The importance of breeder/buyer communication?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I had one breeder respond to me 3 months after I sent in the email. And then it was clear they hadn't even read my email at all. Uh no thanks (besides I had Mia by then). I like that Mia's breeder answers emails usually pretty quickly. My initial contact was answered the next day. Other contacts I wait maybe a day or two. Once a week but that was odd. She's been very helpful sending me links to trainers when I lived not too far away and also replying to all my updates and answering questions about health concerns I've had.

Summer's breeder is not very technologically savvy so i just call.

Kilter

I had a heck of a time finding Kilt!

First breeder I talked to wasn't breeding anymore. That's all she said too, not 'I would contact...' or anything. Ok fine.

Next on the list didn't have anything coming up.

Then contacted a breeder I actually had met in person and liked her dogs. SIX months later she responded. She ended up not having a litter and I'm guessing her one girl she had to breed has issues.

She did refer me to another breeder who was a bit faster at responding, but then sorta faded. I contacted her a few months after she should have had the dog bred, she said she was going to pick up the dog from the stud dog's place. So fine, marked the calendar and waited, about a week after the pups were born emailed again and got 'three girls, not doing well' and a picture of three newborn pups. Um, ok. Still had no idea if one was mine or what the plan was, so just said 'when you have time, let me know if I'm on the list for one or if I should look elsewhere' and she got defensive, so just said fine, thanks.

Next breeder was pretty good but only had boys. I'm tossed on that one but just said I'd wait, timing wasn't good at the time anyway.

Then found Kilt's breeder had a litter coming up that looked quite nice and what I wanted, so emailed, chatted back and forth a few times, and finally asked if I was on the list, and long story short met her partway and picked up Kilt. :) Worth the wait but sheesh!

Now with the start of a breeder's list I do try to be upfront, I give an application, suggest anything that's of concern when I see it and otherwise will take a deposit closer to the breeding. Not going to risk having a whole litter and everyone back out, and not going to spend a ton of time educating people so they can say 'naw, going to get one on kijiji instead anyway'. I've had friends who have had that happen many times - one scribbled all over her 'puppy guide' which cost her $15 to print and bind, had come over many times and asked a lot of questions and spent a ton of time, and in the end they got a doodle because 'it's the same as a golden but doesn't shed'... no health testing done because it's a 'hibrid' (spelled that way on the breeder's site). They returned the book but it was useless as there was pen all over it and 'lost' all the breeder coupon deals she'd gone and organized at local stores for puppy supply discounts.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Breeder communication is of TOP 10 importance to me. Personally, with those kinds of communication issues for that long a period, I'd walk away.

Sh*t happens, breeders get busy, puppies are needy.. but I don't think it's ok to ignore a puppy buyer for THAT LONG. Don't want to sell them a puppy? Email them that the litter is full and take them off the update list so they can go elsewhere. Do want to? Then take the time to respond so they KNOW that.

I am all for general litter updates via email. Breeders are busy, I understand not updating each buyer individually.
BUT if I took the time to fill out your questionnaire (ESPECIALLY if the thing is like 10 pages long lol) or to write an email with a question on a litter I am waiting for... I expect a personal answer. Even if it takes you a bit, I think, as a puppy buyer (someone who has gone through the process and is waiting for a puppy).. I should be treated with some kind of courtesy.

more than the fact that I need to know the answers to these questions. I think it really foreshadows what this breeder is going to be like communicatively in the future..
AKA: If they don't respond to the email while you are still waiting for a puppy...what are the chances of them responding once the transaction is over and you have this puppy?

I like the open ended comfortable breeder communications. I don't need 10 minutes or less email replies, but I think being able to openly communicate and count on a breeder to be there for you is really important.

SaraB

Some people are just kind of flaky with communications. I am. If I set something aside to answer later, when I can give it proper time, then I'm very likely to forget to answer it. It's not intended as a blow off, and the way for people to deal with it is to nag me a little.
This. I do it all the time.

