BC, ACD or Aussie?

This morning I went to the San Antonio Livestock Show/Rodeo and got to watch the sheepdog trials. I am now addicted to collies. :eek:

Now I have another dog to consider for the future. I'm an outdoorsy person who likes dogs that are not aloof and yet not extreme velcro. A dog that want's to do something, but yet has (or can be trained to have ) an off switch.

Which of the three would be good for me? I am planning on getting him/her from either a shelter/rescue or private rehome. I don't care if the dog is a mix or not, but he/she has to be under a year old (parents dog will not except anything he views as a "threat" and puppies/young dogs to him are harmless).

I understand about the energy/drive and am planning on ways to work with that. I have acres that me and the dog can find things to do on.

Understanding each dog is an individual, but which breed in general has:
-Low incidence of DA/HA (I've heard bad things about ACDs)
-Few health issues
-Can live with other animals (cats, small pets)? I've never had a herding breed before.

Brushing is not a problem.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Hmm.. from the sounds of it you wouldn't like a staple ACD. They are supposed to be aloof, DR/DA/SSA is definitely an issue in the breed, and if they have a strong herding drive small animals don't mesh well.

I'd personally take a look at Aussies if you are dead set on a herder.

Toller_08

You haven't really supplied much information to go off of, but...

If you don't like velcro, I'd reconsider an Aussie. I thought my Dobermans were extreme velcro dogs, and they are, but Journey surprised me in being just as much so. She ALWAYS wants to be near me, preferably touching. She's always watching.

And although the breed is not supposed to be, she is a huge people lover and not at all reserved. Ever since I posted my last thread, I think the reason people may not always want to pet her is because she looks a little nuts when people make eye contact with her. :rofl1: Her eyes get big and her body goes into full over the top wiggle mode if they look at her too long or approach. Other Aussies I know are much more reserved, but some are just like Journ too.

Also, if you like Border Collies, you might find Aussies to be very bouncy, in your face, comical dogs. All of the Border Collies I've gotten to know are much more serious, more reserved, more intense dogs who look at life more as a job than it seems most Aussies do. Journey does know when it's time to be more serious, but all in all, she thinks life is one big party and is always very, very up and happy.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Toller has a good point for ACD's as well. They become a part of you. Never go to the bathroom alone type dogs.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Yeah, I'd say all 3 breeds have a predisposition of clingyness. That being said, I think your best bet would really be to get out there and meet them, there's a huge variance within the breeds named, and across them too.

You haven't really supplied much information to go off of, but...

If you don't like velcro, I'd reconsider an Aussie. I thought my Dobermans were extreme velcro dogs, and they are, but Journey surprised me in being just as much so. She ALWAYS wants to be near me, preferably touching. She's always watching.

And although the breed is not supposed to be, she is a huge people lover and not at all reserved. Ever since I posted my last thread, I think the reason people may not always want to pet her is because she looks a little nuts when people make eye contact with her. :rofl1: Her eyes get big and her body goes into full over the top wiggle mode if they look at her too long or approach. Other Aussies I know are much more reserved, but some are just like Journ too.

Also, if you like Border Collies, you might find Aussies to be very bouncy, in your face, comical dogs. All of the Border Collies I've gotten to know are much more serious, more reserved, more intense dogs who look at life more as a job than it seems most Aussies do. Journey does know when it's time to be more serious, but all in all, she thinks life is one big party and is always very, very up and happy.
I'm not really sure what I need, so that's part of the problem. :eek:

Abby, GSD X Boxer, sounds a lot like your journey. She is almost 5 and still "happy, happy, joy, joy".

Yeah, I'd say all 3 breeds have a predisposition of clingyness. That being said, I think your best bet would really be to get out there and meet them, there's a huge variance within the breeds named, and across them too.
Problem is, I can't find very many "dog" things in my area. I do volunteer at a shelter, but at of of all the dogs, only one has possible Aussie in the woodpile. She's nice, but super shy and DR at times.
Recon would fit you pretty well. ;)
Send that dog my way.:p
Hmm.. from the sounds of it you wouldn't like a staple ACD. They are supposed to be aloof, DR/DA/SSA is definitely an issue in the breed, and if they have a strong herding drive small animals don't mesh well.

I'd personally take a look at Aussies if you are dead set on a herder.
I'm not really sure what I need. I need a dog that is handler oriented, under 50lb, no professional grooming and can basically get along with other animals.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
This morning I went to the San Antonio Livestock Show/Rodeo and got to watch the sheepdog trials. I am now addicted to collies. :eek:

Now I have another dog to consider for the future. I'm an outdoorsy person who likes dogs that are not aloof and yet not extreme velcro. A dog that want's to do something, but yet has (or can be trained to have ) an off switch.

Which of the three would be good for me? I am planning on getting him/her from either a shelter/rescue or private rehome. I don't care if the dog is a mix or not, but he/she has to be under a year old (parents dog will not except anything he views as a "threat" and puppies/young dogs to him are harmless).

I understand about the energy/drive and am planning on ways to work with that. I have acres that me and the dog can find things to do on.

Understanding each dog is an individual, but which breed in general has:
-Low incidence of DA/HA (I've heard bad things about ACDs)
-Few health issues
-Can live with other animals (cats, small pets)? I've never had a herding breed before.

Brushing is not a problem.
You have a DA dog, if I remember you mentioning it correctly, so I would say no on the ACD. ACDs are very unforgiving to snarky behavior from Other dogs, some can even be worse then pit bulls and once they decide they don't like. Dog then that's it, you have to keep them separated.

