The dog musing/vent thread

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
72 nails done today. Got Quinn's quick for the first time in three years. She barely bled, didn't cry, but I still feel awful. This was right after I got frustrated because she was pulling her back feet away from me. Ugh :( I want a dremel!
DO IT! They are awesome, and the once or twice I have ground into the quick Siri didn't even notice. Though not sure if not painful or if terrier :p

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
DO IT! They are awesome, and the once or twice I have ground into the quick Siri didn't even notice. Though not sure if not painful or if terrier :p
Definitely worth it as long as the dog allows it or can be taught too. I have so much dremel love.

Toller_08

Ripley hasn't been feeling good since he came back home (he and Keira were away this past weekend cause we were gone), so I called the person he was staying with to see if he got into something. She proceeded to try to tell me that no, he didn't, other than maybe some leaves and whatnot in the yard, and that he was probably just stressed from coming home. Um, no. I know my dog, and I know his stress signs, and he is not stressed. Her reason? Because if he did eat something he shouldn't have, his system would have gotten rid of it by now (three days later). Maybe she's right, maybe not. I don't know why he's not feeling well, but I do know he's not stressed. If anything, maybe he's getting rid of stress from being away and staying at two separate houses on the weekend... but he's not stressed from being home. I wish this person would listen and mind her own business sometimes and understand that I know this dog better than anybody. Also, she said to try crating him tomorrow when we're gone because maybe he's stressed from being shut in my bedroom loose. Then she got mad when she found it he doesn't own a crate anymore. I got rid of it because it was broken, and I haven't gotten a new one yet because he barely used it anyway. And he's been staying loose in my room ever since we moved into this house. I highly doubt it's suddenly a problem. He likes it in there.

But anyway, cleaning up vomit and diarrhea three days in a row in my bedroom really sucks and I hope whatever is bothering him goes away soon. Poor big guy. He virtually never throws up... I can't even remember the last time. Not since he was a puppy I think. He's fine otherwise.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Nail clipping gives me major anxiety. I'm okay with the cats and Ned so far because their nails are so tiny, but Quinn makes me nervous because the quick is more difficult to see and I have to cut way harder. Makes me nervous every time! I really need to look into dremel brands I think...Quinn and Ned are both great with their feet so we wouldn't mind the slightly longer wait (eta: knock on wood LOL. I know it's a very weird feeling for many dogs!) And I've heard they are good for getting quicks to recede back a bit - Quinn has such long quicks!

Toller_08

Nail clipping gives me major anxiety. I'm okay with the cats and Ned so far because their nails are so tiny, but Quinn makes me nervous because the quick is more difficult to see and I have to cut way harder. Makes me nervous every time! I really need to look into dremel brands I think...Quinn and Ned are both great with their feet so we wouldn't mind the slightly longer wait. And I've heard they are good for getting quicks to recede back a bit - Quinn has such long quicks!
Yes, get a dremel! I have the actual Dremel brand, corded, and it looks super heavy duty just for dog nails but I find the cordless ones don't have enough power or battery life for multiple dogs or dogs with thick nails.

I've quicked my dogs with the dremel plenty of times, and it does sting a bit I'm sure, but they're all way better with the dremel than the clipper. It takes some getting used to, and it's scary if they kangaroo kick and slam the dremel into your hand, but I love mine and would never go back to clipping. Not all dogs are perfect for it (Dance is awful for both clippers and the dremel), but I still find it easier than clippers.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Yes, get a dremel! I have the actual Dremel brand, corded, and it looks super heavy duty just for dog nails but I find the cordless ones don't have enough power or battery life for multiple dogs or dogs with thick nails.

I've quicked my dogs with the dremel plenty of times, and it does sting a bit I'm sure, but they're all way better with the dremel than the clipper. It takes some getting used to, and it's scary if they kangaroo kick and slam the dremel into your hand, but I love mine and would never go back to clipping. Not all dogs are perfect for it (Dance is awful for both clippers and the dremel), but I still find it easier than clippers.
Jones is ridiculous if you try to do his nails with the clippers. I'm taking full blown tantrum screaming, and I worked with him since he was a puppy. He has literally NEVER ONCE been quicked, but one day he decided nail clippers were the devil.

I finally switched to a dremel (dremel brand from walmart. cost me about fifty bucks for a two speed corded dremel and some accessories) and aside from Indy, all of the dogs prefer it.

None of them except Jones love it though. Jones I slowly introduced him to the sound, with treats, and now I just smear peanut butter on the door and let him lick it off while I do a foot at a time. He actually cries at the door if another dog is in the bathroom with me getting their nails done. It's kind of ridiculous. I have to crate him to keep him away from the door. :p

crazedACD

$$$ later, Feist is on the mend. Poor girly was absolutely fine this morning, then took a nap and woke up drooling profusely. Had to take her to the vet when I was supposed to be leaving, was worried it was parvovirus because both ends were ick. However, it appears she ate some burrs. THIS PUPPY. Really just glad that was all it was, but honestly, DID SHE HAVE TO EAT THEM? Love the lovebug, she is so darn weird.
I took Fiona (and Romeo) out on a little hike today, and all of a sudden they were both doing the crab walk thing.. :eek: burrs all over them and in their feets! I immediately thought of Feist and was trying to get them off before Fi nommed them!

Red.Apricot

Elsie turned three yesterday. She's an adult dog now, and I love her.

I left her in the car when I went into subway to buy a sandwich for lunch today. She had a huge bag of Zukes and a brand new toy that she knew about on the front seat, and she didn't touch them at all. She curled up on the back seat and fell asleep.

Off to nosework class!

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Um...starting teaching Feist to skateboard. She's now skateboarding around hoping for more treats/tuggy, LOL.

I want to dress Shaman as a spider for halloween. You wouldn't think it would be so hard to find a black shirt to use as a base

k9krazee

Crossbone had his first intro to barn hunt 3 hour workshop yesterday!!

He wasn't terribly rat driven and I had to click/treat any interaction.

He found the rat in 15 sec in the novice course (after doing a tunnel & climb -- playing on the straw was his favorite part) but he didn't give a strong rat indication so I wasn't sure he found the rat. Then he peed. Lol

We're doing another workshop in two weeks and we'll see what happens then!!

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Talon just pooped out a tampon. :mad: :yikes: Argh, this is why the bathroom door is suppose to stay closed. :rolleyes:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
So we are doing impulse control stuf like a lot because Mia's manners have been sliding and uh.... I kind of think its making things worse. Sitting before getting anything mean the release is getting seriously amped up. It seems to be increasing her screeching/spinning/racing around behavior.

Kootenay

Yesterday my SO said out of the blue "I would almost want a Malinois". This is HUGE for him to even admit that he would ever want a dog (of his own), he is not really a dog person, and of all the dogs, the MALINOIS? It made me so pleased. Good girl Onyx.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Abrams is such a good boy. We had training class this evening and he is just...wonderful. Not with his obedience commands (LOL), but with how absolutely bomb proof he is with everything. As soon as we walked into the building he was focusing on me and ignoring everything. Big adolescent Dobe pup barking his fool head off at him? Ignore and stare at Andrea for treats, even when said dog was two feet away and barking. Brush into another dog during loose leash walking time because we handlers were silly and not watching where we were going? Ignore and stare at Andrea for treats while continuing to informally heel.

It is also so nice to have a dog that calmly accepts everything and everyone, but has no drive to go and say hello to everything and everyone. So, so nice.

I also may have taught him to stand in a box and rear like a pony when we were free shaping. :eek:

Also, hooray for tired dog:

Members online

No members online now.