However, in this case it looks like several attempts to contact the breeder were ignored. I'd take that as a sign of a breeder I wouldn't want to deal with and move on. If they can't give you the time of the day during this important time, how can you expect attention when something hereditary or problematic occurs?

Red Chrome

However, in this case it looks like several attempts to contact the breeder were ignored. I'd take that as a sign of a breeder I wouldn't want to deal with and move on. If they can't give you the time of the day during this important time, how can you expect attention when something hereditary or problematic occurs?
I do agree with this.

seashells

See now, this is actually something that I was really happy about with End's breeder, with most of the other breeders it was trying to hash out to them that "I was interested in the breed, eventually wanted a puppy, really liked their dogs, wanted to get to know them more and see if we can talk, etc", but she has it a bit different. I did send a first email just asking if she was comfortable with one of her puppies in a show home (she was thrilled! actually), but she has an entire page where you fill out a form of questions about your life, home, family, past dog experience, current dogs, etc. I really liked it a lot, if forced me no to forget anything, lol!
Yeah, I definitely don't mind breeders being cautious! I think that's a very good thing. It wasn't the form-letter reply that put me off (I was glad to see this person was careful in who they sold to), it was the lack of any further reply after I offered more information about myself and my home. But then again it is hard to get a sense of people via email. I tend to ramble...maybe I came off like a crazy person in my email and they just didn't want to sell me a dog. XD

I think this is why I was much happier with actually meeting breeders in person vs. contacting them via email. I had far more success getting good communication going with breeders when I started going to shows and talking to them there. I think that sends a message that a buyer is more serious, rather than someone just going "Omg I can has puppy?" over the internet. Plus they can probably get an easier feel for who you are in person...and vice-versa! I was able to see which breeders I "clicked" with better when meeting them at shows.

Obviously this is less viable if the breeders you're interested in are across the country...I was adamant about finding one within driving distance (2-3 hours max) because I was too nervous about having a puppy shipped anyway.

I understand. As a buyer, I really understand. I did communicate with all interested parties in the beginning then I took my best candidates and sent a nice polite Sorry but the litter is fully reserved to the rest of them.

I do think it boils down to proving yourself to some breeders. I had to for an AST. Believe me, history of ownership,dogs,health,training methods and other things are all scrutinized by some breeders before they'll place a puppy.
Yes, and I was mostly looking for that with this breeder by sending out a simple "congrats, and I'm still interested over here" letter, but never received anything back after the first "the breeding took" (which it turns out later it didn't) message. As the buyer, I really would appreciate such a note, I'm sure there are those out there who may take such a message as "I wasn't important enough for this breeder, they blew me and my money off", but I honestly would have liked to have known why, most people I'm sure would understand.

And actually I do understand not encouraging people who give you a bad feeling. When I first grudgingly took Scout in I intended to train/socialize her up and place her. Well every single person who was interested was a woman with small children. I guess because Scout is pretty? Anyway I was like eh I'll give you a chance to prove yourself to me... Well not one interested person gave me the right answer on the one key question I asked them.

I asked what they would do if they came home and she had escaped and shredded various things around the house. It happens with this kind of dog, especially one like Scout that has some gereralized anxiety!
Every single one said they would at the very least yell at her. One said they would smack her around.

The astronomical damage that would do to a dog like Scout... Yeah the thought of someone doing that to her literally makes me sick to my stomach. Suffice to say talking to potential adopters was key in my decision to keep her forever.

So I understand not responding to every yahoo who wants a puppy, but some people honestly just want to make sure their breed choice is right for them and want to be actually involved and not just here have some cash.

I dunno, I'm crappy at politics and holy f'ing hell does the dog world have them.
Completely understand! I know of someone in rescue who use to (and more than likely still does) get those people who just answer an application with all the wrong questions! She shared several with me and others and, oh my :yikes:. But then again, that's what an application is for, you would think after doing this breeders application by phone though I would have gotten a yes or no then, not "I'll let you know when the breeding took, then instruct you how to send the deposit" then hear nothing but a few generic reply-alls (including the later one for male enhancement drugs, sorry but I just have to>:rofl1: at that one, but sadly it does prove that it wasn't that she lost my email, in which case she did have my phone number too).

