Silver Labs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Renee, that is all we both have are opinions, there is no proof one way or another. Everyone can argue till there blue in the face, there is no scientific proof that proves or disproves the silvers, so why not just live with it instead of bashing these beautiful animals.
It's not the animals themselves that people take such exception to . . . they had nothing to do with how they were bred and brought into the world, or for what reason. The animals are always the real victims and they are the ones who pay the heaviest price. And that is what makes people so angry.

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
Color
The Labrador Retriever coat colors are black, yellow and chocolate. Any other color or a combination of colors is a disqualification. A small white spot on the chest is permissible, but not desirable. White hairs from aging or scarring are not to be misinterpreted as brindling. Black--Blacks are all black. A black with brindle markings or a black with tan markings is a disqualification. Yellow--Yellows may range in color from fox-red to light cream, with variations in shading on the ears, back, and underparts of the dog. Chocolate--Chocolates can vary in shade from light to dark chocolate. Chocolate with brindle or tan markings is a disqualification.

sheps4me

Similar, yes, though some of the white shepherd breeders do health testing, conformation showing as a rare breed, and I've heard of some that are involved in herding. But there is a lot of criticism aimed the practice of breeding for one colour, particular when it's not part of the standard. If you're not doing the health testing, testing the dog in some venue (whether OB, herding, etc.) and working towards betterment of the breed, then IMO you're breeding for money. Consider someone who puts a couple of shepherds together and hopes for a white puppy because someone will pay more for that colour. That's what I would call a BYB.
By the way, in Canada you can't sell a dog as a purebred unless it's registered by the Canadian Kennel Club. Neither of these "breeders" say that their pups come registered by the CKC. Forget this APR stuff - if you're not going to register the pups (and that means microchipping or tattooing each puppy with a CKC registration number before it goes to its new home), then you're not selling purebred dogs. Pretty simple.

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
It's not the animals themselves that people take such exception to . . . they had nothing to do with how they were bred and brought into the world, or for what reason. The animals are always the real victims and they are the ones who pay the heaviest price. And that is what makes people so angry.
exactly!!!!!!!!!!!

i would adopt one from a shelter any day of the week, but i just wont buy from someone breeding out of standard and only for money

S

silverbest

Hi there Pete

I just wanted to say I am actually very good friends with these people.
I own a beautiful silver lab of whom makes my life complete.

I see no reason for people not to breed them, as long as they are healthy and find appropriate homes. I personally do not breed, but that is because I have no interest in breeding. I cannot understand this desperate need for all dogs to be titled, and to be the perfect colour. Who cares?

As long as you are producing healthy happy pups and pups that find good homes...really what else matters?

I guess it is my inexperience that makes me ignorant to all this controversy.

I do know at Country Labs
they do health testing, their dogs are drop dead gorgous, and they have no troubles selling the pups. I also know there seems to be alot of silver breeders around, they all seem to feel what they are doing is correct.
Who am I to argue with that?

Silver Labs are CKC registered...who cares if they are considered chocolate..just look at them. It is obvious they are silver...

S

silverbest

HAHA!
But dame is never used in the French language to describe a female dog, chienne is.
You forget this is Quebec french we are talking about. French Canadian language is not anything like that of France.

It is more of a slang french here in Canada..something I do not speak.

I do think dames is being referred to as ladies. I do often see on websites...queens...that is a female cat not a dog. Never the less it is used.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
I am tore with my thoughts of a silver lab.
i dont understand the pricing. they are different colors, why should the price be higher? if anything much much lower since the are not the standard and cannot be show. i dont think that breeding dogs that dont meet the standard is the best idea. however i believe in preserving the breed more than lots of people i have known.
to me these dogs still look like wamawamiers (sp) there face, head, ears, and of course color. I am not saying they are lab/wammer mixes, but I would had thought that (maybe i still do?)

S

silverbest

I AM French Canadian.:rolleyes:
Really I am not French Canadian.

