Keep this kitty in your thoughts today

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I can't go into too much detail because this is a case at work and this is obviously a public forum, but...

Last month we had a young cat come in to the clinic in horrible condition. He had been this way for over a week, but the owner wasn't overly concerned. It was bad enough that I left the room, went and pulled a vet out of another room, and said, "This cat needs help. Now." Owner didn't want to euthanize, but she also didn't want to do anything drastic. So she opted to just see what would happen with supportive care, even though the bill was going to be very high.

Cat was with us for about a week on IV fluids, heavy medication, etc., etc. Over this time period I think we all fell in love with him. He is an awesome cat and his spirit to combat his issues was amazing.

He improved so much. Once he was no longer needing fluids/constant TPR checks and had stabilized, we sent him home with medication. He was home for about a week, then starting having minor issues that the owner didn't want to deal with it, so he came back again. He was with us for a few days while we switched around his medication and got him happy and healthy again. Sent him home.

Now he's back again. More minor issues and he needs to be on meds a bit longer. O dropped him off, then called back later and left a message saying to just euthanize him because she's done with him.

We do not want to euthanize him. At all. He is doing so great and recovering so well, he just needs time and proper care. Once he has recovered, his quality of life will be 100%. He just needs time.

I'm not working today and I really don't want to go in to work Thursday to find out he has been killed simply because his owner is done with him. We're really hoping she'll sign him over to us, but then we have to figure out what will become of him once he's with us. We have donated antibiotics which is what he needs right now, but his recovery will take time and if he needs more, someone will have to be financially responsible. And then we'll have to try to find a home for a cat that will have a very minor physical handicap. But he is such a good kitty, and is so worth it.

So say a brief prayer today for this kitty, that he's able to keep on living and is able to find a home that can appreciate him for the special guy he is.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Can he be a clinic cat? Most of the vet's offices I've been at have an office cat, so maybe he can just live there... then he's never far away if he needs some tweaking to meds? Poor guy. =<

~Tucker&Me~

Can he be a clinic cat? Most of the vet's offices I've been at have an office cat, so maybe he can just live there... then he's never far away if he needs some tweaking to meds? Poor guy. =<
This! Can you guys just ask her to sign him over? She may not think of it but if it is mentioned why wouldn't she sign him over? Especially if it is made clear that he can definitely recover if given the proper meds and treatment.

I would have such a hard time not just 'taking' him if she said to euthanize... And telling her I did it :eek: lol.

*blackrose

We are really hoping she'll sign him over. The vet told me last night that she is going to do anything in her power to have him become a "witness protection" kitty. LOL Legally, we can't "euthanize" him and not do it...but, it *may* have happened before with this cat due to a similar circumstance:

(I fostered her for a bit, then placed her with a loving couple with no other animals.)

But, some people are really weird about that...they don't want to sign an animal over due to the "if I can't have him, no one can" mentality.

He can't become a clinic kitty, unfortunately. The building isn't set up to safely contain a cat away from client's animals. But, honestly, the only medications he'll need are going to be antibiotics to keep his fever down and the normal routine things (FeLuk test, neutered, vaccines, worming, etc.). He shouldn't get bad off enough again that he'll need supportive care. *knock on wood*

*blackrose

Things are still up in the air...so I still don't want to disclose too much, but...

Guess who may be dead? And guess what random kitty, that has no relation to the formerly dead kitty, but looks just like him, may now currently be residing at our vet clinic?

:D

His fever is gone, he's eating well, and his stool is starting to return to normal. It's looking like this story is going to have a happy ending. Things aren't finalized yet, but as soon as they are I'll be sure to share pictures and fill in the fuzzy details. And if anyone is interested in adopting a very sweet little boy...

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Sending vibes. Poor cat, a situation like this makes me so sad, when people are willing to help and their hands are tied. (((((HUGS))))) for caring.

*blackrose

Unfortunately....this story does not have a happy ending. :(

Bluejeans (or Smelly Jeans, as we called him), was humanly euthanized this evening. We FeLuk tested him, and he was positive. He never would have been able to heal completely. Which explained his random fevers and the fact that his healing wasn't progressing very well.

I'm sorry your owners failed you, bub. You were a sweet, handsome man, left outdoors, without vaccines, without being neutered, and without consistent monitoring. You were left outside for a week with a completely skinned leg, muscle exposed, infection sinking in, not eating, not drinking. Maybe if you had been neutered, that fight wouldn't have happened. Maybe if you had been vaccinated, you wouldn't have contracted leukemia. Maybe if you had an owner who actually cared, you would still be the wonderful kitty you showed us you were the time you were in our care. I hope you went knowing you were loved, buddy. Sweet dreams.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Oh no... how sad. =< I'm glad he was able to be humanely euthanized though, rather than just left outside to perish on his own, as it sounds like his owner wasn't exactly the most attentive. =< Poor guy.

Kimbers

I'm so sorry for the poor kitty. :(
Wish people were as concerned with keeping cats on their property as most are with dogs. I know it can be hard, but I feel like it would solve so many problems.

Members online

No members online now.