Some people are just kind of flaky with communications. I am. If I set something aside to answer later, when I can give it proper time, then I'm very likely to forget to answer it. It's not intended as a blow off, and the way for people to deal with it is to nag me a little.
...yeah, that about explains how I go about online forums, sorry :doh:, but yes that totally describes me!

Breeder communication is of TOP 10 importance to me. Personally, with those kinds of communication issues for that long a period, I'd walk away.

Sh*t happens, breeders get busy, puppies are needy.. but I don't think it's ok to ignore a puppy buyer for THAT LONG. Don't want to sell them a puppy? Email them that the litter is full and take them off the update list so they can go elsewhere. Do want to? Then take the time to respond so they KNOW that.

I am all for general litter updates via email. Breeders are busy, I understand not updating each buyer individually.
BUT if I took the time to fill out your questionnaire (ESPECIALLY if the thing is like 10 pages long lol) or to write an email with a question on a litter I am waiting for... I expect a personal answer. Even if it takes you a bit, I think, as a puppy buyer (someone who has gone through the process and is waiting for a puppy).. I should be treated with some kind of courtesy.

more than the fact that I need to know the answers to these questions. I think it really foreshadows what this breeder is going to be like communicatively in the future..
AKA: If they don't respond to the email while you are still waiting for a puppy...what are the chances of them responding once the transaction is over and you have this puppy?

I like the open ended comfortable breeder communications. I don't need 10 minutes or less email replies, but I think being able to openly communicate and count on a breeder to be there for you is really important.
Wow, I LOVE this post! Where's the "like" button :thumbup:?

Actually that is a really good point, and worth quoting again.

Yeah, I definitely don't mind breeders being cautious! I think that's a very good thing. It wasn't the form-letter reply that put me off (I was glad to see this person was careful in who they sold to), it was the lack of any further reply after I offered more information about myself and my home. But then again it is hard to get a sense of people via email. I tend to ramble...maybe I came off like a crazy person in my email and they just didn't want to sell me a dog. XD

I think this is why I was much happier with actually meeting breeders in person vs. contacting them via email. I had far more success getting good communication going with breeders when I started going to shows and talking to them there. I think that sends a message that a buyer is more serious, rather than someone just going "Omg I can has puppy?" over the internet. Plus they can probably get an easier feel for who you are in person...and vice-versa! I was able to see which breeders I "clicked" with better when meeting them at shows.

Obviously this is less viable if the breeders you're interested in are across the country...I was adamant about finding one within driving distance (2-3 hours max) because I was too nervous about having a puppy shipped anyway.
Yeah, I honestly would have preferred to deal with a breeder that I could have met prier at least once before committing to anything, but when dealing with a "rare breed" that is a little harder to do, and sadly the only breeder in my state had stopped breeding about 4 or so years before I was finally ready for a puppy, and end's was the next closest, Breeder A was a 2 days drive away and I was all ready for it.

I'm just at odds with what to do if we go for a breeder with this next Pem my mother's so adamant on getting, there are a LOT of breeders within driving distance, Jinjo's breeder is still breeding and is just the next town over, but I really want to make sure we go to the "right" breeder this time, not simply choose by convenience alone, and that might be a bigger challenge than I thought. It makes me think back to a few years ago when I finally decided to approach and talk with a breeder whose dogs I had been gushing over the past couple years ringside, wow, talk about cold and ....yeah. Needless to say, although I would adore getting one of her dogs more than anything, I'm not willing to deal with a breeder of that attitude towards "outsiders", yes my current Pem is a "neutered pet", I'm asking you questions in interest about maybe possibly "upgrading" and I'm heavily complimenting your dogs in particular, you could at least try to look flattered :rolleyes:. To the contrary, she had a "friend" next to her helping with her dogs, and she was VERY nice and very interested in hearing about my guy and my future interest in another dog, but or coarse she wasn't a breeder/breeding (she was there for the agility) and wished me luck finding the "right" next dog. I don't know, she could have just been that way because she had just had all her dogs defeated in the ring that day, but then again I saw her the next year, and there she was standing alone with all her dogs cold to the world, who knows.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Honestly I'm in the group that says breeder communication is a top priority and I'll walk away if I have to really work at getting info.