I think the spelling really is neither here nor there.

It is another way of saying ladies and it is refer to Pete's female dogs right?

So what is wrong with it?

Just something to complain about because you do not like the silver lab.:rolleyes:

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
I AM French Canadian.
lol! ripped!

I see no reason for people not to breed them, as long as they are healthy and find appropriate homes. I personally do not breed, but that is because I have no interest in breeding. I cannot understand this desperate need for all dogs to be titled, and to be the perfect colour. Who cares?
BECAUSE there is too many HOMELESS dogs with NO homes, so breeding is a decision that should not be made lightly, it should only be done for a reason and a good one at that.

S

silverbest

BECAUSE there is too many HOMELESS dogs with NO homes, so breeding is a decision that should not be made lightly, it should only be done for a reason and a good one at that.
But if someone wants a silver lab...will they not get it somewhere? Why not here? At least they do health tests and guarantees.
I know I wanted a silver lab; maybe that makes me bad but it is what I wanted. So I was not going to a homeless dog, I was going to a silver breeder.

Giny

Really I am not French Canadian.

I think the spelling really is neither here nor there.

It is another way of saying ladies and it is refer to Pete's female dogs right?

So what is wrong with it?

Just something to complain about because you do not like the silver lab.:rolleyes:
No, I just thought it was funny, made me chuckle.

And your last comment is something I've grown accustom with people who are BYB or in your case people who defend them. If people question someone’s breeding practice and they can't seem to come up with good answers then it must be because we don't like the dog. Pahhhleasse! I have nothing against the innocent dog, the "breeder" in question I DO have something against though.

peetee07

I must admit this getting a little out of hand, ya come here for simple civilized debate and ya end up getting into a pronounciation and spelling bee debate. Typical really. I should have known better. I love my silvers and i thought someone else would enjoy them as well, they are all perfectly healthy and are at the moment AKC registered are are scheduled for microchips next week to convert them to CKC. Anyways, so much for civilized huh?? The color is a rarity, that is a fact, leave it up the public to decide if they want to pay that or not, if they think it's rediculous then they can purchase a yellow or chocolate. It's up to them now isn't it??

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Hi there Pete

I just wanted to say I am actually very good friends with these people.
I own a beautiful silver lab of whom makes my life complete.

People who are breeding to better the breed is who cares.
As long as you are producing healthy happy pups and pups that find good homes...really what else matters?
That does matter but its the manner in which the pups are produced.
I am going to be completely honest with you. Breeding for color isnt the way to go. You can go on any lab site like
http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/forumdisplay.php?f=9
Or
http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=f3a187d85ee734d35ad625c60df66774
And bring up this topic, post a link to the website get about the same response. Some more harsh than here!
We are dedicated to labs and love the breed. Look at the classifieds I will bet you 100 dollars that you will not see one silver lab classified and if you do its posted by someone who has less then 50 posts. Theres alot of misconception on breeding. Unfortunatly there isnt a way for people who know better to educate everyone in this world. We only are concerned because we care.
We care about the unwanted dogs and the purebreds in homes that are not suitable homes, we care about the health and temperments. We CARE. Otherwise why would we bother? How can so many people be wrong and your friend right? True dog lovers are often like minded on these issues and subjects.
If you want to learn more stick around and learn you will be suprised how fast your mind will change!

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
I must admit this getting a little out of hand, ya come here for simple civilized debate and ya end up getting into a pronounciation and spelling bee debate. Typical really. I should have known better. I love my silvers and i thought someone else would enjoy them as well, they are all perfectly healthy and are at the moment AKC registered are are scheduled for microchips next week to convert them to CKC. Anyways, so much for civilized huh?? The color is a rarity, that is a fact, leave it up the public to decide if they want to pay that or not, if they think it's rediculous then they can purchase a yellow or chocolate. It's up to them now isn't it??
Could you please give me the registered names of your dogs? I would like to look up thier backrounds if you dont mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.