You have a DA dog, if I remember you mentioning it correctly, so I would say no on the ACD. ACDs are very unforgiving to snarky behavior from Other dogs, some can even be worse then pit bulls and once they decide they don't like. Dog then that's it, you have to keep them separated.
Thank you for saving me from that!:hail:

I keep spacing him out, even though he is the reason the new dog MUST be under 1yr old. For some reason that is the magic number with him. Anything introduced to him as a baby (cat, goat, rat,etc) and it turns into "his" baby. One of my cats gets groomed daily by him, said cat brought in as a 6 week old rescue.

The reason I can't wait till he passes, is Abby. Before we had Deputy, Zane ended up being boarded at the vets for awhile after he developed an abscess. Abby lost weight, developed severe SA and basically stopped functioning. That all stopped when Zane came back. She didn't have this problem after we got Dep and Zane had to stay at the vets after his Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis attack. She is a dog that needs a dog.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I think if you don't know what you need that going to a shelter and picking out a dog that fits would be a good option. When I was in Texas we had a lot of dogs of all sorts of breed types that would have fit.

We also got in a lot of herding type mixes too.

Last edited:
I think if you don't know what you need that going to a shelter and picking out a dog that fits would be a good option. When I was in Texas we had a lot of dogs of all sorts of breed types that would have fit.

We also got in a lot of herding type mixes too.
That's probably whats going to happen.

The shelters in my area don't really have that much variety. Usually its Pittie X, Lab X or GSD X. I will look when the time comes until I find the right one.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
You said you went to the SA stock show? Then you must be in the San Antonio area, so am I :) you might want to check out San Antonio pets alive: http://www.sanantoniopetsalive.org/adopt/petpoint-adoptable-search/# though I would be honest about that you have a DA dog and need a dog under a year that is laid back and not dominant.

Though I don't think (unless it's purely aesthetic for you) that breed should be as important as temperament, ESP with a DA dog. Though there usually a lot of ACD and BC mixes in the shelters. www.petfinder.com is also a great site, you can search by zip code, state or city, you can also narrow your search by age, breed, type etc ...

Good luck :)

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
That's probably whats going to happen.

The shelters in my area don't really have that much variety. Usually its Pittie X, Lab X or GSD X. I will look when the time comes until I find the right one.
Try Petfinder maybe - you'll be able to see dogs from various private rescues rather than just the local shelters.

You said you went to the SA stock show? Then you must be in the San Antonio area, so am I :) you might want to check out San Antonio pets alive: http://www.sanantoniopetsalive.org/adopt/petpoint-adoptable-search/# though I would be honest about that you have a DA dog and need a dog under a year that is laid back and not dominant.

Though I don't think (unless it's purely aesthetic for you) that breed should be as important as temperament, ESP with a DA dog. Though there usually a lot of ACD and BC mixes in the shelters. www.petfinder.com is also a great site, you can search by zip code, state or city, you can also narrow your search by age, breed, type etc ...

Good luck :)
Thank you! Where do you live? I'm at Canyon Lake.
What is the best way to bring that up, without it sounding like I have this "killer" pit bull? He can and does get along with other dogs, I just don't want to risk an adult (Deputy and him went at it a few times, Abby (brought in at 8 weeks) has only had one fight and that was before Zane was neutered, none since).

I don't really care about breed, I just really care about size right now. I have a joint condition that is only going to get worse, so I need a dog that when he/she is full grown and something happens (injury or illness) I can pick him/her up with no problem. So that means 30 and under. Deputy is the last dog I want over 50lbs, he is so hard to pick up and since he is not always "here", it can get scary.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Thank you! Where do you live? I'm at Canyon Lake.
What is the best way to bring that up, without it sounding like I have this "killer" pit bull? He can and does get along with other dogs, I just don't want to risk an adult (Deputy and him went at it a few times, Abby (brought in at 8 weeks) has only had one fight and that was before Zane was neutered, none since).

I don't really care about breed, I just really care about size right now. I have a joint condition that is only going to get worse, so I need a dog that when he/she is full grown and something happens (injury or illness) I can pick him/her up with no problem. So that means 30 and under. Deputy is the last dog I want over 50lbs, he is so hard to pick up and since he is not always "here", it can get scary.
I live in the Nixon area, out by luling.

Just say that, that you have a dog who is picky about his friends :) I would also (if your other dog isn't picky also) stick with females. Just tell them you need a easy going "submissive" (with other dogs) female under a year old. Or maybe you could foster a few dogs to see how he would do, and you would be helping a dog in need as well :)

Hey ... The most they can say is no, lol :)

I live in the Nixon area, out by luling.

Just say that, that you have a dog who is picky about his friends :) I would also (if your other dog isn't picky also) stick with females. Just tell them you need a easy going "submissive" (with other dogs) female under a year old. Or maybe you could foster a few dogs to see how he would do, and you would be helping a dog in need as well :)

Hey ... The most they can say is no, lol :)
I would love to foster, but our house is too small and my parents hate that idea. Both of them are not dog people and I think it would drive Zane insane (he hates dogs coming and going).

Also, do you know any good trainers or "puppy kindergartens" in the area? I live in the middle of no where and really need to find a way to train and socialize the pup. My training level is "sit, stay and come", anything beyond that I'll need help.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
No I'm sorry, I don't. I have always trained my own. A google search is usually the best place to start. Are you on Facebook? I am friends with a good many trainers and dog people that might be able to help you.

Of course rescue isn't your only option, you can always go with a breeder as well, it is your choice :)

Members online

No members online now.