I contacted a few AmStaff breeders years ago and one really was quite easy to catch via email. Turns out she was also one of the best in that breed and imo it showed in her willingness to share info on her dogs and breeding plans with someone who wasn't ready for a puppy at that exact moment in time. If I had ended up sticking with AmStaffs for my second dog, I would have signed up for one of her puppies in a millisecond.

Aeri's breeder and I chat regularly, even now. I love it. I initially contacted her just to get info on the breed in comparison to ACDs, so I wasn't even a potential puppy buyer at that point, but she was good about answering alllll of my questions. When I fell in love with a puppy in a litter she had but couldn't commit at that point, she didn't blow me off or push too hard, just let me work through it as I needed. When I realized we could make "red girl" work and inquired officially about buying her if she was still available, she was there of course, but nothing changed - she had been genuine through the whole process and thus things went super smoothly. She's been there to share in my little successes, she's offered input on quirks and behavior I was seeing as Aeri grew up, and she and I chat about life in general. I consider her a friend and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Obviously not everyone wants a breeder that available, but I do, and if a breeder and I don't mesh on communication, I suspect we might not mesh elsewhere.

SoCrafty

When I was younger (mid-teens to early 20's) I used to write to breeders all the time. I loved their dogs, wanted to get to know them etc., because every time it would be *almost* the time for me to get a dog and then something would happen and I wouldn't follow through. Now that I'm older, it will be done differently.

Maybe that's what these breeders thought was happening? The Internet makes it so easy for people to reach out and talk and talk but never act on it. I would have probably written back and said, when can I put my deposit down? Or when can I come out and meet the pups so I can see if one meets what I'm looking for?

Gypsydals

Communication from breeders is important. I know I still talk to Ivans breeder either through emails, phone calls or lately its been through facebook. She was there to answer any questions I had or have. Fact is I am planning on getting the next dalmatian from her as well. But it also goes both ways.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
This is one thing that I liked about the BC breeder I had picked out. I totally flaked on her because I was nowhere near ready for a puppy like I foolishly thought I would be. I was included on all the litter updates but never responded to anything. Never sent a deposit in and kind of figured she wouldn't even remember that I existed. Then when the pups were 7 weeks old I got multiple phone calls from her (but at the time I didn't know it was her calling), and finally an email saying "hey, if you're still interested there is a puppy available that I think would be a good fit for what you're looking for."

I was really surprised she made the effort to get in touch with me. Thought it was pretty cool, too. Then I felt like a jerk for not letting her know right away that I wasn't ready.

But I could see how, if a breeder has lots of people that have confirmed their interest... that maybe they'd stop trying to communicate with those they haven't heard from.

I've never really been through the process start to finish though sooo yeah I don't know.

Fran27

If you ask me, it's one of the reasons a lot of people buy from BYBs. 7 years ago I contacted a couple reputable newfoundland breeders. One of them replied to me, telling me that they had no breeding planned for several years but to contact a couple others who had breeding planned sooner. I never heard back from either of the other breeders, even after I sent a couple emails. I was very disappointed to say the least and totally turned off from contacting breeders. And I was in no rush and willing to wait a year too... and contacted pretty much all the breeders on the East Coast.

Barbara!

I was irked mostly because the breeder told me NOT to put a down payment on the puppy yet, and that he would email me or call me when the puppies were born and let me know what they had. I never heard back from him. Even though I emailed and called... He ignored me. Just seems dishonorable, IMO.

Members online

No members online now.