Trick of the week: Jump over arms!

SaraB

This week's trick of the week is to train your dog to jump over your arms. It looks like this: you are kneeling with your arms outstretched to the side. Your dog begins in front of you, jumps over one arm and back over the other arm. This trick is a great beginning trick for disc, it helps your dog generalize the "over" cue and helps dogs that are sensitive to handler pressure to move into their space.

Here is a video:
[YOUTUBE]uOjvaLWDzuI[/YOUTUBE]

Ready... set... go!

Yay fun!

I started this the day before yesterday with Didgie. It ended with her deciding that it was much easier to jump over both my arms at the same time and end up sprawled across my shoulders like a scarf.

We'll be working on that. It's hard for me to reward in the correct position with this because my hands are occupied.

SaraB

Don't quit on me people!! I want to see more involvement in this!

Zuma has been working on this trick, it was really hard at first for her because she's not used to luring and was really uncomfortable about jumping over my arms. We had a lot of sessions where she just quit on me. So it's been in the training stages since the end of summer. However, we had a breakthrough recently when we came back to it. I was able to get a single arm jump for a DISC! Not just a treat, and that was without luring. So happy. We are working on adding that second arm jump.

Zinga just recently started on this, she thinks she needs to land on my head instead. So we'll see how it goes.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I started this with Auggie YEARS ago and never finished it... I bet Payton will learn it very quickly.

I keep meaning to go back to teaching Pay "jump into my arms" too so maybe we'll work on this as a precursor to going back to "jump into my arms."

Gonna have to pass on this one. When we started this in a tricks class (actually through a hula hoop but still jumping) Squash started trying to jump over the baby gates that protect the Kingdom of Pip and the Cats. Now that he's since forgotten such a thing is possible, I don't want to remind him. I don't even want him to see the others doing it. :p

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Both of mine have this one down. It's one of my favorites to do with Mia and it gets a lot of attention with non dog people who have no idea about dog training. she got it in.... one session? Then second session I proofed away from the walls. Now she will do it anywhere. It was super super easy but she loves any jumping tricks. Summer I kind of dropped the second jump so she only jumps over one arm. I may go back and fix hers.

Dex

I want video proof. :D
Lol! When Don gets home tomorrow I'll get some video proof :p

And as an update, Dodger is up to doing both arms in a row without a lure. Little Rafa man is one arm, really low w/ a chair as a block and a lure. He's trying really hard though, but just wants to do 'sit' and 'down'. To be fair, he just mastered those recently and is super excited to do them.. constantly.. even when I'm looking at something else..

Since I was on a roll with Dodger I also started him on 'rebound'. Why you ask? Because I hate my body and really want a 70lb dog hurling himself off me.

SaraB

Lol! When Don gets home tomorrow I'll get some video proof :p

And as an update, Dodger is up to doing both arms in a row without a lure. Little Rafa man is one arm, really low w/ a chair as a block and a lure. He's trying really hard though, but just wants to do 'sit' and 'down'. To be fair, he just mastered those recently and is super excited to do them.. constantly.. even when I'm looking at something else..

Since I was on a roll with Dodger I also started him on 'rebound'. Why you ask? Because I hate my body and really want a 70lb dog hurling himself off me.
Awww Rafa, love that boy. Sits and downs are super amazing.

Also, you are nuts for teaching Dodger to do rebounds! Zuma throws me back and she's only 24lbs. Also, I desperately want to see this.

Dex

Awww Rafa, love that boy. Sits and downs are super amazing.

Also, you are nuts for teaching Dodger to do rebounds! Zuma throws me back and she's only 24lbs. Also, I desperately want to see this.
I will try for video of that too! I think if I brace myself really well it will be okay..

Ok, so when I was out with Didgie tonight I decided to just try it and see if she actually would jump over my arms outside, while amped up. That's a yes.

She was doing 6 jumps in a row and only slammed into my face a couple of times!

Dex

Ok I have some video of the beasts attempting arm overs. Please enjoy the awesome South Park pj pants as well.

Codex
[YOUTUBE]bV4wPrWS-ww[/YOUTUBE]

Dodger
[YOUTUBE]03ZtnCZjbWw[/YOUTUBE]

Edit: I'll figure out why the videos aren't working tomorrow.
Edit#2: Just kidding, I figured it out.

SaraB

You guys rock. Didgie scares me. Dodger needs more space. And those PJ pants are awesome.

I'll see about getting video tomorrow. So incredibly busy lately with school and taxes and life. Ugh.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I need to get a video, but Art has got this one! ^_^

Does anyone elses dog have a certain direction they like to go?

Art doesn't care so we started right arm, around the back, then the left arm. Talon will do it but always wanted to go the wrong direction when he got over the rigth arm, so we switched to going left arm first, around the back, right arm. weirdo lol

Members online