into full coat yet. Sometimes it can take up to 3 or 4 years for them to get their best "wardrobe", but not often. Males usually have much heavier coats than the females but Chloe has an abundance of coat even at her age. Males will usually blow coat once a year and females sometimes twice.

Saje

Island dweller
Maverick gets these. His tail also seems to have different hair than the rest of his body and is more sensitive and more matted. :( I find brushing him out while wet, soapy and slippery in the shower is the easiest thing to do. I use comb. Or rake. Works very well even behind the ears. For him that hair is softer and fuzzier so no wonder it gets matted! I spritz him with a horse detangled as well - sho sheen. Seems to help!

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Thanks Saje. You know I might just get some detangler. I haven't yet had to cut a mat and I would see it as my own fault for not keeping on top of it. I know that's not true, but I still feel that way. It's just that those darned mats show up out of the sky or something! It's like HEY! Where did THAT come from?It's amazing. I have a rake, a slicker, a comb and regular finish brush for her. She's very good about being groomed but if she starts to mat she does NOT like me going at it. I tell you since I got her, I have a whole new view of the talents of dog groomers!

OMG - armpits:yikes:

I'm glad Colt's coat is taking it's time growing in. I suppose I haven't experienced any of this yet because his is not completely in. You can expect to hear from me in the future about this I suppose....

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Oh, Nikki gets the armpit issues too, I forgot about that. I may try horse detangler as well as brushing like crazy all the time.

dawgsmom

Hi,
I'm new to this forum, but I am a dog groomer. One thing I would suggest for Tosca is a rolled leather collar. The nylon collars cause static electricity and that helps create mats. One of the things we use in our grooming salon is called Unicoat. It is a leave in conditioner that we spray on while the dog is wet and it helps us comb out the mats. You can also use it when the hair is dry. By the way, Tosca is a beautiful dog. I love grooming collies.

:) :) Dawg's Mom

Members online

No members online now.